Bad attitude at local gun shops?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by tallguy130, Nov 11, 2009.

1. tallguy130

tallguy130 New Member

Has anyone else noticed a general bad attitude from employees at your local gun stores? I don't know if this is just a Columbus Ohio thing but you would think I walked in with a 'save the whales' t-shirt on and Obama stickers all over my car. Its not just one shop too, three of them I've been to in town all share the same unhelpful and abrasive attitude. :confused:

Anyone else seeing this? Two buddys of mine have said the same thing. Call me crazy but if I'm plunking down $500 on a gun I want at least the customer service I would get at Starbucks...

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Vote with your money!

If they are not providing any more service than a place like Bud's Gun Shop, why pay the extra bucks?

They're pissed because of shoppers like me. I use them to fondle the firearm I'm interested in purchasing then go online to find the best deal.

**** 'em if they can't take a submarine joke. [​IMG]

3. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

Have you considered the possibility that you and your friends are all dicks?

Or... They just suck.

Most of the local gun shops here I've been to usually have decent customer service. Except for one place called Welcher's Gun Store. I waited about 45 minutes to pick up my 30-06.

Haven't set foot in that store again.

4. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

The guys at my local are over worked with all the demand. Also frustrated answering the same questions over and over.

"No we don't have any 22 lr in stock". "No we don't know when we will get any". "No we don't do pre orders".

So I wouldn't say a bad attitude, but definitely short on humor

5. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

All of my recent gun purchases have been pleasant and good experiences. I bought two handguns at Bass Pro three weeks ago, and the salesguy spent over 30 minutes with my wife working with her to find the "best fit" for her.

6. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

There are a few shops around here I wont set foot into anymore. Their prices are over inflated (I'm sorry I'm not about to set down $650 for a GP100) and the employees are for the most part dicks who take it as a personal offense that you might not know as much as they do.

On a positive note, for anyone in Ventura County, Ft. Courage Armory in Simi Valley provided one of the best purchasing experiences for me. They are really small, but if they don't have it, they will do their best to get it for you. That and they don't mind the stupid questions that noobs like myself ask.

7. tallguy130

tallguy130 New Member

Oh they won't be getting any of my money. Hey I'm over worked too but I still find a way to be cordial. :rolleyes:

With all the people buying guns for the first time you would think they would look at this as an opportunity to build a customer base. :confused:

8. OC357

OC357 New Member

I have one local shop that acts like I am bothering them or something. I have bought several guns there and also ammo in the past so it's not like they don't know me. I stopped going there and go to a different place (even though it is much further away) where they have a much better attitude and now they get all of my gun buying and trading business except for ammo purchases at wallyworld which is much closer to me.

OC

9. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

2 out of the 4 gun shops in my area are employed with guys who are just butthole fabulous. Guess which ones I shop at, even if they're a littlle more.

10. red ryder

red ryder New Member

i definatly feel the same. at our local store if you are not part of their "in crowd" the pretty much ignore you.

i went in to shop around for a handgun, and pick up some ammo. stood around for 20min while the owner talked with his buddies. finally one of his friends helped me out and was actually really helpful with looking at handguns.

havn't gone back since, its pretty pitiful when the employee's of the store ignore you, and you are helped out by other customers instead.

i pick up all my ammo at wally world now, and drive about an hour away to a large gunstore with wide selection if i'm seriously shopping for something new.

11. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

The two shops I use all the time are great. I recently bought a Rem. 700 .308 and I took my VX-III scope w/ me to have it mounted.
    The shop provided me with reading material, coffee, tea, soda, water, and dvd's of hunts and guns. I got to sit there and watch the gunsmith put the bases on, rings, and boresight the scope. It was great.
    Two weeks later I got a thank you card and a Ka-bar folding knife for doing business with him.
    Another shop I use throws in extras anytime you buy guns from him. I bought a Ruger P-95 from him and he tossed in a molded plastic holster and some hi-viz sights for free.
    It has been my experience that if you look long enough or hard enough, you will find the dealer that is right for you. My dillema is who do I take my business to next.

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Not sure where you are shopping, but I generally find most places in Columbus to be unfriendly. Try heading south a bit to Lancaster and stop in Ohio Valley Trading Co. :D

13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I spend quite a bit of time at my friends gunshop and I can see why there are a few attitudes from the owners/workers of the gunshops.

First,are the complete dumbasses that come in and ask about the biggest and baddest hand cannons and "assault weapons" that they know nothing about,or have the I.Q. to even think about owning.
    These people should be considered Armed and Dangerous with a sharp pencil in their hands!!!

Then,there are the people that come in after looking on the gun auction sites and want him to meet/beat the best price they have found. Then they get pissed off when he can't come close because the price is lower than the gun cost him from the distributor's that he uses.

Don't leave out the jackasses that come in after driving around town to every WallyWorld trying to find cheap ammo,and then come to the gunshop and ***** about his prices being higher,but he actually has the ammo in stock.

Gunshops can't beat most of the big chain stores prices,they can't buy the quantity of goods to get the big price breaks,and nobody should expect them to.
    What they can offer is a chance for you to become friends with a business owner that has the same enjoyment and passion for firearms as yourself.
    I don't mind paying a little more for a few items that I could get cheaper down the street. I'm helping out a local business at a time when they need it the most,and in the long run it will benefit myself,because these guy's do remember who stands by them in the hard times.

So the next time you go into a local gunshop,give them the benefit of the doubt,there could have been 4-5 jerks in there right before you showed up.

14. James

James New Member

Well in my experience, Yankees around here are jerks in general. Maybe the problem is all y'all are shopping in Ohio. :D

If a store owner or employee was a jerk to me, I'd just leave and go somewhere else. And on my way out I'd let them know why.

15. freefall

freefall New Member

The biggest attitude I see in our local gun shop is the "I know more than you" syndrome, especially if they're speaking to a woman. Nobody enjoys being treated like an ignoramus, especially when they know what they're talking about and the "professional" doesn't.

16. Jusselin

Jusselin New Member

if you you have Obama stickers i would tell you to shove your $500 plunkers too

17. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

Maybe it's just in your area that the gun shop owners are abrasive. Here in Las Vegas, the 4 shops I frequent all have knowledgeable and courteous sales people. Someone else mentioned Bass Pro Shop and I had an excellent experience there. The salesman and I just "chatted" for 30 minutes before I even asked to look at a weapon. When I asked, he was all business and very informative about the available 9mm weapons they had. I was looking for a Browning HiPower but they only had one with that stupid looking cammo plastered on it. Ended up with a Beretta PX4 Storm.

Discount Firearms, American Shooter and Master Shooters (the store I use for FFL transfers) also all have "non-dick, non-abrasive" sales personnel.

18. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Since moving there are 2 local gun shops, one of which is also a pawn shop. The pawn shop is way high on all their prices and they're just rude. I will never do business with them.
    The other is owned by a couple of good ol boys. They're older, at least 50 and have been in business for over 25 years. They have EVERYTHING, guns, reloading, hunting gear, fishing supplies, bows, knives and if they don't have it, they'll order it. Firearm transfer is $25, not as good as my last shop, they did it for free but I had a longer relationship with them. I bought my bow from them and I picked the one guys brain on several ocassions. They get almost all my business, what they don't get is done online.

Most of the gun shops I go in are great, but there aren't many around my new place.

19. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Kinda makes me glad that only those who've been thru police checks/firearms courses are going to walk into the (few) gun shops that exist around here. Plus, with only 5% of the population being licensed, gun shop owners & workers tend to be pretty helpful - there's not a huge pool to draw your customer base from.

Gotta admit its a bit hard to get my head around chain stores dealing in firearms...that is just too weird for an aussie :p

20. Jess

Jess New Member

The ones by me suck, but its because I'm a girl. There is one 30ish year old guy that will speak to me with respect and interest. The other guys there who are older are dicks, unless I go in with my hubby or my daddy but at 28 years old I shouldn't need that I have been shooting since I was teeny tiny its not like i'm some pissed off housewife on a bender.