Background check delay?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by ccase39, Nov 13, 2013.

1. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I have bought several rifles handguns and shotguns and have never had a problem. In fact I bought at a gun show a couple weeks back. I go to buy today and get a delay. Wth is this all about?

2. longunner

longunner New Member

What state are you in?

3. j4454

j4454 New Member

I've never had it happen to me but occasionally if you buy a few guns in a short period they will delay it. Also if your name matches a felon sometimes that will cause a delay. Those are the most common reasons for the FBI to delay that I know of.

4. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

No one ever really knows the reason why. It could be anything from they screwed up your information to you are a terrorist to they think you have unusual activity. Did your LGS tell you to come back and pick it up in a few days or did he tell you that it must be a mix up with a common last name and thats all becuase if it is the second that is their way of saying you were denied. If you got nothing on you recored then you will be good to go. Some one had mentioned they send you a letter stating why you got denied but I dont know as I have never been denied a sale by the background check, only the jackass behind the counter who dont know his job. Also always put your SSN, it helps with the "mix ups"

Side note: Did you go for the Maverick?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  5. vincent

vincent New Member

Everything is computerized, sometimes it gets screwed up...

The system is pretty dern busy lately, wouldn't surprise me one bit if there was a big fat backlog of BGC's waiting for approval, I'm sure you're not the only one...:cool:

Chalk it up to electronic BS and try it again tomorrow...

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Did the dealer ask you to pick it up at a certain time or ask specifically when you can return for it? :eek:

Nothing to worry about, just a delay. Giving your social security number can expedite the background check. A concealed carry permit can help, too.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

ccase,

Believe me sometimes it just happens. I have had an FFL for years. I gave my sons an AR-15 for Christmas. Since the receivers were in my books and the boys were in Indiana I transfered them through a local dealer. Of the four rifles one of the boys got a delay. He is 27 and has never been in any trouble or purchased a weapon before. The other boys went through on the fly but he got a delay! Maybe someone somewhere in the country has the same name or close, has been in trouble and they needed to check it out? He did go back to the dealer a few days later and pick it up as it was then approved! So who knows. I have also heard that anyone who has had a top clearance in the military or other almost always get delayed?

8. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

They are now collecting so much data they can't keep up with it maybe? I have had several known repeat customers experience a delay. Usually came thru after a few days. They never tell you why. Government incompetence is my bet. It's a cover up.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have heard if you give your social security number when you fill out the paperwork you will experience less delays. I don't see what difference it makes. There is only one person with your name at the same address.

10. bigsterling

bigsterling New Member

New a new dealer what are some good discount Web sites to visit

11. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I'm in Louisiana. They told me it will take 3 or 4 days and that he would put it aside with my name on it. I have no felonies or anything and have bought plenty with no prob. This would be 5th purchase since March. I bought a Hd shotgun a couple weeks ago for a Christmas gift and a hand gun for my misses an AR and an Ak I figure that's why but don't know

12. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

This one

13. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

What? :confused:

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i always use my social security number when filling out the 4473 form. my SS# are unique. my name or address might not be.

my father, grandfather and i all have the same name, and at one point we all shared the same address.

15. DP03

DP03 New Member

Consider yourselves lucky. Here in the Peoples Republic of Maryland we are waiting 3-4 MONTHS due to the State Police backlog. It's insane.

The liberals think they're doing a good thing because for some reason they just can't understand that criminals don't go through this process.........

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

ccase, there are 3 possible responses to the IBC inquiry- proceed, delay, deny. By the way, that is ALL the dealer gets back.

Delay could be for any number of reasons. In addition to the things listed here already, it could be the unicorn farts are making the computer system hiccup, two of the people doing checks are on vacation, and the one little old lady that DID show up for work is snowed under with requests.

Saw the Chief of Police of Denver Colorado delayed. I have been delayed, and I hold a FFL. No real rhyme or reason for it.

For people that are unfortunate enough to be named Charles Manson (I know one) that get delayed EVERY time, you can apply for a UPIN (Unique personal identification number) that will help reduce that. In most cases, give it a day, it gets fixed.

Stopped by my LGS Sunday last, met police officer bringing guy out in cuffs. Here in VA we do not use the FBI Instant Check System- it is run by the VA State Police. Guy stopped in to buy a gun- got a delay- shop got a call from VSP- we are on the way- there is an outstanding arrest warrant for him. He was still waiting when they walked in and took him.

17. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

Any info on how long a upin takes to get back? I sent my paperwork In 2 weeks ago it arrived nov 5th (I sent it tracked/certified)

18. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

I have never been delayed for one nor has any of my friends.

agree with C3shooter

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  19. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

So if we get denied can we get a reason from the govt?

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

denied and delayed are very different things. denied means you are probably not legal to purchase a firearm. delayed could be any number of things from an overworked backlog of background checks, a glitch in the system or a common name problem.