Ballester Molina

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Dash70, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Dash70

Dash70 New Member

I saw one at the LGS looked in good shape but they were asking 500 for it. Does that seem reasonable? The only price ranges I've seen are from a few years back for less.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Depending on condition and markings, that may be on the high end of what they usually go for. Not bad guns, but is NOT a 1911A1. It shares grip screws and a magazine with a 1911A1- nothing else. The Sistema 1927s are 1911A1s. Ballester- not.

3. Dash70

Dash70 New Member

Yeah I realize its not the same but still looks like a neat bit of history. They made a lot of them from what I read so not very rare. Thought it might be fun at the range. Maybe I'll make an offer and see if they will come down on price. Would love an old GI 1911 though.

4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

What C3 said.

The Molina is like almost having a 1911, but not quite. It's similar to having a knock-off Rolex or fake Oakley sunglasses. It might look cool to some people, but others will likely see it as a knock-off. They remind me a lot of Llama pistols. No way I'd pay $500 for one.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  5. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Go to sarco, they have better prices on sane gun.

6. Dash70

Dash70 New Member

Thanks for input

7. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/pistols-2.aspx

They have Molina for as low as 300 and Systema for as low as 450. These are quality with new mags and springs, etc. You can have refinished. You do not beat this option.

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

A friend of mine has couple of them. While they aren't a true 1911, they are kind of neat in their own right. I wouldn't mind having one just for the heck of it. But not for $500.

9. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Fake Rolexes are inferior products. The Ballester is a finely made gun that is basically an improvement on the 1911 design.

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Not that much of an improvement or we'd all be shooting BMs today and the 1911 would have become nearly forgotten about.

11. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

The only recognizable difference I see is lack of grip safety. Other than that I'd say who cares. I really don't understand the snobbery around the "A1" stuff. But to reach their own.

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Not exactly snobbery, but some folks get confused, and think that a Ballester is a 1911 design that will have parts interchangeability with a 1911A1, and they do not. While the Sistema guns do, because they were built in a Colt liscensed factory, set up to make 1911s on Colt tools.

The Ballester is a fine pistol in it's own right. It's just nice to know that people have an understanding of what they are buying, and not let them go down a path to disappointment, if they thought they were getting a bargain 1911 that they could buy replacement parts for from multiple manufacturers.

Polish Radom VIS 35 pistols are also a well made pistol, but do not share compatability with a 1911, while they do share a similar look and design.

13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

The engineering of the trigger setup is completely different as well.
    Like SSGN_Doc said, it's about education. The BMs aren't the only one, Stars and some of the old Llamas looked like 1911s but were very different when it was time to buy parts. There have been some very angry folks who thought they were getting a screaming great deal on a "1911" when it turned out it was only 1911ish.
    In an era when one can walk into a gun shop and buy any number of NIB $400ish 1911s that will accept Milspec 1911 parts, it's not really all about snobbery, its about ensuring that people know what they're getting into.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013