Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on dialing in a system for carrying my bolt action rifle in the Alaska backwoods on hikes. With some of the help I've got the weapon attachments working great. I can snap the optic up and get a good picture even in the dark with the taclight I attached. However, my primary situation will be while carrying my young son in a backpack, so I hadn't included this component until a test hike the other night (we both had a great time in this 35 degree weather). (yes I'm aware of the risk to his (and my) hearing, but the risk of being mauled or trampled out weights this in my mind)

I've found that it is very fatiguing to keep the rifle sling from slipping off the shoulder strap of the backpack. I found myself wishing I had some kind of right angle hook to attach over my shoulder so gravity would keep it in place and it would also not interfere if needing to shoulder the rifle quickly if it were a curved hook. I also have to carry the rifle in a reverse african carry to keep the barrel away from my son.

Honestly, at this point I'm thinking of just getting a revolver and a CCW fanny pack, however After so much effort to get this to working I'd rather make it work. Is there some sort of pre-made solution to my problem?

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
I've been working on dialing in a system for carrying my bolt action rifle in the Alaska backwoods on hikes. With some of the help I've got the weapon attachments working great. I can snap the optic up and get a good picture even in the dark with the taclight I attached. However, my primary situation will be while carrying my young son in a backpack, so I hadn't included this component until a test hike the other night (we both had a great time in this 35 degree weather). (yes I'm aware of the risk to his (and my) hearing, but the risk of being mauled or trampled out weights this in my mind)

I've found that it is very fatiguing to keep the rifle sling from slipping off the shoulder strap of the backpack. I found myself wishing I had some kind of right angle hook to attach over my shoulder so gravity would keep it in place and it would also not interfere if needing to shoulder the rifle quickly if it were a curved hook. I also have to carry the rifle in a reverse african carry to keep the barrel away from my son.

Honestly, at this point I'm thinking of just getting a revolver and a CCW fanny pack, however After so much effort to get this to working I'd rather make it work. Is there some sort of pre-made solution to my problem?
Single point sling with QD connect.
Something like this... would have a bungee so you can carry tight but extend to shoulder.
Joint Camouflage Ballistic vest Military camouflage Machine gun

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Single point sling with QD connect.
Something like this... would have a bungee so you can carry tight but extend to shoulder.
View attachment 251245
Thanks for the input. I would use this if I were carrying my AR style, rifle, but I have a riffle with a classic two point attachment, the butt point is too high to keep the barrel out of the dirt.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
I figured as much. You could simply add another sling swivel properly located.

·
Premium Member
15,013 Posts
When I was up there hiking I carried a 12 gauge pump loaded with Brenneke slugs. No sling. Slings will slow your reaction time. When I was hunting I carried the rifle. Now I would look for a way to sling the rifle the way Clifffalling pictured. Bears are fast. Recently a kid took down a charging bear with a 20 gauge.

Reactions: ACiD GRiM

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm carrying a camera chest bag I want to be able to pull the camera out of. I've been doing drills to pull the rifle up from the singed position

I'm sitting on the sling idea posted here, I'm just not a huge fan of it dangling. I assume there's a solution if the deployed in Afghanistan have to walk further and deal with much more dangerous critters.
Just imagine bears armed with vintage USSR gear!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I've decided to go with this sling and QD to swivel mounts. I'll probably end up having to install them on the left side of the rifle because I'm estimating that the rifle will tend to flip upside down when slung across my chest, so the left side mount will keep the optic and grip up.

I use the unpadded version of this sling on my AR and I find it's easy to move it from tight across my chest to in position, so I'm hoping this LARPing hold true in a more practical situation. Will see.

I still am upset my traditional style leather sling isn't an option, I should have just built a tricked out AR-10 "pistol" at this point :( I am also still upset I have a taclight on a bolt action. I just wanted a simple no-frills, yet I now have this monstrous "tactical" wood stock rifle.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
There was a rucksack used by the 10th mountain division in WWII that would hold a rifle - Sorry I couldn't find a better pic, maybe I can take a photo of mine with a rifle in it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There was a rucksack used by the 10th mountain division in WWII that would hold a rifle - Sorry I couldn't find a better pic, maybe I can take a photo of mine with a rifle in it.

Thanks, but my back is occupied by a baby carrier. I'm trying to solve for the sling over the shoulder, rifle in front of me barrel down.

I'm hoping this sling hook can be positioned and maybe trimmed down to balance retention and access

·
Premium Member
15,013 Posts
You got me thinking about Alaska hiking again not that I will be going. Times have changed and there are different guns available. Why not a heavy caliber AR pistol? .450, .500, 12.7x42? Easier to carry than a rifle, fast and a lot of firepower. My wife and I cheek weld an AR pistol with no brace. I put it together for her and it works. 5.5 lbs with a shake awake red dot. Only center fire she can handle. Brace would add about 8 oz. Add for ammo but you would not need 30 rounds.
There is a guy that cheek welds a semi auto 12 gauge short barrel "other". Uses a grip strap to take the recoil. I am not brave enough to try it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To be honest, I just like feeling of carrying a wooden bolt action scout rifle, I moved up here for a certain flavor of life.

I may end up just going for an AR pistol if I run into another show stopper, but my rig is only 7 or 8 lbs as is. I'm not married to it, but I'll have to sell it before I can get another rifle.

I did just bid on a a. 357 ruger LCR so I won't be "bear handed" at any point, even if it's not the most effective round.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
To be honest, I just like feeling of carrying a wooden bolt action scout rifle, I moved up here for a certain flavor of life.

I may end up just going for an AR pistol if I run into another show stopper, but my rig is only 7 or 8 lbs as is. I'm not married to it, but I'll have to sell it before I can get another rifle.

I did just bid on a a. 357 ruger LCR so I won't be "bear handed" at any point, even if it's not the most effective round.
I wonder if you use that hook, if you may be able to shoulder the rifle without even taking the rifle out of the hook? Just slide the rifle up. I'm following this thread. Interested to see how you progress.

·
Premium Member
15,013 Posts
LCR is brutal with heavy loads. 3" SP101 would be better but still a lot of recoil. A fishing guide did take down a bear to protect his client with a 9mm but the bear was focused on the client. The 10mm is getting a lot of play in Alaska.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I wonder if you use that hook, if you may be able to shoulder the rifle without even taking the rifle out of the hook? Just slide the rifle up. I'm following this thread. Interested to see how you progress.
Slow shipping up here, finally got it

It's perfect, at least in a controlled environment. I'll update with my opinion after a test hike

You're right, I was checking how it would interfere with my existing drill motion, grabbing the forestock with my left hand, lifting slightly, and then pulling the butt into my shoulder pocket with my right hand on the grip.

Two things

1) if the hook is positioned on the strap lower towards my chest, it stays in place but the weight is on the corner of my shoulder. Moving it higher puts the weight in a more comfortable position and also is more secure. I can walk around without holding the rifle. Not sure how secure this is, it feels better when I'm grasping the grip, but this limits use of trecking poles.
2) in the higher position, I can shoulder it without unhooking, as my strap breaks in this may become even easier. This gives me 3 points of contact to an extent, grip, foregrip, strap under my left elbow. Very satisfying and I don't have any restriction of movement left or right.

Pics of it below. Will update with final thoughts after a few mile hike this weekend.

Air gun Hat Machine gun Shotgun Shooting

Camera Photographer Digital SLR Camera lens Reflex camera

Mirror Workwear Gesture Communication Device Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LCR is brutal with heavy loads. 3" SP101 would be better but still a lot of recoil. A fishing guide did take down a bear to protect his client with a 9mm but the bear was focused on the client. The 10mm is getting a lot of play in Alaska.
I CCW a 9mm XDS, which I carry while hiking as well, gives me some sense of security if I venture outside of camp (yes, I know but you're not stopping me from leaving the rifle in my tent for a few minutes).

Unfortunately I was outbid on the LCR. This is still in my future plans, but for now I have a kit I'm comfortable with

·
Supporting Member
13,534 Posts
Grim
Here is an idea! The Barrel is held with a Velcro Strap so it can be readily broke loose. And the Stock can be lifted out of the holder. The Rifle can also be carried 180 Degrees fom the one in the picture with the Scope down.
Clothing Face Jeans Camouflage Military camouflage

https://wildman.shop

1 - 20 of 31 Posts