Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sleeping and got woke up like normal by my wife to Walk her to her car early this morning.(she works at a Bakery).
We immediately noticed our car had been broken in to.
All they got was a digital camera.
With the memory card that has 3 years of photos of our kids :-(

So we called the cops to make a report. While waiting for 2&1/2 hours...LOL @ about 5:00am we went outside to look at the car again.
I started Putting my belt on over my house shorts because I wanted to put on my pistol.
As im snapping the 9mm in the serpa, I (not knowing she went outside without me) hear her scream my name! I ran outside(weapon holstered and concealed legally) saw her frozen on the sidewalk and looking at a car with two guys in it opening their doors. As soon as I turned the corner of the building and I saw them, they saw me and immediately hauled ace.

Damn that was scary
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
465 Posts
That does sound scary. Glad you were armed. I would make sure that you and the wife are armed all the time for the next little bit, just in case. Also might want to call the police and ask for a couple of extra patrols in your area. Be careful, stay sharp and good luck.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,611 Posts
Opportunity Knocks

The small version of what "modern policing" called "the broken window theory" (not related to the economics parable)... A broken-into car is a target of opportunity -- they were just taking advantage of the good luck which presented itself. The already broken into vehicle was inviting. SOme would say a public nuissance thereby.

It wasn't the same guy(s) as had been been brazen enough to start the situation. You and your wife were in no danger. The second break in...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
eborden1122 said:
That does sound scary. Glad you were armed. I would make sure that you and the wife are armed all the time for the next little bit, just in case. Also might want to call the police and ask for a couple of extra patrols in your area. Be careful, stay sharp and good luck.
Thank you.
We had been considering getting her a gun for a while. When we had the money she decided to wait. She wasn't ready to carry one.
Now she is singing a different tune.

Lunch right now then shopping!
 

·
Supporting Member
Joined
·
12,444 Posts
gaspump

Glad you were armed and you and the wife are OK. Also sounds like you may live in a bad area since they returned after the initial crime. That is pretty dog gone brazing! Or they were additional opportunists? I certainly would be looking in to personal CCW personal protection & defense classes. And get your wife one of the new Tasers if not a Pistol of her own. Another thing comes to mind regarding past experiences. When confronting either intentionally or by accident anyone in this fashion, know your surroundings and have a pre-mental plan. This means mentally "What If" training in your mind and practicing for an occasion before it would actually happen. Which would include the location of cover in your yard, safe observation areas and the like. We had a man in Indy who approached two individuals breaking into his car and they shot an killed him one morning. So use extreme caution and always be prepared "In Advance!" Mentally train and plan ahead so you will respond effectively if an event like this should ever occur again. We pray not! Being in the open with no cover is a bad place to be should they have a weapon.

03
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
34,524 Posts
So, the second car was someone else? Not the first guy who broke in?

I'm glad you are all safe.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
0 Posts
Thank you.
We had been considering getting her a gun for a while. When we had the money she decided to wait. She wasn't ready to carry one.
Now she is singing a different tune.

Lunch right now then shopping!
glad everything turned out okay. yes definately time for some training and a new pistol. better to have one and not need it, than to need it and not have one.

the part that worries me is they saw your wife and were still getting out of the car! that part would scare the hell out me, if it had happened to me and my wife. only after seeing you they took off! that in itself is very scary.
 

·
Supporting Member
Joined
·
12,444 Posts
Winds,

Must have been a second car and not theirs after reading it again!

03
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
winds-of-change said:
So, the second car was someone else? Not the first guy who broke in?

I'm glad you are all safe.
Thanks. It may or may not have been the first thief's.
I think it was. I think they rode buy and saw an opportunity to get the wallet they didn't find.
Glad I was there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,294 Posts
Scary for sure! Glad everyone is OK! My wife and I have been discussing getting her a pistol when funds allow. I don't like leaving for work and leaving her empty handed! She's on the small side (5' 1"), so not very intimidating. The shotgun scares her, so we're thinking another XD9 = compatible ammo, and no second guessing operation in a stressful situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,826 Posts
Definitely scary. I've gon outside once to find my truck broken into. I didn't have anything in there to steal, so I just ended up with a broken window and my paperwork from my glove box scattered around.

Since you all have indentified a need for her to be escorted to the car in the first place it seems like it might be time to look at a new lease somewhere else if you are not purchasing a home.

Also, knowing that the area is dangerous it seems like a good time to consider doing a quick inventory of the car before going inside and locking it up for the night. I'd try to leave it as empty as possible. I definitely wouldn't leave a wallet in there or anything else that a druggie would think that they could pawn easily.

Glad no one was hurt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
axxe55 said:
glad everything turned out okay. yes definately time for some training and a new pistol. better to have one and not need it, than to need it and not have one.

the part that worries me is they saw your wife and were still getting out of the car! that part would scare the hell out me, if it had happened to me and my wife. only after seeing you they took off! that in itself is very scary.
Yes it was.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sniper03 said:
gaspump

Glad you were armed and you and the wife are OK. Also sounds like you may live in a bad area since they returned after the initial crime. That is pretty dog gone brazing! Or they were additional opportunists? I certainly would be looking in to personal CCW personal protection & defense classes. And get your wife one of the new Tasers if not a Pistol of her own. Another thing comes to mind regarding past experiences. When confronting either intentionally or by accident anyone in this fashion, know your surroundings and have a pre-mental plan. This means mentally "What If" training in your mind and practicing for an occasion before it would actually happen. Which would include the location of cover in your yard, safe observation areas and the like. We had a man in Indy who approached two individuals breaking into his car and they shot an killed him one morning. So use extreme caution and always be prepared "In Advance!" Mentally train and plan ahead so you will respond effectively if an event like this should ever occur again. We pray not! Being in the open with no cover is a bad place to be should they have a weapon.

03
I had a low car in between myself and the guys. I already planned on using it as cover
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SSGN_Doc said:
Definitely scary. I've gon outside once to find my truck broken into. I didn't have anything in there to steal, so I just ended up with a broken window and my paperwork from my glove box scattered around.

Since you all have indentified a need for her to be escorted to the car in the first place it seems like it might be time to look at a new lease somewhere else if you are not purchasing a home.

Also, knowing that the area is dangerous it seems like a good time to consider doing a quick inventory of the car before going inside and locking it up for the night. I'd try to leave it as empty as possible. I definitely wouldn't leave a wallet in there or anything else that a druggie would think that they could pawn easily.

Glad no one was hurt.
Yes. For sure. We have plans to get away from the apartments as soon as $ allow us to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now she is ticking me off. Lol
We went gun shopping.... she is so cheap! The only gun she wants is so crappy I don't want to buy it!
Sheesh!
Cobra .380 $170
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top