Ballistic Fingerprinting?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Sambucca, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Sambucca

Sambucca New Member

What do you think, a worthwhile project or ploy to drive the price of ammunition?

Law enforcement authorities are developing "ballistics databases" and "bullet fingerprints" that will identify bullet casings and fired bullets, and match them to the guns that fired them. Despite the cost, they say this project is worthwhile to help stop crime and has the full support of law-enforcement officials.

However:
    The National Academy of Sciences has released a report saying such tools are still in the dream stage, current technology would yield a data set so large that too many false matches would occur and make the results useless, and the idea that guns and shells have unique "fingerprints" that are actually useable, "has not yet been fully demonstrated scientifically."

The report goes on to praise ballistics as a crime-fighting tool, but notes that, with millions of guns sold annually, the logistics of any tracking system are monumental.

2. Samhain

Samhain New Member

From what I have heard, this is a new feature that is built into a hand gun.
    So far just CA has this in place (anyone living in CA correct me if I'm wrong) I have also been informed this is going to raise the cost of a hand gun that has this technology about $200.

3. Sambucca

Sambucca New Member

Samhain

I actually live in CA I haven't heard anything like that yet, although I have heard its a matter of law in New York.
    This is the first I've heard of it being built into the barrel though.

Thanks

4. Samhain

Samhain New Member

I could have swarn someone was telling me gov. schwarzenegger passed this into law.... I could be wrong..

5. Samhain

Samhain New Member

Micro-stamping

I was thinking of Micro-stamping

Micro-stamping bullet casings may be coming A bill before California lawmakers would require all new semiautomatic pistols sold after 2010 to have a microscopic laser that would etch a tiny stamp into bullet casings every time the gun is fired. The stamp would have the gun’s make, model and serial number in two places, which would help to track violent criminals.
    Supporters of the bill say it is not likely to cause a stir among guns-rights groups, as they wouldn’t be required to turn in their weapons to be updated. Rep. Xavier Becerra, D-Calif., and Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., have announced plans to introduce their own micro-stamping bills in Congress.

6. Samhain

Samhain New Member

This whole thing dosn't matter anyway, the people who have guns legally
    like all of us, don't go around using our firearms in violent crimes.
    The people who do have stolen guns,.... so the best they will be able to do is track it back to the person who had there gun stolen.

7. Sambucca

Sambucca New Member

Samhain

Thanks for the informative update

8. fapprez

fapprez New Member

Or, you can always police your brass. One well placed shot leaves only one casing to retrieve.

9. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

It's not a bill anymore, it passed into law.

10. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Perhaps we should microstamp politicians instead. They cause more trouble than guns do....

11. watfreedom

watfreedom New Member

i have heard that tennessee is trying to pass legislation to have all bullets sold to have serial numbers and when you purchase ammo it will be registered to you. i heard they want to put this into law by 2011. i dont know if this is true or not as a buddy told me this and i have not checked any news to verify but i imagine this would lead to a spike in ammo theft.

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Micro stampinig politicians, LOL! I think Macro stamping would be better. Maybe branding across the forehead?

Just the kind of feel good legislation that does nothing to deter crime.

The issue with "Ballistic Fingerprinting" is the marks left on the case and bullet will change with time. As the gun wears in (or out) the characteristics will change. One could easily burr up the barrel with a rat tail file after comitting a crime or use fire lapping after the bullet is entered into the data base.