bargain .410 slug gun?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by primer, Jan 16, 2012.

1. primer

primer New Member

Looking for .410 for my girl for slug hunting deer. I can't find a h&r that isn't full choked.

2. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

I wouldn't worry too much about the choke, but are you looking for a break action or a pump gun? Also, whats the max price your willing to spend?

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

MOST .410s are full choke. You can still shoot slugs through them. Otherwise there would be a mountain of blown up .410s, and lawyers that sued the ammo companies would be riding in gold plated Rolls- Royces. I have seen a VERY few adjustable choke guns that DID instruct not to shoot slugs if choked down below X, but not a problem for fixed choke guns.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

You might want to reconsider your choice of a .410 for deer. They only shoot an 88 grain slug at a modest velocity. In a shotgun I would recommend stepping up to a 20 ga. Just my $.02

5. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

One thing to add to that. Double check the game laws in the area you will be hunting. Here in the Land of Confusion ( New York State) the minimum shotgun size for big game is a 20 gauge. I don't know where you live, so I certainly do not know the game laws in your area.

You can drop a deer with a .410 IF you remember it's limitations. However a 20 ga. would be a better all around choice.

6. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I think a 410 with slugs out of a cheap break action, used by a novice hunter, should be illegal for deer hunting. At the least it's unethical. Look for a used bolt action 20 gauge. You can usually find those dirt cheap.

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

If you don`t think .410`s are tough, check this out.....but don`t try it at home.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAnbDvLIAac]Lost Arts Part 5: The Little .410 Shotgun that Could - YouTube[/ame]

8. primer

primer New Member

. I talked to several people that took their kids hunting with .410s, all with success. The .410 is the minimum in Ohio where I live. The deer ran the usual 60 yards or so, then dropped. I was thinking .410 because of weight and recoil because my daughter is so small and skinny. I realize she isn't going to drop a 175 lb 12 pointer at 150 yards, I was thinking if she could get a doe or button buck at 50 yards or so would make her the happiest kid around. The look on her face when I told her she couldn't get one with her pink red ryder was heartbreaking.
    One guy said he used a h&r single shot, polished the full choke out of it to improved choke, drilled and tapped it for scope mount and put a red dot on it. His daughter could group 4 inches at 50 yards, which is fine for shot placement on a deer.

9. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Look at Rossi. They make a Combo Kit with barrel in 410 and a 2nd barrel in 22LR, or get a Rossi Trifecta which will also give you a 243 rifle barrel. These guns are actually built pretty good and are known to be good shooters. There's also Pawn Shops for something that might work at a better cost and getting a better product, like an older 410 bolt action. Just be aware that they won't be drilled/tapped for any scope bases---if original.
    Del

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I picked up an H&R Topper delux 20ga for my middle son a few years ago.
    I bought it used for $100.00. We started w/ dove loads and he moved up to high brass #5 for crows. It has an improved cylinder, so slugs are no problem. Recoil is pretty light. You can always get her a recoil pad for her shoulder to start.
    Cabela's: Cabela's Recoil Pad - Right Hand