Background Check

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by JolietGunner, Mar 28, 2013.

1. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

So I got this other number for the state police.I figured I would call it and see where the hell my FOID card was (firearms owner id).So they look me up and say Im in the background check area.Then she digs a little more and says I have an arrest and their investagating it.The only time I got in police trouble was in hs for fighting.Do you think Im iI will be denied?

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

were you arrested and prosecuted?

3. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

We're you adjudicated guilty of a crime?

4. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

no I wasnt

5. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

I was arrested sat at the station for ten hours and let go no court

6. orangello

orangello New Member

[​IMG]

You may need to consult an attorney as to why your record isn't clear.

7. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

I dont know their decision yet.So Im going to wait to see if they mail me my card or a screw you letter.

8. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yikes what State is this stringent? I've been arrested twice for big things, one reasonably recent even, and pass my checks lickety split every time.

Must be due to nature of charge, being a violent offense. Mine were driving infractions and knocked down to low grade misdemeanors.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  9. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

Im in Illinois it was a fight in HS twenty years ago!!

10. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

You were never charged and it was 20 years ago?? You should be in the clear. Don't sweat it.

11. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Still considered a violent or aggressive natured crime. That's the only reason I could see for the hold.

12. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Probably! :( Any excuse they can find to keep you from getting a gun they (the progressive government) will use!!!:mad:

13. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone who has been convicted of either felonies or domestic violence/battery is ineligible to receive or possess a FOID card. Since you were never convicted, you cannot be denied. A guilty plea is a conviction, too.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  14. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

If you were not found guilty (or pled guilty) there shouldn't be a problem. If they should happen to hassle you over it an attorney can usually have something like that removed fairly easy.
    You said you were in High School. Were you under 18? Also you can have a records check done on yourself with the city/county it occurred in and find out yourself.

15. new_girsan_1911

new_girsan_1911 New Member

I just checked into this and found out they say the wait on the FOID is well over 2 months.

16. new_girsan_1911

new_girsan_1911 New Member

Another thing i would do, move the hell out of Illinois!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lmao

17. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

Im trying bud hopefully North Carolina next summer!

18. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

It is the alias you used -- "'tater Salad." BIG red flag.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neUaSTSKFZc[/ame]

19. bluebikerboy1

bluebikerboy1 New Member

could also be as simple as they are backed up. took over 8 weeks for them to clear my level 3 guard and open carry firearms permit. website says 4-6 weeks max

20. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

7 years ago I got charged with & plead guilty to a misdemeanor concealed weapon charge (had a switchblade). ever since then, my background check takes about 20 minutes compared to the 5 or so it takes everyone else, the FFL gets transferred from the BATFE to the FBI & an agent there makes the final call.

just picked up a gun today & went through the same thing again. I would think that if I have that kind of black eye on my record & I can still get a gun, you should be in the clear too.