Bad trigger on Springfield RO.

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Dearhunter, May 6, 2014.

1. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I received my Springfield Range Officer last Friday evening. Upon inspection it looked good. Put in a snap-cap (dummy round) to feel out the trigger, thats when it all went down hill!! It is the worst trigger pull I have ever experienced on a 1911. I have been shooting competition with 1911's since 1972. I own four of them, this is my fifth. Even my cheap Tisas is smoother and lighter than the RO. The trigger seems to bind, give a little then bind again and then it hits the trigger release. I have not cleaned or taken the gun apart. I emailed Springfield Amory first to see what they had to say. As of today, I have not had an answer from them. I will call tomorrow.

I have shot a friends RO at my gun club, and the trigger on that one was nothing like this.

Anyone else had any issues with the RO trigger?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Wait for SA's response.

If it were mine, I would completely disassemble and look for wear marks on the trigger bow.

Bind, clear, bind could be something in the trigger bow channel.

Please keep us informed.

3. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

The only question I have if you are in competition, why would you buy a Springfield?

I just figured you guys bought those high class pistols in 1911, no offense intended, just wondering that's all.

4. Dearhunter

I have a Colt Gold Cup match and a RI match 1911 that I use regular in matches. In my Military shooting team days, I used a Springfield matched 1911 in winning most of my championships. I bought this out of nostalgia. Plus, I tried one out and had a three inch group at 25 yards. Soooooo

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

strange indeed. every SA 1911 i have ever owned had a great trigger including my current one.

my suggestion, would be to do a complete strip down and then clean everything an re-oil it and reassemble it and see if it works better.

as DanFl suggested, maybe the trigger bow is a little out of adjustment?

6. ParhfinderAFW

ParhfinderAFW New Member

I've seen some Springfields with awful triggers but they were older ones. Personally, I'd just give the bow a quick lick with a stone. Possibly the bearing surfaces of the sear and disconnector but only if you know what you are doing and function check after. I'm also a fan of boosting. Some great tutorials on the web. 1911s can be finicky to get them the way you want due to the fitting involved.

Sent from my iPod touch using Firearms Talk

7. danf_fl

I've got over 25 years of shooting my Springer in competition.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Trigger is great on mine- hope it gets corrected-

9. Dearhunter

Got a reply from Springfield Amory about my RO.
    Shoot the gun and if the trigger is still is not right. Contact us again.
    So, I will shoot a couple boxes and see what happens.
    $45 of ammo! to find out if the trigger is OK.

10. Axxe55

i am pretty sure it's going to be an easy or simple fix to make it right.

11. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

that is odd.

awful trigger...what is is doing or not doing? is it heavy? gritty? lots and lot's of take up (I hate a lot of take up on a trigger myself)?

what's it doing in particular...maybe someone here has seen it and knows the answer before you spend 45 bucks on ammo for nothing.

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Tell'em you shot a hundred & contact them again-

13. Axxe55

now that would be fudging the truth a bit!:p

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Just a bit :p

15. danf_fl

If I may suggest....

Send the gun to willing volunteers who are willing to test it.
    If you send the gun to 10 people (me first), and each shoot 50 rounds, that equals 500 rounds in no time. :)

16. Axxe55

i'll volunteer to be a tester!:D

17. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

i'll put a box through it.

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I went through a similar experience with Kel Tec. They blamed the ammo, the gun needs to be shot 250 times to break it in. I finally got Kel Tec to take the gun back. After a 5 month vacation in FL I get the gun back. The feed ramp is cut into a tiny triangle. I am not even going to shoot the gun like that. I call kel Tec they try to blame everything but the fact the feed ramp is gone. Finally Kel Tec agrees to take the gun back. I call my credit card company to see if buyer protection will cover this screw up. We have a conference call with kel tec. Two weeks later my gun is back working like a champ.

19. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I was looking at the RO in 9MM,..wound up with the RI, but I may get another one. Well see

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

20. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I've got the RIA Tactical - think you'll like it :)
    But I've got the RO in 45 & love it so of course i'm wanting the same in 9mm- What to do what to do :confused: