baked on finishes

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by dragonsmith, Aug 24, 2010.

1. dragonsmith

dragonsmith New Member

i have done slow rust bluing cold bluing, nitrle blue but have never worked with baked on finishes has anyone tried them and if so with what results

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I've done a couple of frames in GunKote brushed aluminum and have been pleased with the results. The wife had me "change the color" of cabinet knobs/pulls after she saw what I did with the frames. Still no chipping, no cracking, no wearing thin of the color after 5 years. (and this is on cabinet doors where she keeps drink glasses and plates.)

3. Highpower

Highpower New Member

I use Brownells Baking Lacquer for non-ferrous parts and have always had excellent results. Looks like a factory finish and stands up to normal wear and tear. Apply with an air brush and bake as directed.

Never tried it in the rattle cans though, so I can't comment on that product.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've had a couple of guns that were done in Gunkote and it appears to be a tough finish...

5. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

I have use Brownells Baked on Moly In flat black in a rattle can on a slide and barrel on a "Tariq" 1951 Beretta Bragadier clone made in Iraq. and have had good results.
    Sand blast or bead blast first don't polish and spray on 2 thin coats and bake as discribed. Worked great for me.
    F.K.

6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I've been using Brownells GunKote for years. It holds up well, and is easy to reapply when needed.

7. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

I have used the VHT engine enamel paint on my AMD 65.
    It will take up to 550°F you won't get your guns that hot.
    [​IMG]
    It goes on easy, let dry over night, cure (bake) the next day.
    It makes a finish that I can scrub with acetone & it will not come off.(Tryed it)
    That means that gun solvents won't touch this finish.
    Link
    VHT Engine Enamel™
    I use a gas smoker to cure the paint.
    [​IMG]
    To cure it only takes 200°F (93°C) for 20 minutes.

8. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I've been curious about somthing...

I have a Facto-Bake car painting place in my town, was wondering if their paint is any different than normal paint?

Is it the baking that gives it the durability??

Can any paint be baked for better durability??

9. Straight_Shooter

Straight_Shooter New Member

I heartily recommend Cerakote as the most durable finish you can apply. Surface prep and accurate mixing are crucial to get the superior durabilty.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Good question, Big Shrek. I think some coatings are of the slow "air dry" method, while others need high heat to cure.

Maybe a professional car restorer could answer?

11. Biohazard2

Biohazard2 Member

+1 for the Cerakote

12. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit New Member

I was looking into buying a KelTec but didn't want a black one. I found this guy on GunBroker.

GoldenLoki.com

Now I am not pumping him, he just had some info on his site on how he does it and his gallery could give you some ideas. I ended up buying an LCP in raspberry, but I would consider this if I were buying one that I didn't want in black. I was actually thinking a red one and this guy was in driving distance of my house.

13. KMO

KMO New Member

K G Gun Kote

I've had great results using KG Gun Kote, although I found their satin black was too glossy for my taste, and their flat black was too flat. I mix the two colors 50/50 and the results are very close to many factory blue firearms. The finish holds up to everything but bead-blasting...:cool:

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Did one. Put in oven for 45 mins. only later did I find out that oven broke (wondered why it cooled down so fast) Now to wait 2 weeks to redo.