Back up sights

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by lbwar15, Apr 15, 2012.

1. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Have done some thanking about back up sights. What would be a good set to get and how would I mount them. (I am new to the ar platform). This is my current set up.

Attached Files:

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

There are a lot of folks that make good BUIS sets - MagPUl, Troy, CMMG, Midwest Industries .... you get the idea.
    Of all of them I think the MagPul are the cheapest (cost wise) - they are made of polymer, not the traditional milled aluminum. Aside from cost your next concern would be space - trying to fit them on the rails with your optic. It may just be an issue of putting your scope further up the rail to fit the rear sight. If you do not have enough room one option would be to get a riser/forward cant mount for you optic.

One good feature about a BUIS set up is they are less likely to fail or lose zero once they are set correctly. Another concept is to co-witness them with your optic so even if the optic fails you don't have to monkey around with removing it (unless you have it mounted with a quick detach mount).

3. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I'm not sure but isn't that a riser my scope is mounted on. Like I said new to ar's and I bought it like this.

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

yes it looks like the scope is mounted onto a riser, thats mounted onto the rifle. in your case, the riser would need to move forward far enough on the rifle to allow the rear sight to be mounted. or you could get a different scope mount that is made to sit farther forward but keep the scope towards the rear of the rifle, like this one.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/17688615?...&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=13698538630&wl4=&wl5=pla

if/when you use the MBUIS, you would most likely have to remove the riser that you currently have. from what i can see the riser has a see though hole but it does not appear to be high enough for when the MBUIS would be in use

heres a a link for a set of MBUIS

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Bac...&sort=13&cat=3013&show=40&page=1&brand=Magpul

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  5. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Thanks for the info.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter