Barnes 85gr tsx?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by The Rev., Feb 23, 2010.

1. The Rev.

The Rev. New Member

I watched the vid. on how they preform on a block of gel but has anyone had good results reloading the 85gr TSX or even the 80gr TTSX. I am going to be using them on whitetail mostly but have a trip to Montana this coming season in which i am going to use my 243 on a cow Elk. I know it is a marginal load but i feel confidant in my hunting ability and what not. anyway comments? stories?

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

With proper placement the 85 gr TSX out of a .243 WILL take an animal the size of a cow elk, BUT...I would not consider a midweight bullet in a .243 to be anywhere close to ideal. I would look at the .270 150 gr or better the 7mm 165-175 gr to be a far better choice.

Will it kill? Sure. Is it humane? I doubt it.

3. The Rev.

The Rev. New Member

As for the caliber issue, a bow has 200ish lbs of energy behind it and a 3 inch or so wound track, with a proper shot and the 100% weight retention of the barnes round i will be fine. also having lived in the area i will be hunting a number of years i have a working knowledge of elk, terain ect... i know it will be a challenge also i am not going to shoot over 200 yds so the round will be traveling really fast at that yardage

4. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

If you are set on using the 243 for elk then stick with the 100 or 105gr bullets with a better construction.

5. The Rev.

The Rev. New Member

any suggestions? also the 105gr i have seen as of yet have been for tac. match

6. The Rev.

The Rev. New Member

on the shelf i have already some:
    hornady 100gr BTSP--Deer/whatever
    hornady sst 95gr-- Deer
    sierra gameking 85gr bthp use them for paper/varmits