Bad, Good and Great AR 15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Jagermeister, May 8, 2013.

1. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I am starting to see posts on, "should I buy this AR 15?". There are plenty of US companies coming out of the woodwork with their version of an AR rifle. I do not have access to US companies, but live in an area where you can only buy great ARs. I am not bragging here-Hera Arms, Sig, HK, Oberland Arms and Schmeisser are the only options available in Germany. You will spend at least 2,000 dollars. Still, to help newbies to the AR, which of the companies have bad, good and great rifles?

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I think we have been over this about 500 times :D . Do your research before you buy it not after . I see alot of people come on here and ask how their Brand X is that they just bought .
    NO, NO, NO NO NO !!!!!!!
    You do this before you buy it not after
    99.9 % of the Mil spec forged aluminum lowers and uppers are all the same , there are about 6-7 forges out there that make forged lowers and uppers for well over 300 US companies , they just have different roll marks on the side .
    Want a good solid build ? Then figure out what you want to use the gun for , Plinking, target, or Battle rifle . Are you going to be using it hard as in a 1000 + rds a weekend every month ? or just every once in a while 500-1000 rds per year.
    DO you need a precision trigger for shooting off a bench or will a mil spec trigger do what you need?
    What ammo are you going to shoot, what ever is available on the shelf or precision reloads that you reload your self ?
    Do you need a chrome BCG or will a quality brand BCG work for you ?
    What length of barrel do you need or want,
    Do you need or want a free float barrel ? If so how long of hand guard to you want ?
    What gas system ? There are 4, pistol, carbine, mid, and Rifle length, pick one its not that big of a deal .
    Buffers . If any doubts get a standard buffer and spring unless you are using a fixed stock then use a rifle length buffer and spring

Are you buying this gun to use or like to have it nice and new looking all the time " Safe Queen" ?
    All these questions you should answer your self before ever coming on board with tons of questions . Its not that people wont help you , its that you can answer most of them yourself if you just answer the above questions.

Last edited: May 8, 2013

3. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

This topic is like a super zombie corpse with no legs and a bullet-proof helmet. Slinking, shuffling around riddled with holes. Being kept alive on scraps of debates that it finds across the cursed general rifle threads. It's become pointless to try and kill it so we just move camp. But after awhile, It finds us again. Hissing and clawing, begging to be put down. A brave few will attempt the feat, giving the rest a chance to move on so they wont be bothered by the rancid stench and unyielding determination of this unholiest of creatures. We know peace will never come. Lack of serenity is part of our existence now. Survival is the only thing that matters.

I'm moving on havoc, thanks for the cover fire.

4. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Bad - AR that doesn't work

Good - AR that works

Great - AR that works the way you want it

5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Amen to both of you two. There is so much stuff out there , yes some of it is better and most of this lies in the main components , barrels, BCG, and trigger groups beyond that the rest of the sh!t is all cosmetic stuff . I dont care if it has a S&W , BCM , PSA, Colt, or any one of the other 300+ names and roll marks on the side . If you have a quality barrel and BCG that is the heart of the gun . Other wise its the same ol girl with a new dress on .

6. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

Bad
    [​IMG]

Good
    [​IMG]

Great
    [​IMG]

LOL

7. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Actually, mmm. I have the cad file. A CNC machine and maybe some ironwood?

MMMmmm.

8. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I would say that its a good one if it works and you own it, its a great one if it works and I own it. :)

9. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

How about some balsa wood for the ultra light version, LOL

10. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Don't be ridiculous! Ill use balsa for the airsoft version.

11. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

You'd have to start a "what color should I stain my lower" thread if you do this though. :)

12. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

LMFAO! oh my god...I think I might start that one tomorrow. Its no where near April first....they'll never see it coming.

13. GSmith1883

GSmith1883 New Member

After reading and looking around a few months I bought a LWRC M6A2. It was a bit pricey but well worth it. I think the short stroke gas piston design is extremely reliable. The striker key is integrated into the carrier which is a good peice of mind. The top of the forearm can be removed easily to access the piston assembly without removing the entire forearm. Plus it came with Magpul mags, MIAD Grip, flip up BUIS, and a Vltor stock. I put some other goodies on it and is a bad mother f****r. i have beat the crap out of it, put over 5,000 rounds through it and its still ticking. At one point it had over 2,000 rounds through it without cleaning and still never failed. It's a great rifle.

14. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

We put some where between 6000-8000 rounds thru a $599 factory built PSA 16" carbine. We quit documenting after 6200 and something rounds because we had no failures except a bad mag which caused one ft feed , never cleaned except for the initial cleaning and lubrication when purchased . Just lubed every time we took it out . Still ticking like a clock. I cleaned it over the winter and replaced gas rings but thats it .We ran every kind of ammo from, brass, soft points, hp's, cheap steel , and ballistic tipped varmit rds . It eats everything
    Guess I have one badd ass rifle too ;)

15. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

A couple years back I got a deal on some del-ton rifle kits. So, like any responsible citizen, I let all my AR-less friends know that I had a cheap hook up. They all had off brand lowers. mil-spec (of course), nicely anodized but nothing that would get more than a smirk on AR-15.com.

One of those rifles has had over 15,000 rounds of everything from lake city 5.56 to cheap Russian steel .223 garbage through it without a hiccup. This guys an Iraq vet an he don't give two flying rat turds about roll marks. He's abused the crap out of that poor rifle. He even does this rapid fire, double/triple tap thing that swear is bump firing and he swears it isn't. whatever.

The point is, there are three things that affect any firearms quality:

1) Engineering. In this case the AR-15 has it in spades and thats why a $750 rifle can hold its own against a $2000 one.

2) Materials. Where the AR is concerned, this only really comes into play when dealing with the "low end" MFGs but its pretty easy to suss out the crap form the cream via google.

3) Quality Control. The first two can rule but if you aint got the third, then you're Taurus. In AR's Ive heard more horror stories about Model 1 than anything else.

beyond that, its an AR. Pretty good chance than no matter what the roll mark says, its gonna go bang every time. Unless you built it yourself and you put it together wrong. Accuracy? All in the barrel and most manufacturers use the same ones anyway.

16. GSmith1883

GSmith1883 New Member

Wow! That is a bad ass rifle.

17. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Buy what you can afford right now.

Sight it in.

Shoot the sh!t out of it. Have fun!

Fix whatever breaks or you don't like.

Buy whatever accessories you like. Don't pi$$ off spouse.

NEVER ask anyone on any forum what they think of your rifle or accessories.

If you follow the above rules, you will have a stress-free, fun-filled, brass-strewn lifetime with your AR! Oh, and never let spouse see you having this much fun...unless you plan on buying THEM a rifle!

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  18. tCan

tCan Active Member

Interstate Arms makes an 870 knock off. I doubt anyone would criticize the platform. You're not going to throw it in the garbage. Obviously when you go cheap you run the risk of needing or wanting to replace something. The beauty of the AR platform is that most problems aren't actually problems. You want a new bolt or barrel? Great. Sell the old ones. Broke the receiver? Great. $75 gets you a knew one. You can do all this work yourself without any extra special kit for the most part.

If you have a problem with your IAC Hawk, then you'll probably be consulting a gunsmith.

The only problem with the AR is that you have so many easy options.

19. Gunsnob

Gunsnob New Member

I own THE BEST AR15, a Larue OBR. Anyone that argues otherwise is an idiot and know NOTHING about ARs.