Barnes triple shock?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Wallace, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Wallace

Wallace New Member

I have been reloading a while now and I mainly shoot ballistic tips or soft points. I was wondering what everyone's input was on the barnes triple shock bullet. And also do you use the groove as a canelure or do you taper crimp above the groove at the top? also how well do they perform? Do they mushroom well, or just penetrate like a fmj leaving no wound channel? I want to deliver all the energy to the animal and leave a large enough exit wound to trail the animal if I have to.

2. mseric

mseric New Member

What gun?

What Cartridge?

What game animals?

What distances?

3. Wallace

Wallace New Member

Looking at 243, 270, 7mm08, 223, 22-250, anything around the 2600 and faster velocities. Hunting mostly pigs and deer, at any distance.

4. mseric

mseric New Member

I would not crimp any of those rounds and seat the bullet to whatever OAL gives you the best accuracy.

Unless your 223 is an AR or other semi-auto, then I would crimp with the Lee factory Crimp die into a grove.

The TSX and the TTSX is a killer. The pedals will open up and do extensive damage with an Impact velocity of about 1800fps or higher. Going below 1800fps and the ability to expand and open-up is greatly diminished.

I shoot the TTSX in my Grendel and my 7.62 x 39 for MN Whitetails. I have total confidence in the TTSX to drop em dead as long as I do not go out past 200 yards. Course with the anemic velocities of these two cartridges any bullet will suffer past 200 yards.

5. Wallace

Wallace New Member

Awesome. Thank you for the input, and Yes I will be shooting it out of an AR. The die set I have is RCBS and will crimp as well, I seat the bullets, and then back off the seater and turn my die a quarter turn to do a slight taper crimp. I know Everyone says don't crimp if it isn't in a semi-auto or heavy recoil gun, but every box of factory ammo no matter what it is has a slight taper crimp on the mouth. I'm not shooting bench rest, I'm hunting at 50-300 yards. I was looking at a box of factory Barnes TSX and they seat the bullet just above the top ring of the projectile, but reading some stuff online says to seat and crimp in the top groove. I usually have been reloading soft points with a canelure and crimp in the canelure, but this technically is, but isn't a canelure.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

crimping isnt needed in a ar15. i dont even crimp my 458 winmag full power loads. its just not needed and doing it wrong is worse. all a crimp should ever do is return the case mouth to its outside diameter after belling/flaring and the bullet is seated.

bullets are held in by friction. if your experiencing set back on recoil you got case lube in the neck and didnt remove it or you have undersized bullets for your expander ball or your expander ball is dirty.

7. mseric

mseric New Member

Not exactly, bullets can move in both directions in a semi-auto. In fact getting longer is the norm.

This is from Sierra.

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/reloadbasics/gasgunreload.cfm

I will agree with Sierra that "taper" crimping with the seating die is not such a great Idea and can degrade accuracy. It also comes with a lot of hassles like "Exact" case length and buckled shoulder etc.
    The Lee factory Crimp die on the other hand does just the opposite. It secures the bullet, case length is not critical and it most often Improves accuracy. What's not to luv.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  8. Wallace

Wallace New Member

How much is a Lee factory crimp die?

9. mseric

mseric New Member

10. Wallace

Wallace New Member

Is it one caliber specific or can one die do different loads?

11. mseric

mseric New Member

Caliber specific.