Barbers

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Daniel_H, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Try and talk him out of it!

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. Your hair is fine as it is, but he's still your Dad.

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Do as he says - you need a good haircut anyway!

28 vote(s)
    71.8%
  1. Daniel_H

Daniel_H New Member

My Dad insists I look like a shaggy dog, and is going to take me to the barbers with him as soon as he can get the time. Maybe tomorrow!

Quite an event for me, as I've never had short hair.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Look at it this way. He is still the boss until you are out of the house. And this is a way for him to say "I love ya, Buddy" without actually saying it. When you obey his wishes, you're saying the same back to him.

3. Daniel_H

Daniel_H New Member

Point taken.

In fact, none of us can forget he is in charge. I don't think I have much choice about the haircut anyway, so not much point in me posting this really!

But, yes, I do love and respect him.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Ah, it's only hair. It grows back pretty quick. I'm a female and even I don't get too upset about a bad haircut. It's very temporary. Get your haircut and maybe get some gel or some other 'goop' and you can spike it a little to make it a little more up to date. But there's nothing wrong with 'the clean cut' look, either. I guarantee you, it isn't gonna kill ya!

5. Daniel_H

Daniel_H New Member

Yeah, maybe you're right. I've just had longish hair all my life, and I think this cut is going to be much shorter. Dad says I'm starting to look a mess, and a bit like a girl!

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

You'll see. It'll be okay. Will your Mother intervene on your behalf, maybe?

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Personally, the best feeling haircut i've EVER had was a "high and tight" from some old barber guy who finished off the sides with a straight razor. It must've felt 10 degrees cooler when i walked out of that shop. I've had a braided ponytail, short hair, shaved-to-the-skin hair, etc.; it all grows back and gives you a chance for a better cut in a month or so.

Personally, i would go to HIS usual barber and instruct that barber to trim it up significantly but to my taste/instructions.

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

every young man should have a dam Marine Corps high and tight. There is no better haircut out there. I get one every other week.

9. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Get a haircut.

Attached Files:

10. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

My opinion is shave it all off. Start over.

11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

You'll get no sympathy here my friend, hell Benning may come along and shave your head with that "wrought from the furnace of God" blade of his. :p

12. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

From the late 50's till the late 60's my brothers and I all had crew cuts and or flat tops. That, through most of those years, was pretty much in style for youngers. Most all the youngers had that style of hair cut where I came from.

Then about 1970 I decided to grow my hair long. Also, I was able to grow a beard by then and had quit shaving as well. By my sophmore year in high school I was really looking like a shag-nasty, however there were other youngers that looked worse. Of course at that time it was kind of the cool thing to do.

My hair got about half way down by back in lenght. Others had their hair clear down to their arse. I also was also sporting a mutton chops beard. Now having this long hair, although it was the cool in thing to do, was rally a pain in the arse. All that brushing, combing, conditioners, and fancy shampoo,not to mention how screwed up it got working on the farm and other businesses my dad and uncle had. Especially during farming season before the end of the day the sweat combined with dust would literally leave dried ,salty, mud deosits kegged up in my hair. Very nasty. By the time I got to my senior year in HS I decided to get rid of near all the hair and go clean shaven for my senior pics for the year book. By that time my hair was totally trashed and no amount of fancy shampoo or conditioners were of any good. It truely was, for me, one of the best things I ever did for myself back in those years.

Since then, for the most part, I've kept my hair to where I can almost just dry it off with a towel after a shower and I'm good to go.

13. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I also have two grandsons. The 6 Y.O. has had a buzz cut since he was 2 Y.O. Now... My daughter and grandkids have been living with me for about 5 months now. With the younger grandboy my daughter had let his hair grow to unimaginable lenghts and his bangs were hangging down to his upper lip. She would actually put curlers in his bangs to curl them up over his eyes. That really didn't work very well becuse within a couple of hours the hair was hanging into and down past his eyes.

Well then came his second birthday last month and I couldn't take it anymore so I took him to the local barber shop and had his hair cut to what some here call high and tight. The little guy absolultely loves it. My daughter thinks I'm an arsehole for doing it. At least he looks more like his older brother now and my daughter is just starting to get over it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  14. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I'm the stand alone, try and talk him out of it vote. I noticed, telling him to F off was not one of the options(this is a good thing and shows your maturity IMO). So I chose try and talk him out of it because there is no disrespect in talking to someone about something. It sounds like you want your hair a certain way. Explain that to him in an adult manner, provide reasons for why you want your hair that way or why you don't want it short, maybe he will treat you like an adult and respect you back.

However, you live under his roof so it's his rules, try and talk him out of it but if that fails, take it like a man and accept his rules or haircut in this case.

15. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

If that is your hair, you need a hair cut.

16. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

Hippy scum. :D

17. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Ironically or maybe not ironically, I'm in desperate need of a haircut myself. I want to get it cut it looks like crap when it's long cause I'm going bald up top, when it's short it's much better looking. But I'm to damned lazy. I've got to get it done soon though, got a guard weekend coming up.

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ummmm- what is this "hair" thing that you speak of ?

OH! Yeah, now I remember! :D

Frankly, it really does not mean crap. HOWVER, there ARE circumstances (when you are trying to make a good first impression on an employer, college, etc etc) that having shaggy, unkempt hair can get you a BAD first impression (they have not yet come to know and love you for the truly wonderful human being that you are)

When I worked at the Infantry School at Ft. Benning, it was real simple- once a week, go see the barber. Haircuts were $2 plus a buck tip, and I NEVER had to worry about bumping into the General in the hall, and hearing "Major, you need a haircut." I am retired, maybe get a trim every 8-10 weeks- BUT- I do training- and if I am going out for a live presentation, I get a haircut, beard trim, and sharp clothing suitable for the group. I want every advantage I can have walking out in front of my audience.

Just remember, the difference between a bad haircut and a good haircut is 3 weeks. We did have some folks that got their knickers in a twist here a little time back- number of the kids at our ONE high school went to the shaved head routine. They thought the kids were doing the skin head thing. One of the girls in school had cancer, was having chemo, and had lost her hair. The boys did it to let her know "It don't matter".

And really, in the long run, it does not matter. Go get the haircut, there may be things WORTH disagreeing over later- you don't need to use up your ammo for unimportant things.

19. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Maybe it is my sadness for my receding hairline. My thoughts: flaunt it if you've got it! Your hair looks great and I'm sure the chicks dig it (and the guys wish they had it).

Talk him out of it. A middle ground, though, is getting it raised up to the eyes and just below the top of the ear. It'll grow again and then it won't be a big fight. You BOTH win a little that way!

20. freefall

freefall New Member

When I was 19 (lo, these many years ago!) I had hair about 4" below my shoulders. And a job trimming trees out of the power lines for local utility. One day dropping out of a tree with my rope and saddle my hair got caught in my rope, brought me to a stop about 12' from the ground. Had to climb hand over hand 15' back up to a branch to stand on with all my slack rope dangling from my hair. Older guys I was working with nearly died laughing. Had to laugh myself, was pretty comical.