Firearms Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister set me a copy from her Facebook account. I don't do Facebook.
It shows serious neck and shoulder cracks/splits. This is new ammo from Vista Outdoors/Remington.
Looks to e .30-06 perhaps Can't read the label the round is posed on.
Reports that 13 out of 60 rounds/ 3 boxes all have the same crack.
You can't shortcut and not anneal newly formed cases!
Second: how did Vista Outdoors/Remington Inspectors let these cartridges get by.
Suspect all the rest will split when fired especially iff the chamber is little on the lose side.
I did try to get it linked here but no go.

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
I’ve had that happen with 30/06 Hornady . Half of the necks split upon firing the ones that didn’t split were reloaded several times without issue. Other brands I’ve had occasional problems with but never more than a few. Since I started reloading I’ve noticed some cases are much stiffer to resize than others. Probably different case alloy or heat treat I suppose.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If Remington can't get it together quick, they're looking at another bankruptcy through lawsuits, a bad name, and "bad ammo". It doesn't take the gun world long to ruin an earned bad reputation. What happened to the OP is inexuseable. Ammo moves so fast through a line that a person can't visually catch things like that. They don't have process control. That simple.

·
Supporting Member
12,467 Posts
Tin'
Was that after it was fired? Or right out of the Box?
If it is new ammunition as advised they should contact VISTA Customer/ Technical Service at their Corporate Facility there in or their HQ Plant in Idaho. I would think they would make it right!

Reactions: Southernguns

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tin'
If it is new ammunition as advised they should contact VISTA Customer/ Technical Service at their Corporate Facility there in or their HQ Plant in Idaho. I would think they would make it right!

That was right out of the box.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tin'

I don't know who the person was that posted it on Facebook, but I would assume they did contact Remington. Thee one round in the photo the split was almost wide enough for some grains of powder to drop out,...maybe.

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
If it came that way right out of the box I would take it back wherever I bought it and told him to return my money I thought that it was fired and then split . Although I really don’t listen to much I see you on Facebook

·
Premium Member
13,155 Posts
Assuming that we have the story correct, and that Remington did, indeed, ship the ammo as described...

They may be making ammo so quickly to fill demand that they have taken the "governors" off the equipment and skimped on safety protocols. There is a lot of money to be harvested out there today, greed leads to error.

·
Premium Member
4,475 Posts
Assuming that we have the story correct, and that Remington did, indeed, ship the ammo as described...

They may be making ammo so quickly to fill demand that they have taken the "governors" off the equipment and skimped on safety protocols. There is a lot of money to be harvested out there today, greed leads to error.
This is not new to the industry now or in the past. I have been shooting new ammo and reloading for 60 years now.
The worst over the years has been the cheap Winchester. What is termed "White Box" today. Same as described here.
Have seen the same with Federal also. Plus loose primers, bullets seated that squeezed the casing downwards, etc, etc.

Fact is, they all have a few problems get through. Everyone needs to check their rounds before you load up.
So, don't go making wild guesses or insinuations to just stir or scare people.

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
True as it gets I trust my own reloads more than I trust factory rounds cause I check every step more than they do. Most factory ammo I have used over my 40 years of shooting have been fine and I have never encountered split cases out of the box . I’ve never been a fan of cheap ammo but even that should never have a defect directly out of the box before firing. Again I have seen social media posts that were all BS.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
True as it gets I trust my own reloads more than I trust factory rounds cause I check every step more than they do. Most factory ammo I have used over my 40 years of shooting have been fine and I have never encountered split cases out of the box . I’ve never been a fan of cheap ammo but even that should never have a defect directly out of the box before firing. Again I have seen social media posts that were all BS.
I don't think I have ever encountered a bad factory load, having said that, since 76 or so I have reloaded all my ammo, except for Weateherby that I found as not cheap but same price as empty brass.
I still have some .38special nickel cases,that I recovered from area the Police practiced at, in early sixties. Didn't load then but kept them.Many slit on firing or even sizing, from age thin cases that nnickel plating help make brittle. I have a box or two I reloaded. "Once Fired" 5.56 cases I have encountered many that split or even seperated around the body., such that I made a bent piece of coat hanger with sharp pint to feel linside the case for a line where they case will probably seperate if loaded and fired again,split necks upon sizing and so on. The only problem I really ahve is the Weateherby cases. The fctory loads are even hot, and mine somewhat hotter. The third loading the case necks and shoulders get annealed first, Some times on the first reload.,You can kinda feel the too hardened neck. And I lsoe a few cases after annealing as they are too soft and the bullet just mushes down the neck and shoulder into the case. I'm sure there are sophisticated neck annealers but Ii'm too old and broken to invest in one..

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have reloaded thousands of rounds and never one bad one. Remington made a mistake. I'm sure they know it and hopefully, they have taken corrective action. They publicly stated they are running wide open to help alleviate the ammo shortage. Mass manufacturing of ammo is a process, like any others in manufacturing that must be controlled tightly. I trust Remington has taken corrective action and I would buy some today if I needed it. I would also check every round I loaded into a magazine, no different than any other brand I shoot. There you have it. Over and out.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I'd like to see pictures of these faulty rounds. I'd like to see the cases that split through the neck and shoulder. Just sitting there in the box rounds split wide open.

I do know beyond a doubt that the most reliable source of information in America is Facebook. Right? . I have used Remington brass too long to get too torn up here until there is further information not from Facebook. It's always possible the lizard men and cannibal pedophiles had a hand in the bad ammo. 🤪

Reactions: alsaqr

·
Premium Member
10,198 Posts
Yep, i see all kinds of complaints about faulty .22 ammunition that fails to fire. Despite firing about 500 rounds of .22 LR per month i've never had one failure to fire with a well maintained rifle. Couple friends had misfire trouble with their Ruger 10/.22 rifles that had never been cleaned. i love that rifle but the Ruger 10/.22 get the cruddiest of any semi auto .22 manufactured today.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I'd like to see those pictures. What's the chance of OP guiding in the direction. I need some help finding that piece. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd like to see those pictures. What's the chance of OP guiding in the direction. I need some help finding that piece. Thanks for the help.
I don't do Facebook. My sister,both her and Brother In Law are into Firearms Collecting sent it to me by email. For some time I've ahda problem send links or even seeing some. I may stll haveher email in the file and will work with it andsee if I can see and send a link.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
T
I don't do Facebook. My sister,both her and Brother In Law are into Firearms Collecting sent it to me by email. For some time I've ahda problem send links or even seeing some. I may stll haveher email in the file and will work with it andsee if I can see and send a link.
Thanks, I don't do Facebook either. I didn't want some of that stuff coming into the house.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yep, i see all kinds of complaints about faulty .22 ammunition that fails to fire. Despite firing about 500 rounds of .22 LR per month i've never had one failure to fire with a well maintained rifle. Couple friends had misfire trouble with their Ruger 10/.22 rifles that had never been cleaned. i love that rifle but the Ruger 10/.22 get the cruddiest of any semi auto .22 manufactured today.
I concur

Have shot 1000's of Golden bullet, Thunderbolt, cheapest I can find .22, for almost 60 years and never had problems.

50 years ago, an occasional ftf with CCI. Rotate and drop hammer again, usually went bang.

THEN, after the Odumbo .22 shortage, I picked up a couple of Federal Auto Match 325 bulk packs. Took them out to shoot in SA revolver.
6 cylinders had 5 shots that were VERY QUIET.
6 more cylinders and 4 more QUIET, with 1 so light, i saw bullet leave the barrel and hit the ground about 20' in front of me.
The next and LAST cylinder, had 1 barely pop. Found bullet lodged in barrel, a 4 1/2" barrel.
2 more shots and ANOTHER pop, with bullet stuck in barrel. End of shooting.

Notified Federal. They sent me a prepaid carton to ship back the ammo.

3 weeks later, a letter of apology and a coupon for 2 bulk packs.

No problems since.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts