Bad Ruger

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by JimRau, Feb 23, 2014.

1. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I got a Ruger SR-7.62 and I put a 1 3/4x6 Leopold on it. The trigger is the worst trigger I have EVER experienced in my entire life! I put it on the bench and with 10 different loads the best group I got was about 2 3/4 inches and the average was about 4 inches.:mad: (three shots at 100 yds)
    Now add to this TWO slam fires in less than 50 rounds!:eek:
    I am going to have a heart to heart with Ruger CS tomorrow.:mad:

2. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

The trigger likely needs some breaking in.
    The SR762 has garnered great reviews for accuracy so its likely the trigger throwing you off :)

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Yeah, I would talk to Ruger before doing anything else not just because of the trigger issue but the slam fire issue is a major safety thing.

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

I'm willing to bet Ruger will make it right.

It was time for a new signature. This is what you get.

5. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

Is that a 444?

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

7. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

The bolt slams into a chambered round and sets it off. Happens more often on guns with a floating firing pin. The pin gets dirty, gets stuck sticking out of the bolt, and slams into a round. Of course, there are other ways it can happen too.

Most AR-15s have a floating firing pin. The SKS is particularly notorious for slam fires.

8. junglejim

junglejim New Member

Any further news? What did Ruger say?
    I assume Ruger said "send it back"
    or at least that is what they should have said.
    Keep us posted.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  9. JimRau

After four phone calls it is in rout to Ruger. I will let you know what happens. This is a Davidson's gun so I could have simply sent it back to Davidson and got a new one, but they put the gun up for sale on their 'bargain' list and sell it without any warranty. I could not bring myself to keep this gun in circulation in this condition. Not only is it unsafe, but VERY bad PR for Ruger.:)

10. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

I've always had good luck with ruger customer service. I wonder why that gun was in a bargain list with no warranty. I thought the Sr 762 just came to the market within the past year? I've heard nothing but good thing about that gun. I wish you luck getting it fixed. Let us know how you make out.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

11. JimRau

I saw the reviews, that is why I decided to get one. I can 'control' even a bad trigger on the bench so it was not a factor in the lack of accuracy.;)

12. JimRau

You misunderstood. IF I had sent it back to Davidson's they would have simply sold it on their 'bargain list'. I elected NOT to send it back to them and let them put it on their 'barging list' and resale it:)

13. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Cool that you let Ruger fix it for you Jim. I'm planning on an SR7.62 as my next Major Long gun purchase, so please keep me informed. I have your eMail,..I actually owe you a phone call for the solid advice you gave me Prior....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

Everyone hits a shank now and then. Its how its handled when one lands in a customer's hands that matters.

15. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Ah, gotcha. Well, again best of luck with the rifle.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

16. junglejim

junglejim New Member

I bet it will get fixed - and correctly. I'm sure they'd never let a gun that slam fires out of their shop.

Keep us posted. Everybody pays attention to customer service reports.

17. JimRau

Roger that. I hope you stay WARM and dry.:)

18. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Curious.........was the rig torn down (esp the bolt carrier group) and cleaned/inspected before using?

19. JimRau

Not completely dissembled. The bolt carrier group was removed inspected and lubed and the bbl and chamber were cleaned before it was fired.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

That's all you should have to do