Ballistic Gelatin

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by John_Deer, Sep 7, 2014.

1. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I am looking for an inexpensive way to make ballistic gelatin. I have plenty of ways to mold the gelatin. Everything I am interested in testing would require a lot of gelatin so I am looking for a way to cut costs. Knox gelatin that is used for cooking is expensive. I see why the russians use clay to test their ammo. I really want to test a Hornady SST slug. I called a friend who owns a restaurant supply. I don't think he understands what I want to do. He asked why shoot gelatin? Test the slugs by shooting a deer.

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you have a large enough refrigerator with enough room to chill the gel?

What I have seen online is you make the gelatin, melt it, then mold it again.

3. MisterMcCool

I suppose you can melt and mold again and again?

4. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Just use phone books like Hickock45.....If you can find any. Are they still making them...?

5. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

When I feel the need to check bullet expansion I still use "Dark Ages" technology.. Wet newspapers:)

6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Uniformity of the tests is more important than

the testing media.

Wet paper, cardboard, catalogs, phone books, etc.

The real challenge is to get them in quantity.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

No, but during the winter months I could just put the gelatin outside. I could form the gelatin in a 35 gallon water trough. I don't have to fill it up, just 8" in the bottom. Then I could cut it in strips with a large knife.

Newspaper is an option. I have a hard time getting my wife with the program. It took me 6 months to save 5 milk jugs to test a 9mm. She kept throwing the milk jugs out saying I am not using them. I couldn't get her to understand one or two milk jugs of water cannot catch a bullet. Then we got into an argument about how stupid I am trying to catch a bullet. It was very cold in this house for a couple weeks. I did not speak to her at all.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  8. JWagner

JWagner New Member

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  9. Sharps40

Sharps40 New Member

5 lb gummi bear. No mixing, no mess, pre packaged and tuff as hell

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DHGySOLCbk[/ame]

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I watched a lot of videos. Videos don't give you sources to buy gelatin cheaply. Gelatin is not cheap from what I am seeing. I am just curious. Not running an ammo company or do I care to get on youtube.

11. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Now I'm thinking about making a gummi bear vest...

12. MisterMcCool

I want a gummi bear frame to go around my television.

13. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I test all my ammo on gallon water jugs with 4 layers of denim on the front. Yeah, you can't see a permanent would channel, and yeah the penetration will vary up to the thickness of an entire jug(6") because you can't tell where in the capture jug the projectile would have stopped, but...it's cheap, and the bullet expansion is always identical to gelatin. And once in awhile you do get lucky with close penetration numbers if you get an exit on a jug but it fails to penetrate the next jug, or if it makes a mark on the back of a jug but did not exit. Overall it's a decent expansion testing media.

14. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I tested quite a few .22lr hollow points like this, I believe the thread was called ".22lr expansion test"