Ballistic Therapy

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by skullcrusher, Feb 3, 2011.

1. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Some of you know my brother is going through some rough times, and I can't even imagine dealing with what he is trying his best to get through.

Anyway, last weekend he visited. I initially asked him if he wanted to go shoot, and he just hem-hawed around. I told him even if he does not, an old friend and I were going to anyway. I threw in that he could get some pistol time in, and he perked up a bit. He told me he had some time scheduled with one of his fellow firemen a few days later to hit the range. All in all, he decided to come along.

We walked down the hill to my home range and he was interested in what I had in the blue case. I said it was a little gun but he would like it. Keep in mind that my brother has not had much handgun experience, in fact he told me he had not shot one in almost a decade. He does not own any, and his *sniffle* wife was against handguns in the house with kids around. He is a shotgun guy, always has been. I showed him the 1911 in the case and his eyes lit up. He had never shot one, but always wanted to.

The best part is that once we started shooting (.22 rifles, .38 and .357 revolvers, a .40 poly pistol and carbine as well as the .45 1911) his demeanor and mood quickly took a turn for the better. Once he got ahold of the 1911, I could not get it away from him. He would help load mags and all, but he kept hold of the 1911. I must say that he was pretty damn good with it, too.

Back at the house after an hour and a half, he was relaxed probably for the first time in a couple of weeks. He laid out on the couch and just relaxed.

He texted me a couple of days later after he went to the range with his co-worker. He was just as relaxed after then as well. I believe he has found a good outlet.

Ballistic Therapy should be something a shrink prescribes to everyone except sociopaths and psycopaths.

So, if you any of you have a loved one or friend in need of some kind of therapy, take them to the range and feed them a steady diet of "bang". :D

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'm glad he had a good time. I must say after I go shooting I have a sense of satisfaction, accomplishment and a good dose of self confidence. I do believe it gives one a good feeling.

3. TheDaggle

TheDaggle New Member

Shooting is my preferred calming technique, too, Skull. Sometimes, after a particularly hectic day, I'll just grab my pistol and a few boxes of ammo and run up the mountain for an hour or so of shooting before dark. I'm never as... 'at peace' as I am on the drive back down.
    I think having something to focus on helps quite a bit, especially something that requires ALL your attention for safety's sake. Also, look what you focus on to shoot well: body position, breathing, smoothness and consistency of motion... it's like hetero yoga :D

4. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Glad to hear you were able to bring a little jpy into his aching heart. Good on you, you are a great brother.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's good news. :)

6. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

Good on you for cheering him up. Full agreement on that the ballistic therapy. I find it very relaxing to just head into the hills for a day, I like to get away from the cities, frankly people get on my nerves, and the air in the mountains is better. But For me its not rapid fire, but almost meditation, controlling the breathing and just steadying oneself for a good long-range shot. Focusing on the shot and not on any challenges in life. Not to mention the satisfaction of blowing a target to shreds!

idk if it's the same for everyone but if shooting is a hobby sport, it should be relaxing for a person to just let loose and enjoy themself on something that requires focus, and gets you away from the noise of the cities.

Someone should do some research on the medicinal effects of a little lead throwing! Heck, if the left-wingers can get marijuana legalized, we should be able to prove that guns are theraputic - we need them to maintain our health! Let's see them confiscate something that would reduce our quality of life!

7. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Couldn't agree more, skull.

Times I've been right stressed out and by the time I get into the comps and have no possible time to think of anything else, I find I've got this smile happening and a sense of contentment. Even if I get a crap score, hey I'm shooting! And how can that be anything but therapeutic :D

Only trouble is, I wish I could do it whenever I wanted...

And I reckon any shrink prescribing shooting here would probably be deregistered as a public danger though lol

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Thanks, Doc. The thing is, he is a true hero. Fire Medic, Trauma (as in one of those guys in the helos) Medic and Associate Professor of EMT. He has been one of my heroes ever since I can remember. It felt really good to be able to help in some way. He was unable to settle, concentrate or carry a long conversaiton before we went shooting. Afterwards he settled down, relaxed and was back to being more himself. He has a long road to haul, and if I can help. I won't lie that I felt like he was hoarding my baby. The bastage was taking mags with him to the line, and not just a couple...all of them. :D

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Well done!! Sometimes, hammering a few hundred 230 grain bullets down range helps take the edge off. I'm glad he could have some time away from the pain of his loss.

Now I have to get another Kleenex!!

10. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

There has to be studies on this kind of therapy done already. Anyone with access to fast net speedz with some "little help?"

Anyone in grad school looking for a PhD dissertation topic?

Grants for me for conducting a study? Funding for at least 20 years of data gathering preferred.

Thanks in advance.

*psst, Jo* Box of tissues every 2 days since here

11. zhuk

zhuk New Member

What a great result, and kudos to the guy...he must have to carry a whole lot of mental stuff around. Bet it feels good to have been able to help him out - even if you had to relinquish your baby (temporarily) :)

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

My range (outdoor) has been working with the Wounded Warrior program. We get some of the youngsters that are in the local VA hospital for long term healing/ rehab, and take them out for a day on the range. Bullets downrange, a Pepsi, cheeseburger from their favorite fast food place.

Not a pshrink, but there is a certain sense of emplowerment- and if you have been feeling extremely helpless, that can be a very good thing.

Sometimes I have to go somewhere else and let my eyes sweat a bit. Some of these youngsters are learning how to walk with a prosthetic leg, how to shoot with a prosthetic hand, etc.

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Really well done Skull. Big props for 'dragging' him along and getting him some much needed relief. You done good brother. ;)

JD

14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I'm an accountant and I work for the government - neither of which is conducive to good mental health. I find shooting holes in stuff extremely therapeutic myself. Skully, I'm glad you could drag your brother out of the doldrums for at least a short time - every little bit of "less pain" time helps dramatically...

15. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

"Outstanding Skull!" You done a body good!!

it is amazing the stress that is relieved from shooting. He is used to an almost daily adrenalin dump to his system, that he has learned to control and needs a new challenge to focus on and accomplish.

It has to do with the anxious anxiety/adrenalin dump, mixed with the hormonal chemical dump of testosterone and estrogen, positively combined with one's deep primal excitement, the emotional feeling of superior power and control over something loud, fast, and very deadly in their hands.

In other words...several vary intensity, emotional multi-orgasms. :cool:

It is a very most satisfying, relaxing, but yet a somewhat, emotional but stress free, draining side effect to one's body one can have with their clothes on. :D

Or not. :confused:

What do you mean? It works for them too!! Both ways!! ;)

16. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Skully, that is awesome! I'm glad to hear you got him out and with a smile on his face.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  17. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

There is no better tonic than lotsa lead downrange, preferably at things that explode. Good job, Skull.

18. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

It's good to hear that in such a tough time, you all could find some peace in a little range time.

19. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

I think it's time for me to go get some ballistic therapy myself. I more commonly refer to it as going to church, since I usually go Sunday morning, my Church of the Holy Bullseye.

20. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Good Job, Skully!