Backlit computer keyboard.....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by winds-of-change, Nov 7, 2011.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Since I do most of my work/play on the computer at night, I would like to buy a backlit computer keyboard. I know they are pricey but I really want one. I want one that gives even lighting on all the keys. Have any of you had any experience or own a backlit keyboard. Can anyone recommend a good one to me?

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Never really thought about one...Not a bad idea......

3. vincent

vincent New Member

Typing on one right now...it's a Logitech, no idea how much, the light can be dimmed or brightened, really cool but I'm afraid that's all I know...:rolleyes:

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

HI Winds,

An option you may not have considered is a neat little flexible light that plugs into a usb port and can be positioned to shine directly on the keyboard. The unit is small, with 3 led bulbs and gets the job done and didn't cost me a dime. (my daughter left it on her last trip home)

I can not find the name of the maker of the light, but I bet you can find one at any computer retailer. My daughter is a starving college student, so I know it was not too expensive.

I really like this light and will hate to lose it at Thanksgiving.;)

5. winds-of-change

So you like your Logitch one, huh? Are the keys evenly lit? I'll have to Google it.

6. vincent

vincent New Member

I like it pretty well, yes, keys all evenly lit, wish I knew more to tell ya...:confused: model # Y-UY95, hope that helps...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  7. winds-of-change

I'll look into that, too. Except I need a new keyboard, anyway. My keyboard is so old, some of the keys have the letters worn off. :)

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got a logitech back lit on my tower pc but the letters are wearing off after 2 years of heavy use. but that doesnt bother me much. my fingers know where the keys are :)

9. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

10. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Same model I have. Nice and quiet too so my wife can sleep in the same room and I can still type away without bothering her. The characters are backlit and the keys are too. I don't see how the characters could wear off in any way. Light level can be adjusted and even turned off if you want. I highly recommend it myself.

11. winds-of-change

I don't need a gaming keyboard and I'm not willing to pay extra for it. But it does look like an awesome keyboard. Just a little more than I need.

I haven't seen this keyboard but I do know the characters are worn off the regular keyboard I now use. I imagine the characters on a lit keyboard aren't painted on but clear spaces on the key to let the light through. I wouldn't imagine it would wear off. I'll have to look closer at that model. One model of Logitech I looked at some reviews said the keys were loose or fell off. I'd be ticked if that happened.

12. bkt

bkt New Member

Same here. Well, it's at home and I'm at work, so I'm not using it right now or I'd give you the model number. I think it cost around $50. The light actually shines through the key characters which are large and easy to see, it doesn't just light the space around the keys like some keyboards do. It's perfect for use in a dark or dimly-lit room.

13. Yunus

Yunus New Member

What you need is the Optimus Maximus keyboard. Each key is a small LCD screen and changes to display it's current function. Hold in shift and all the letters become capital.

To bad it's vaporware :)

14. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

I use a Logitech backlit keyboard and really like it. The only thing I don't like is the fact that it's wired. I like everything to be wireless that can be. Maybe they make one now, I don't know.

15. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I would think a wireless backlit keyboard would burn thru batteries pretty quick.

16. winds-of-change

Wow! At that price I'm getting one for everyone on my list for Christmas. :p

What is "vaporware"?

17. nightstalkersDQ

nightstalkersDQ New Member

18. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Logitech, "plain Jane", corded, back lit, keyboard from Fry's electronics store. Bought it for $39.95 last year. Could be a bit more precise for keystrokes. Should work well for the "Hunt & Peck" crowd. Price is good.

FRYS.com*|*Logitech

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  19. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Vaporware is a product that is marketed before it exists and never comes into existence. There's software, hardware and vaporware.

In 2006 I think pictures of this keyboard started showing up all over the place, then the maker kept delaying the release and eventually people realized, it's never going to exist. He's made others but nothing as cool as he advertised and claimed this one to be.