Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
And some chickens........

Make your coup with back doors, this will access your egg recovery, and don't put ply wood where your hens roost, let the droppings fall to the ground and with a back door you'll have access to the manure a lot easier...I need to learn more about carpenter work and Drafting.....Or just have the one door to pick your eggs and the under side of the nesting and roost area exposed.......

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Pretty neat. I have a female friend that has a few ckickens. She needs a coup. And asked if I would build one for her.

·
Administrator
34,286 Posts
Make your coup with back doors, this will access your egg recovery, and don't put ply wood where your hens roost, let the droppings fall to the ground and with a back door you'll have access to the manure a lot easier...I need to learn more about carpenter work and Drafting.....Or just have the one door to pick your eggs and the under side of the nesting and roost area exposed.......
How would you keep raccoons out of the coop if the bottom is open?

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out my build thread, all of what you listed has been done.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Bandits.....

How would you keep raccoons out of the coop if the bottom is open?
Chicken wire, but some coons and minks are persistant and will figure out how to get in one way or the other. And don't for get about the egg eaters [ snakes] :)

·
Administrator
34,286 Posts
Chicken wire, but some coons and minks are persistant and will figure out how to get in one way or the other. And don't for get about the egg eaters [ snakes] :)
I think a raccoon can tear apart chicken wire with very little problem. They are very strong.

I don't raise chickens but I buy eggs from others who do.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
I think a raccoon can tear apart chicken wire with very little problem.
The green wire with the 2"X3" spacing available at Home Depot and Lowes works well. It's much stronger than chicken wire.

notdku: It's a great project. I've been keeping six or so for about four years. They keep us in eggs plus some for the neighbors. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
If you raise chickens please stop by and post about your coop/flock. If you know someone that raises chickens please pass on the word.

http://www.chickenforum.com/
I am a member of BYC and find it interesting and useful.

I posted my home-made incubator there.

I currently have 9 little ducks from our own ducks.

Ducks, Chickens, Geese, Turkeys fill the yard.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
KG7IL said:

I will pass the info along. My friend has chickens (even though he's not supposed to).

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Would be honored if you posted it on ChickenForum.

Got a little more work done tonight with the wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts