Backwoods OH CRAP! Which do you want?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by ScottA, Jul 5, 2013.

1. 44 magnum revolver

27 vote(s)
    39.7%
  2. 50 S&W revolver

17 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. 45 ACP 1911

4 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. 10mm

4 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. AR 15 5.56 carbine

16 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

You're out in Montana. Let's say your geocaching, and are hiking back in the woods about 20 minutes from the car to find a cache. You come around the corner and OH CRAP... BEAR! Which of the following do you want?

Now I know a 12 gauge shotgun is the most often recommended solution, but that's not an option in this case.

2. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Preferably a slow friend or a friend and a .32 Tomcat. Just have to be the faster one ;)

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

First thought is the AR. Because it is at least a rifle.

Next choice would be a Glock 20 in 10mm. Pretty close to having an auto loading .41 mag.

4. stratrider

stratrider New Member

What, no bear spray option? Lol, I'd go with the .44 I guess.

Attached Files:

5. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

AR-15 all the way. You have 30 rds of 5.56 to work with.

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

7. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Of the choices I'd go with the 44. The 10mm is only half the power of a 41mag, however it is the same as a 357mag.

8. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have been in a similar situation with a wounded bull and had a .44 magnum. I fired all six into its head and it dropped at my feet. It worked, but I went out and bought a .454 Casull right away. Never needed to use it though (and its a monster to shoot). I'm going with the .500 S&W

9. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Depends. How many magazines or speedloaders do I have? What type of projectile in each round? I would have to say the 1911 since that is what I am most comfortable with, being that I use a 1911 as an EDC. Not the most knock down on the list, but accuracy is more important in some cases than power.

In the words of my father, " It is not how hard you hit the other guy as it is where you hit them."

Although, I might want to save that last bullet for myself. An instant kill is not always in the cards. :eek:

10. rurak

rurak New Member

I noticed .17 HMR isn't on the list ...... :(

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

.44 Mag works for me.

12. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

So the 44 and the AR15 are the top two choices. Here's the question that has been coming to my mind as I look at the firearms I have, and what I may purchase (in consideration of heading out west again).

A 44 magnum produces about 900 ft/lbs of muzzle energy.

A 500 S&W produces about 2400 ft/lbs of muzzle energy.

An AR15 5.56 produces about 1300 ft/lbs of muzzle energy.

The odds of putting multiple shots on target are far greater with the carbine than any of the pistols. Penetration would likely be better as well. So if I'm not backpacking and trying to minimize weight to the 10th of the ounce, why wouldn't I just pull the AR out of the bag in the trunk and take that with me?

13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

AR-15. More rounds, more accurate shots and an acceptable rifle cartridge.

14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I don't know from firsthand knowledge but everything I have read says the .223/5.56 would not bring down a Grizz even if you throw 30 rounds into it. Might be different with some expanding ammo though.

15. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Are these reports from people who have actually seen this first hand, or from people who are assuming?

I have a hard time believing 30 rds of 5.56 wouldn't takedown anything short of a tank. As you said, expanding ammo may improve it's takedown ability though. That is an easy fix.

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have heard it from veterans, who are using non-expanding ammo. Yes, that would make a big difference but would it be big enough? From what I understand the military rounds pass through. A buddy of mine said that when he was in Somalia they would shoot the skinnies and not know if they hit them because they would just keep moving. Granted they were jacked up on khat, but a Grizzly is jacked up on, well, just being a big damned bear!

The S&W 500 causes a hell of a lot of hydraulic damage. I think that would give you the edge with such a large animal.

17. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Well , being the experienced out doors man I claim to be , that 10mm and the slowest friend I can think of ...! Eeeek..! :confused: :D

18. orangello

orangello New Member

I like how you think! Make the bear suffer!

I voted .44 mag, but I would really like a .44 mag and the spike bayonet from my SKS and maybe an electric chainsaw and/or electric weedeater for funsies. :D

Why not? Because some tree-humping ranger could claim you were really hunting the bear with that scary death-slinging "assault rifle", leading to your incarceration and probable violation. But seriously, in this day and age, carrying a rifle with a visible magazine would draw more fire than a nice, old-timey-looking revolver, should you have the ill-fortune to cross paths with badged or un-badged tree-humping conservationistas.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  19. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

How about a Taser?

20. orangello

orangello New Member

Nice thought, but depending on the season, the bear might be packing too much fat for it to be effective. Now in combination with a regular cattle prod and an old-school bear trap, a taser could be quite fun. Wonder if they sell a taser with a remote control...