Bad Venison?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by PrimePorkchop, Mar 11, 2012.

1. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

This is the first year i've attempted deer steaks. In years past, i've always opted for jerky/snacksticks/burger combos.

So that being said, im no expert what so ever. I field dressed my kill within an hour of shooting it. It was not a gut shot, but I did clip the top of the stomach right at the end of field dressing, washed it out thoroughly with water.

Took the deer to a professional processor, got all my meat packaged, and brought it home, stuck it right in the deep freezer.

Today, I pulled out some leg steaks, let them thaw in the refrigerator for a while, long story short, when I went to open the package and set them up to be marinaded, it just didn't smell right to me.

I have nothing to compare it to - to my knowledge, i've never smelled rotten meat of any kind (except rotten nightcrawlers...those are horrid)

The only thing I can compare the smell to is what your hands smell like after field dressing.

Two things worry me that it might be spoiled:

#1.) When field dressing, I was concerned I may have left too much of the esophagus in...the thought didn't occur to me until after the fact however, so if this was the case, it was too late to do anything about

#2.) I ended up running some lukewarm water in the kitchen sink so to help the steaks thaw faster (they took all damn day!) and I forgot about them for a few hours past the thaw point. The package was still slightly cooler than room temperature, but was by no means cold when I made it back to get it.

I took a picture of the meat. It does not feel "smiley" nor is there any snotty portions that came off the meat.

Perhaps it's a "gamey" scent? I've never smelled a deer steak, raw, to know for sure (tasted it plenty of times though!)

The stuff all over was part of the marinade. After setting here for a while thinking about it, I decide to wash off the marinade and take a picture of the meat as it was...perhaps that's some sort of indication?

As for the smell, it's definitely noticeable. It doesn't reach out and punch you in the face, but it more gently slaps you silly and you take notice like "Whoah!? Is this bad?" Speaking as a guy, its one of those smells that's not necessarily pleasant, but you keep wanting to smell it anyways.

Damn our confounded technology - when will we be able to send smells via the internet?

Anybody got any recommendations?

And if it is spoiled, should it be safe to fry up and give to my dogs?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  2. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

I have some Elk meat that smells until its fully cooked. I'd say if you don't leave it out to thaw to long its fine.

That's just me. No sound reasoning or science behind my opinion. I eat anything.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'll bet it's just the smell of raw venison that you're not used to.

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Looks good to me......wild meat ike that does have a whang to it when raw though

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

5. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

okay - another person messaged me and said to cut it open, if it's red inside, it's good.

Well, it's red inside, so im going to try it =)

If you don't hear from me again...well...it's been nice knowin' ya'll =)

6. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I like to marinate venison in Italian dressing, it seems to cut the scent and give the meat excellent flavor. Also use a little olive oil, it keeps it moist after cooking. DON'T overcook it , especially on the grill. Happy eating.

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yes do not over cook it. I always cook deer and elk till its slightly pink in the middle. Cut it into strips bout 1/8" thick.

8. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

well for my first round of venison steaks, I unfortunately don't have any italian dressing and very little olive oil...so im just going with a very basic marinade...salt, pepper, onions, little bit of cayenne pepper & olive oil with a douse of vinegar

But I do appreciate the tip - im going to try that next time!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  9. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

what are your thoughts on smoking it? Thats what I planned on doing ... unless there are some who would advise against it

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I like it....mesquite and hickory works best for me

11. paintsplat

paintsplat New Member

In my experience raw venison smells different than raw beef, more gamy or wild, even while cooking, more so if the deer feeds in swampy areas than agricultural areas,

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

porkchop, one of the methods we used with wild game to reduce the gamey smell and flavor was milk. if it came out of the freezer, we placed it in a large bowl and poured milk over it till it was covered, then covered the bowl with a lid or foil, then put it into the fridge and let it thaw out. if it was in the fridge, soak it in a bowl covered with milk for at least 10-12 hours. we generally chicken fried our deer meat. BTW, the milk when finished using it, the dogs or cats really like it!

13. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

We have venison steaks all the time, it does have a much stronger smell than you will find with beef, for pan frying venison we like to cut the steaks thin 1/4" or slightly less, if you want to grill the steaks its nicer to have them a little thicker. When frying get your pan hot and throw it in, when the "blood" starts to come through the top flip it over and when it come through on the other side we consider it done, it stays more tender that way, overcooking can reduce it to shoe leather

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Has anyone heard from PPC this morning. ;)

15. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

LOL!

I haven't eaten it yet, was just marinating ... the moment of truth will come tonight =)

Im feeling more confident now, however :D

16. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

I has butterfly chops the other week marinades in italian dressing. The meet was a like strong raw, but it was good none the less. I don't really see a need to worry about drying a marinaded venison chop out, unless you over grill it. I normally grill for 5 min. Then flip. until desired color.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

my preference is smoked on the grill. just remember there is like zero fat in deer meat so it cooks a little different

18. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

OK, one of the best rubs for game meat is a Brazilian rub. Here it is.
    You make this in bulk and store it in the freezer, you need a food processer.
    4 or 5 whole cloves of garlic, the whole bulb cleaned.
    3 tablespoons whole black pepper corns.
    2 tablespoons Kosher salt (less sodium, more flavor)
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    1/8 cup olive oil.

Toss everything into the processer, buzz it till it is a paste. If it is not a paste and still chunky, add a touch more oil. and buzz it again.
    Rub it on you steaks and let sit a minimum of 20 minutes. 2 to 4 hours is better, overnight is best. You can also perferate the steaks w/ a fork after putting the rub on, it will tenderize the meat. Don't be shy w/ the rub.

Cook your steaks over charcoal for best results.

Great on Beef also.

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

This is some awesome stuff here. I usually add some ground dried jalapeno to mine but.....i like spicy;)

20. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Problem is too often you take good care of your meat. The Damn meat packers just throw everything together. You may end up with meat that has rode around in a truck for a day.:( As for as cooking, I much prefer pounding it out with a meat hamer. Then chicken fry the meat. I never use any of those home made dips.:)