Baretta 92F magazine springs

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by redscho, Aug 22, 2011.

1. redscho

redscho New Member

I have a 10 round Baretta 92 magazine. It appears the only difference between it and the regular 15 round magazine is the spring. It seems fully compressed with 10 rounds, not allowing any more rounds. Also on the back of the magazine are holes for 4, 7 and 10 rounds. These are the exact same spacing as the holes for 5, 10 and 15 on the 15 round magazine. Can anyone explain this? Can I simply replace the spring with one for a 15 round magazine.

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

No. You'll also need the higher capacity follower as well.

3. redscho

redscho New Member

Now I understand the difference between 10 and 15 round Beretta 92 magazines. The springs seem identical, the followers seem identical. What makes the 10 round magazine take only ten rounds is that there is a groove stamped into the side of the magazine extending 3 1/2 inches from the lip that prevents double stacking, making it essentially a single stack magazine where it takes only 10 rounds. This also explains the identical spacing of the holes at the back of the magazine is 4, 7, 10 vs. 5, 10, 15.

Attached Files:

SWSinTN likes this.
  4. redscho

redscho New Member

Magazine measurements.

10 round - internal width with grooves = 0.50 inches
    15 round - internal width, no grooves = 0.73 inches

5. 70cuda383

70cuda383 Member

HI. I'm new here....figured I'd make my first post.

yes, as pictured, the difference in the 10 vs 15 rnd 9mm mags is the groove making it a single stack mag.

now, on the .40 cal mags from the 96 model guns, the difference in the 10 rnd vs 11 rd mags, is that the 10 round mags have a longer bottom on the follower, so that it bottoms out against the bottom of the magazine preventing you from getting 10 rounds into it.

swap this out from a 11 rnd magazine, or cut the bottom of the follower off (most of them are just composite plastic) you can make the 10 round magazine an 11 round magazine....however...this may be a violation of laws...not sure now that the 1994 crime bill is expired.