Bag O Medical

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by 25-5, Oct 27, 2012.

1. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I know CPR and a few other necessities, and I have a typical first aid kit. I want to find or make up a kit for injuries that are more serious than a cut finger. I have gotten some info from the forum and gone on line. I find kits rangeing from $40 to $400. I have no idea what the some of the contents are. If I need it all. What's essential. Shelf life. And so on.
    Is there a resource recommended by you folks with experience.
    Thanks!

2. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I'm currently taking a medical person in charge course.

You need to consider what this kits for. You can't give out medications to people, and you can get in trouble trying to play doc, in the current world.
    If you're talking EOTWAWKI, different story I guess.

1st. SCENE SAFETY! Say it ten times. Protect yourself. Get gloves, face masks, antibacterial, etc... Protect yourself.

Take a course, or at least buy a book. My textbook is 'critical care for first responders' (I think that's the name)...

Ask your local volunteer firefighters, what courses they have, and what books they recommend.

3. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

In response to a bag, build your own.

Think of scenarios that you MIGHT be able to help, and what you would need to fix it.

Someone breaks their leg spin kicking a zombie in the head... Splint, bandages, ice, etc...

Someone sliced by assassin ninjas? Suture kit, alcohol to clean wounds...

Someone accidentally shoot themselves in their leg, quick drawing against Soviet invaders?... Suture kit, splint, compression bandages...

Etc...

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Duct Tape and Hydrogen Peroxide.

The medical plan of real men for decades...;)

5. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

Super glue is great for closing cuts...just a thought

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

As much Cipro and other antibiotics as you can stash away also Potassium Iodide to protect against radiation sickness. Never know what scenario will lead to EOTWAWKI...might as well be prepared. In a world without properly operating sewage and water treatment systems Dysentery, Cholera and other water borne diseases will run rampant...plan on having a means to filter and purify all of your drinking water.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Most first aid kits are fine for getting a splinter out of your finger, or putting a bandaid on your papercut.

For my gear- blood clotter. Large compress dressings. clean plastic large enough to cover wounds that penetrate into the lungs (google sucking chest wound) couple of ACE bandages- not only for sprains, but can be used to hold splint or dressing in place. Disposable space blanket. Gloves.

In my MEDICAL gear, I have prescription meds (my Doc is also a hunter, shooter, and back country hiker. He knows I do not self medicate except in an emergency) They include Cipro, a Z pak, pain meds, Pen VK, Potassium Iodide (nuclear power plants in the area) immodium, aspirin, and some lidocaine (topical anesthetic). Yes, have a suture kit (suture self :D) some good hemostats.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I have a complete field surgery kit and first responder training. I can do anything from treat a cut to treat you for severe blood loss while removing the bullet and closing you up.

9. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Will you fit in my BOB?

10. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Superglue was used in Vietnam era medical kits. It worked, but had a high rate of infection, So they developed dermabond. Just a thought before you go filling yourself with superglue. Also, very rarely do you need to stitch a wound, they do that to minimize scar tissue.

11. fireguy

fireguy New Member

The big question about medical supplies is quantity. If an emergency event lasts for a long time you could quickly run out of things like bandaids, guaze pads and cleansers.

I spent 17 years in EMS, more than half of that as a certified training officer. Supplies we used in trauma that I am acquiring in quantity are 2x2 and 4x4 pads, triangle bandages, self-adherant wrap, and sam splints.

In addition to these supplies I would add hydrogen preoxide, betadine solution, veterinary wound wash solutions, and IV supplies.

Tractor supply, or Orscheln's is a good place to find vet med supplies that will work just as well for humans. Amazon is your friend in shopping for supplies as well. Chinook Medical has good prices too.
    Good luck.

12. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I don't want to stop this thread, but I do want to thank you all for the information so far. This was an important one. Many will benefit from your info.

13. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Why stop it? Well keep this ball rolling! I'm in a medical person in charge class, so I'll add things as I learn more.

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Yeah, here's another thought super glue, and crazy glue is-cyocryanolate- it's cyanide-based ...:eek:

15. Old_Paramedic

Old_Paramedic New Member

As a nurse paramedic, I can tell you that you need to learn to improvise in an emergency. for a sucking chest wound (All chest wounds suck) you can use a potato chip bag, a glove, etc. For suturing, you must remember to clean the wound 1st with water or saline solution to PREVENT infection, then with soap and water. If you don't suture, you can use hydrogen peroxide to cauterize and stop bleeding. You can use superglue anywhere there is not a great amount of pulling of the skin making sure wound is clean and dry. Then, if necessary, suture using mono filament fishing line within 4 hours (the sooner the better) and not left in more than 4 - 7 days. cover the wound lightly with dressing and bandage. Change dressing daily if soiled.
    I would stock my bag with:

Nitral or medical gloves
    Elastic bandages 2,4, & 6 inch
    Alcohol and Hydrogen Peroxide
    You can use trees and bushes for a splint
    dental floss saran wrap & emergency Mylar blankets (2)
    needle(s) (curved and straight) and mono filament line (small diameter)
    Matches, zip lock bags for penetrating chest trauma, and to hold supplies
    needle nosed pliers or hemostats (2)
    eye wash (Normal saline solution (0.9% NS)) to wash out wounds before closure, triple antibiotic ointment or creme.
    Large square of muslin or cotton 40 X 40 inches for sling and swath
    3 inch strips of unbleached muslin or clean cotton for tying braces, etc.
    oragel (for topical pain relief)
    benedryl for hives / itching
    aspirin 81mg - 1 bottle chewable
    hydro cortisone creme 1%
    4 X 4 and roll gauze
    Medium sized pocket knife and small LED flashlight
    If you can gain access to drugs,and have the knowledge to use them (can kill you) 1:10,000 Lidocaine 2%
    1:1000 epinephrine for allergic reactions
    scalpels or razor blades
    glucose solution or tablets for diabetic emergencies
    anti nausea and anti diarrhea medications
    Zofran (Rx) im or Phernagan
    D5 & Saline solution with 10 drop drip set (Rx for IV) re-hydration
    some of you will need an MD to write scripts for above if he/she agrees.
    Antibiotics may be useful but remember many people are ALLERGIC to penicillin and have a reactions!

in reality, you need two medical bags - 1 for long term treatments and 1 for emergencies. Remember that you need to get to a place of safety before starting long term treatment - assess airway, breathing, and circulation and if they are intact, proceed to a sheltered area ASAP. (That is why I use 2 bags)

for any additional information you can PM me

16. Seven

Seven New Member

Great post, O_P.

I have a AMK [brand] 2.0 kit in my INCH bag and a 1.0 kit in my GHB. Added a couple of those 'single serve' Imodium packs you find in convenience stores to each. Thanks to your post I'll add a few things to my INCH 'trauma' kit. I keep the first aid kits packed inside my bags. For quick access to the the 'trauma' kit , I picked up a gas mask bag (iirc that's what it is) that attaches to the outside of my pack...

[​IMG]

Added pretty much your list (sort of) with the help of my wife that is a surgical nurse...

[​IMG]