Backyard archery

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by NGIB, Jul 13, 2010.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Left work a bit early yesterday to run some errands and ended up at a buddies place to try out his bow. He has a nice 20 yard shooting area setup in his backyard and it's amazing that his bow fits me like a glove (we're about the same size). I fired about 30 arrows yesterday and by the 5th shot I was hitting paper plates regularly at the 20 yards. This is about the most fun I've had in a long while. His bow is a PSE single cam, 35-50#, 30" draw, with peep & fiber optic sight. I believe he had the draw weight set at about 40# which was very easy to handle. I liked it so much I bought (actually traded) it from him on the spot. He paid around $450 for the setup 6 months or so ago and I swapped him a gun I had about $300 in. Yeah, I gave to much but I was really happy shooting this thing and he threw in a hard case and a dozen aluminum target arrows. I had bought a cheap used bow on eBay but I like this one much better. I'll take all the new accessories off of the eBay bow (sights, rest, quiver, stabilizer, dozen arrows) and use them with the Hoyt I got for the wife yesterday off an archery forum.

No doubt in my mind that this is going to become an addicting new hobby. I can't shoot a pistol in my backyard but a bow is no problem. (He found this pic of the bow when he got it from an archery wholesaler in the upper part of the state)...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm in the same boat. I can't shoot pistol in my back yard but a bow is no problem! I have no doubts you'll soon be addicted to your bow just like your handguns.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Here's a pic of the bow I got for my wife yesterday off an archery forum (should be here Friday). It's a Hoyt Rintec with 20-30# limbs mounted and a new set of 30-40# limbs included. The draw length is adjustable from 18-26" and I expect the wife will need it set around 23-24". I'm going to take all the new accessories off the eBay bow and put them on this one. Hopefully, the wife and I can spend a few hours this weekend playing Robin Hood...

Attached Files:

4. cmhill

cmhill New Member

Hey NGIB good to see someone from my area on here, you should stop in at southern outdoors if you are ever in down in tifton, we are right on 82 east about a 2 blocks from main street.

5. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Good Show! Now ya got the bug. I love to shoot my bow, it is truely very rewarding. Glad to hear your liking it!

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I have to say that it's very cool to be able to go out in the backyard, setup a target, and loose some arrows. I will always love shooting pistols but this provides me with another fun diversion. It also seems like a good skill to learn as having options when the zombies arrive is a good thing...

7. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Don't forget you can also shoot flaming arrows!!!

8. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Looks like you're all set up. I'd suggest getting carbon arrows though Dave. They'll last a LOT longer.

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I got a half-dozen carbon arrows with the bow I got for myself. Being able to go out back and sling arrows is seriously fun. I need to get about a dozen more arrows though. Boy, I wish I could have a pistol range in my backyard...

10. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Looks like you have 2 good bows there NGIB!

Are you guys gearing up for hunting? or just targets?

11. orangello

orangello New Member

This idea cost me some eyebrows when i was a kid, be careful.

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Strictly punching paper and shooting at "stuff". I'm not and have never been a hunter and I have no desire to be one. I always found punching holes in paper with a pistol relaxing and it's the same with a bow - except I don't have to pack up and go to a range. I'll probably build a backstop and make a nifty little range in one corner of the yard...

13. amoroque

amoroque New Member

That sounds great! Just wanted to ask because it looks like you are all set up for hunting too.

14. fxstchewy

fxstchewy New Member

Shooting bows is fun, leaving to go shoot right now, i have a PSE Nova set at 60# and a Bowtech General set at 60#. :)

15. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Was very busy this weekend working on the house we're selling to my son but wifey & I found an hour for her to try out the Hoyt Rintec. She has never even held a bow before and after about a dozen shots she was consistently hitting a paper plate at 8-10 yards. She really enjoyed the shoot and I expect we may have found a new hobby. I forgot to pack my new bow so I just helped her out.

Felt kind of silly being a "coach" as I have very little experience myself - but I have read a ton on the subject. I setup the bow at 25# weight and a 23" draw and it fit her perfectly...

16. orangello

orangello New Member

NGIB, maybe you could draw a giant dart board & play cricket & 301 & such games for some fun competitiveness; those English peeps probably did at some point.

17. rbrion

rbrion New Member

Would you be interested in selling the light limbs?

I was wondering if your wife ended up using the 30-40# limbs? If so would you be interested in selling the 20-30# ones?

18. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

That sounds like so much fun. Now I'm a interested in trying this, too. Just what I need. Another hobby I can't afford. :eek:

19. ViNoM

ViNoM New Member

I recently helped out at an archery shoot competition as a score judge. Before that archery didn't interest me. Now I would love to give it a try. It looked like so much fun, but I'm not sure where to even begin. Any suggestions? :confused:

20. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Since this one was brought back from the dead I'll comment that shooting a bow in the backyard is lots of fun and very relaxing. This weekend, my son & I are going to setup a little range in his backyard with a target stand and a backstop and sling some arrows. Never been a hunter and never cared to be so I've not invested the money in any of the hunter type of bow stuff, just a decent used target bow and cheap target arrows from Walmart. It can be expensive if you go all out but I haven't invested that much in all of my stuff, probably less than $400 all total. It's a nice skill to have when the zombies come as the "ammo" is reusable and shooting is silent...