badger Ordinance tac latch, mine sucks, i think..........

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by talbertjm, Apr 27, 2012.

1. talbertjm

talbertjm Member

does anybody have one of these on a bush XM-15, or any other bush. i got one the other day and it seems like there is a lot of play on the initial charge when going to chamber a round. the latch moves back so much causing the charge handle to bend. if the latch was more rigid, the charge handle may not flex so much, any ideas or recommendations on another brand. sorry if this is the millionth question on this.

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

A lot of us are happy with the BCM Gunfighter CH. I have the model 4 mid size and it works well.

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

BCM Vltor Gunfighter. Only problem is its not ambi......not yet anyways. Got 4 myself, never had a problem myself.

4. xRacerX75x

xRacerX75x New Member

Just had a buddy give me a spare BCM Gunfighter and I'm the same as above... very happy with it.

5. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

I have the BCM Mod3 large, love it

6. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

This is the answer. The Gunfighter will work well. Your experience with the Badger is common.

7. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Same as above. BCM Gunfighter, Large, Mod4. Wonderful.

8. ahhhh..the BCM Gunfighter echo chamber....have looked at them..quality product...chose a MechArmor TacOps 1. Ambidextrous, wide enough to use with a scope. Quality product, great people to deal with. Let's see, "love it," "wonderful," "The TacOps will work well," 'very happy with it," etc. There's more than one charging handle that works...

9. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

No doubt there are, buck. Thing is, most of us aren't willing to be guinea pigs for a product. With a good review of a product from someone on the site I trust, I'll venture to spend money on it to try it.

10. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Looks like I'll stick w/ my BCM GF 3 and 4s. I glad to see people adding to the pool of option though.

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I put one on my PSA latch and it works fine , no flex issues or anything like that . Im thinking maybe your charging handle flexing may just be a cheaply made charging handle ?

12. talbertjm

talbertjm Member

thank you guy's, i'll see what i can get one for. i'm so glad i didn't pay full price for that thing. i'm a lefty so i have to charge with my right hand by reaching under the weapon. my hand has slipped off the latch numerous times because of the play. thanks again.

joe

13. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have added Badger Tactical latches on a couple of my uppers, no dissatisfaction to date.

I did use a medium latch BCM charging handle on the upper I assembled. Seems like a very good product.

14. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

The Badger Latch just don't give a ****. It takes what it wants.

15. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Ok guys, help an old grunt understand the advantage of these tactical latches?

I've got 1 AR that I run 2 different uppers on. The lower is a BUSHY XM15 with a drop in Chip McCormic trigger group.

Upper #1 is an LMT M4 type w/16" barrel, quad rails, and an EOTECH

Upper #2 is a custom free float with a heavy 22" SS barrel. Barrel is Black Hole Weaponry, Upper was put together by JS Guns in Olympia WA.

Between both uppers and 6 years of packing an M16A2 while on active duty, I never felt that the mil spec charging handle latch was in any way lacking? So...what am I missing?

2.5 years a Ft. Campbell KY saw me humping through some nasty thick Vegitation and my current local of the PNW is no less dense.

I guess all that experience moving through thick bush makes me leery of hanging any unnecessary "crap catchers" off my SHTF rifle.

Maybe I just need to handle an AR equipped with one to see what I'm missing?

Tack

16. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

The pad on the mod4 (med) is just slightly larger. Perfect for improved performance but not to much bigger. It's also an improved design that takes most of the pressure off of the roll pin which is the biggest reason for failure. It makes things faster and easier.

17. xRacerX75x

xRacerX75x New Member

The Badger Latch is really pretty bad a**!

18. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I like the Badger latch on uppers with hunting / target scopes, easier for me to grasp the charging handle.

For an AR with irons, a small red dot, reflex sight, etc. the standard latch works fine for me. Although I do appreciate the added surface area of the larger pads on the BCM Gunfighters.

19. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

If your rifle is wearing a scope and it sits over top of the latch is makes it hard to work the charging handle without a extended latch especially if you have large hands and big fingers . With a RDS , holographic you really never have the need for one , I will take a pic of one with and without and this will leave a better understanding to people why one may be needed

Standard latch
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Badger Latch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  20. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Aha...Ok, now I get it. I do run a fixed 10 power w/mil dot reticle on my 22" upper but for proper eye relief, elevation, and my personal need to have my nose touching the charging handle, "how the teach it at FT Benning", I've got my scope atop a YHM mount that elevates and extends my rail beyond the hand guard so my scopes eye piece never impeded my mil spec charging handle.

...but if your does, then I guess one of these makes perfect sence.

Tack