Bad customer service

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by deathkricket, Mar 5, 2011.

1. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

For you who have the problem of looking far less then your age this is for you, i am sick of walking into gun smiths shops and gun stores to be treated
    like im 15 and have never seen a gun before, after so many years in the army i can take a lot of crap but being down right rude gets under my skin. I guess you have it coming when you open the door to a gun smith shop and the newest fire arm in their was made in 1957 and there are 6 guys siting in a circle missing various body parts wearing Nam vest. O ya and if you have a M1A, dont lay it on the counter and tell someone not to drool on it, you can look but you cant touch, they are not that cool and to be honest, when you lug one around for a few days with no sling, they can become very annoying. i guess my point being for you who are in the retail of fire arms, theres no need to be a ***** to someone with a simple question because they look young.

2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

3. TNEFF

TNEFF New Member

Seams that is a common thing no matter how old you look Deathkricket, or what line of work the used car salesman behind the counter thinks you may be in. One thing we teach our peeps who work the counters, greet the customer then shut up and listen. The majority of the time, the customer knows more than you do. If they think your a moron, there is no need to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

4. willshoum

willshoum New Member

????????????????????????????????????????????????

When I was young and working in the fields { garden } with my late father he said these words to me. Boy you gonna eat a lot of sh$t in your life time so you just as soon get use to it right now. Never touch any thing in a Gun Smith shop unless you ask first. Your Grimey Dirty Salty Hands may have ruined a weeks worth of polishing for a Blueing Job. I know because I did the same thing and got my a$$ reamed.:eek::)

5. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Dont worry i didnt touch it or for that matter even have a intrest in touching it, there not magical to me. No it was the point he got it out his gun case and brought it over to the counter for me to look at but not touch to show me a "real gun", and no i didnt ask to see it, Like i said im use to taking crap, it happens but there use to be this little saying uhh what was it, the custom is always right, theres no point in arguing with a custom because you dont like what they wana do, just stfu and make some money, not hard, thats just my 2 cents, idk maybe im weird like that.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Don't sweat it too bad Deathcricket, I've experienced the same problem you have had with respect or lack of based on looking young for my age until recently. I've had clerks tell me "No you don't want that part, what you want is..." I've always done my homework before going to make a purchase, so If I didn't ask for your advice, you can keep it. I've found in that situation a "so you don't want to sell me the..." or even better just look them in the eye for a moment and then turn and walk out...you usually will get stopped (with a much better attitude) before your money gets to the door.

For the most part just shrug it off, but keep score and take your business elsewhere whenever possible.
    When you MUST buy something from that shop I'd be sure to mention all the high dollar stuff you bought elsewhere, especially if the owner is around.;)

Thanks for your service BTW and if you have any simple questions, feel free to ask 'em here, we won't give you too much attitude:p

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Don't sweat the small stuff. There's jerks behind every display counter in the world. ;)

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

DK,

Rack it to experience and develop a method of dealing with it. I'll trade you faces and you can look older than you are or even as old as I. Cherish the youthful look as you will be underestimated lookin like a yute. You have the advantage from the get go. :)

9. jca1

jca1 New Member

I sometimes wonder if gunshop counter employees are regularly bombarded with idiots and have just been programmed to expect everyone to be one.

I know of one gun shop that I actually like and it's a pawn shop.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Not to defend the fairer sex but have you ever heard a counter goon's sales pitch to a woman?

Methinks thou dost protest too loudly. :D

11. Walley

Walley New Member

What really gets to me is to go into a gun store and have some kid who only got over his diaper rash a week or so before tell me that what I asked for is not what I want. Before Christmas I stopped at one store and asked the clerk if they had a H & R 410 Topper in stock because I wanted one for my great grandson for his 10th birthday. This snot nosed retard tried to tell me that what I really wanted was a 20 gauge pump. I asked to talk with the manager and was told that he was too busy to talk with me. He was sitting on his brain drinking coffee next to the cash register. I used a few superlatives on both of them and walked out. I called the owner of the shop to complain and the dumb s-o-b hung up on me. Needless to say I have bad mouthed that shop and its owner to everyone who would listen.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, it DO go both ways across the counter.

I stop by a local small engine shop- need a gasket for the carb on the Briggs and Sumbitch engine on my leaf vac. Problem is, model number is on a tag you cannot GET to because of where engine is mounted. So, I walked into shop. Counter clerk. Girl- about 19. Multiple ear piecings with strange stuff. Oh, yeah, this will be good- blind leading the blind, in their natural habitat.

"Can I help you?"

" Maybe. I don't have a model number or part number- but I have a 5 hp Briggs & Stratton, horizontal drive shaft- and need a gasket for the carberator float bowl."

"Sure. For the top of the bowl, or for the retaining bolt?"

"Ummm (stunned) the one for the top."

"Be right back." Returns in about 1 minute, with THE gasket . "That'll be $2.50. Lot of money for a rubber band, huh?"

I don't give a crap if that young lady knows NOTHING else about any engine- she impressed the hell out of me. Humbly paid her the $2.50, thanked her, and left. When I got home, installed the gasket (PERFECT fit). Then called the shop owner, thanked him, and complimented the young lady that was so knowledgable.

He laughed- and said "She should know her stuff- she has been working on engines here for 5 years.

She's my daughter."

13. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

There are still some good shops out there, mostly down south but around here there is mainly 2 shops i go to because i know the guys and i buy 99% of my fire arms there, i guess you for guys that have been around a while it would be the same as you walking into a gun store to have a 20yr old tell you that you have no idea what your talking about and what you want is not what they want. I remember growing up small shops were nice to their customers because the value money, i guess now days they tend to care a lot less about customer loyalty because they have so many customers :rolleyes: its all good though, ill glady spend my cash somewhere elese.

14. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I almost always get the impression that the guys at most gun shops think I'm wasting their time. I've always chalked it up to the fact that I'm not a regular that hangs out and BS's with them all the time.

Yesterday I walked into my local gun shop. I went straight to the counter where the hand guns are. I found the LCPs, drooled thru the glass for a while, leaned on the counter and glanced at the shop keep a few times (who was in his office).

Finally another guy walked up behind me and the shop keep came running out. To help me? No, to let me stand there and wait while he BSed with this other guy that just walked in, someone he obviously knew. After another couple minutes he finaly asked if he could help me. I said I'd like to see one of those LCPs.

He said he was busy calling in a gun but he would send some over, which he did. Nice that he had time to BS with his buddy as soon as the guy walked in, but didn't have time to even acknowledge me who had been waiting for 5 min. already.

I spent $1500 on a Sako rifle and Carl Ziess scope a few years ago. The wife got jealous so we went back the next day and I spent $1200 on her rifle and scope. (Hey, I could qualify for the "bulk purchase" list they're pushing for.) Anyway, I went back a week later and the guy acted like he had never met me before.

That and their prices is why I shop out of town for guns and accessories.

15. TNEFF

TNEFF New Member

We depend on loyal customers, and making each new one that walks in to want to come back. There are several options in our area, so pissing a customer off is not in our best interest. Being small can be good or bad, it's all about attitude and effort. I wish some of you guys were closer, lol. You would think with all the BS going on with the gov, and the number of FFL's getting hammered that they would be paying attention to their customers. I know we have to, or we would not be in business.

16. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The gun shop where I used to work has gone severely downhill. After Maobama's election, customers were three and four deep. It stopped being enjoyable and became all about the money. While I understand business and that money is its lifeblood, there wasn't time to take a breath.

It has further deteriorated because it has become all about black rifles and tacticool stuff. The owner has put the youngsters in charge and has been forcing the old timers out. If you want to talk AR's, that's all well and good, but there's so much more. The youngsters exhibit a superior attitude that isn't good for business.

I learned a lot working there and sometimes I miss it, but not much.

17. jca1

jca1 New Member

I found the best thing ever for me, a local home based FFL.

I go to the rude shops and look at their guns while they act like I'm a idiot. Then I call my buddy and place an order. His prices are in line with online shops and the service is excellent.

I will buy from one shop if they have anything I really like, a pawn shop about 45 minutes from me.

18. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Sorry. I no longer have that problem. I walked into my lgs a couple of weeks ago and the manager said "hello", then turned to his customer and said - "I love to see him come in, he's the only man around with less hair than me."