Bad jam

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by JolietGunner, May 22, 2013.

1. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

I was just at the range and my gun jammed.I have a S&W 22a.What happend was I pit a mag in and cocked it and the gun wouldnt fire our let me pull the rack back to clear.A worker at the range was nice enough to help.He took the gun into the shop and cleared it then brought it back to me. my question is what did he do so I know for next time?

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Thought it was a food recall for a minute there.

I wonder if he didn't just apply more force than would be pleasing to watch using a rubber mallet?

3. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

Ya im asking whats safe to do with a live round in it?

4. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Anything you have to do to get it out. Just keep it pointed down range and keep everything away from the muzzle and eyes and ears on. Basically, use common sense and be aware of every finger and where it is in relation to the muzzle. I have had some pretty bad jams before too, some that just require a few strong hits.

5. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

I couldnt pull the rack back at all it was in the closed position

6. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Did you drop the mag? Honestly that's the first thing you should do, not only is it safest, but it's also most productive in clearing a jam. Other than that, force is key!

7. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

yes I drop the mag as soon as a gun jams.Is it safe to disassemble if the rack wont move?

8. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

That just doesn't make sense to me. Did you shine a light into the mag well? You can keep the muzzle pointed down range, just flip upside down and take a peak... having eyes on the problem helps to understand what is needed to correct it.

Stupid question, are you sure your safety was off? Many safeties are a slide lock function.

9. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

Ya the safety was off

10. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Hmmmm.. very odd m'man, you've got me.

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

I'm sure it depends on your gun, but I do it all the time for my Bersa .22. Well maybe not ALL the time, but it seems like lately everytime I go to the range I've had to disassemble it in order to get something unstuck. It's always just a spent casing... I think my extractor is broke...

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Or Chamber needs polishing. Or extractor spring is weak and simply needs replacing. Maybe the extractor simply needs reshaping or replacing. Is easier than you may think.

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

May be easier than I think, but I'm still gonna just send it into Bersa. Lifetime warranty is there for a reason. Plus I don't know the first thing about any of that stuff, and am pretty clumsy. I'd hate to make it worse.

14. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Lol, no doubt.

15. Kraj

Kraj New Member

I find that it is easier to hold the slide and hit the frame of the gun forward than pull the slide back when it's really stuck. I just ram my hand forward like I'm coming in to grip the gun. Just watch your trigger finger

16. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

Thanks Ill try that if it happends again

17. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

With a 22a you have to have the slide back in order to disassemble.

18. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

Yes I know IDK wha I was thinking when I said that :)

19. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Just a safety side note.
    Never look down in the barrel to see the problem that has occurred.