bait casting fishing reels

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Marlinman, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I do alot of cat fishing and bait casters are about the only kind I use for it. So post pics of your favorite ones and tell why w some history on it if you will;)

ForumRunner_20120617_125703.jpg

ForumRunner_20120617_125814.jpg

This reel is a quantifier PQ2000XPS spooled w 20# test green trilene big game and the biggest fish iv caught on it was a 10# yellow channel cat.

ForumRunner_20120617_130114.jpg

ForumRunner_20120617_130210.jpg

This one is an Abu Garcia 6000ct spooled w 20# test trilene big game and the biggest fish iv caught on it was a 65# mud cat(flat head)

ForumRunner_20120617_130744.jpg

ForumRunner_20120617_130849.jpg

This one is an Abu Garcia 5000D spooled w Eagle Claw 20# test and the biggest fish iv caught on it was a 20# blue cat.

2. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Abu 6000 is what I use. 12# trilene on it. Pulled a 30# channel cat with it.

3. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Did you turn it in for a record willfully?

4. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

I have a abu 6000. Never was very good with it. Never caught a fish with it. To busy with knots. Lol

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

You can give it to me. If not I might trade you a big spinning reel for it;)

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I was never any good with a bait casting reel, but I love my spinning reel. :D

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I've never heard of a bait casting reel. How are they different than a 'regular' reel?

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Depends on what you classify as a "regular" reel winds. If its a zebco then its the fact that it has no covers except on the sides. If its a spinning reel its the fact that it doesn't have the flip closed bail and it is stopped by your thumb. A bait caster is the farthest casting, most durable, and best fighting reel made. All because of how the drag can still work the spool even if you never stop reeling where as w a zebco or spinning reel you HAVE to stop reeling in line becadue if you don't it will snap your line and burn your drag out.

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Ah, I see. Interesting.

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya. I can post an example of a spinning reel if you need me to so you can see the differences. I can't post a pic of a zebco because I don't own one of the dang things-its what's considered a beginners reel or old folks reel because of how simple they are to use.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

And it will twist the line so it is unusable. I learned to cast with the old Penn Squidders salt water reels before spinners came out. Braided Dacron or Nylon line as no mono either. Burned thumbs from no brakes. The spinners are great for light baits but just dont have the same drag capability as the casters. I currently have Abu 5500's and 6500's. A lot of spinners too. The spinners are a little easier to handle on a kayak.
    Put pressure on the line and spool with your thumb to clear an over run/backlash. Back the spool up with your thumb if necessary. If you try to clear the line without pressure, the overlapping loops will knot up.

12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yep very true. All but two of my good cat fishing caster have no brakes in em......I have the brakes in bags labeled w the model and rod each reel is on though. Although if you put the line on right it wont twist it up. Hold the spool horizontally like it goes on the reel and you avoid that problem.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  13. willfully armed

Marlin, the KS record is 36#. Mine wasnt quite there.

[​IMG]

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The biggest one I have ever heard of-i saw this one-was 29.5#. Little old lady caught it on her husbands surf rod because he was passed out on the bank. I netted and weighed it for her. She said it was her very first catfish and when asked why that rod was the only one left out for catfish she said her husband had told her to leave it alone because it was hung up. It was hung up alright.......w a GOOD fish under a rock. I had walked down to see if she was doing ok
    and told her to pick the rod up and set the hook because there was a fish hitting it awful hard. She said it had been doing that for bout 20 mins. I said well then its probably hooked itself and that she should just reel him in. Luckily it was a bait caster......otherwise she wouldn't have landed him because she never stopped reeling;) I got it on the bank and congratulated her then went and got my scales. She said her husband had got a bite and wen he set the hook he missed it and had gotten hung and to leave it alone, maybe it would come unhung. I told her he didn't miss the fish.....it just went under a rock on him.

15. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Thanks for the offer, but I want to get the hang of it. My dad uses it offen. He learned on some old metal fishing pool that had black nylon string on it. If I get chance I will send a pic off it.

16. willfully armed

Using a bait caster requires knowing how to properly set the drag

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

You need to keep LIGHT but constant pressure on the spool on a cast and slowly apply pressure when its starting to slow down. Its not the drag you have to set but spool tension. Hold the rod at 2 o'clock approximately w your weight bout 6" from the end eye then very CAREFULLY loosen the knob under and behind the reel handle(silver knob) until the weight SLOWLY lowers towards the ground on its own.

18. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

Ted Williams 550:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's spooled with Sufix Smoke Green 17# test. Needs a brake, which is the same as an Ambassadeur 5000 or 5500.

Which one was the one you wanted to trade for Marlin? That 5000D is pretty sweet!

You older folks probably remember Ted Williams, he was a Baseball player and these reels were made by Sears Roebuck as he helped kickstart they're stores from my understanding.

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Either the 5000d or the silver quantifier.

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

They were bought out-the reels-by Abu Garcia bout 15 years ago. That'd why the green one is the way it is........its one of the ones from before that buy out.