Back up carry

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Dionysus03, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Dionysus03

Dionysus03 New Member

Does anybody here carry multiple weapons/firearms? If so I'm wondering if both are the same caliber or if they are different. I'm asking because I carry either an XDM 9mm or a 1911 .45acp depending on the situation but am thinking of getting a subcompact as a backup.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

When I was an LEO, there were times that I DID carry a backup. My service weapon was a revolver, and I carried a smaller revolver as a hideout gun. They were both in the same caliber.

However, I have LONG been retired, and do not chase bad folks for a living. My goal in life is to make it difficult for THEM to chase me (ever tried to run with a sucking chest wound?) and I do NOT carry a backup gun.

Some of my co-workers also carried a hideout gun- they tended to be very small, and would fit under a notebook in a hip pocket. The High Standard 22 Mag derringer was one popular gun for that purpose.

3. vincent

vincent New Member

One is none, two is one...so on on and so forth...

There is a .45 IWB and a .357 on my ankle...If I can't get the job done in 18 shots, it probably just wasn't meant to be...:cool:

4. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Not usually

But I did when I worked night shift downtown Seattle years ago.

SW Mod19 primary, Sterling 302 (22lr) secondary. . . . .

5. Donn

Donn Active Member

Guess I see the question a little differently. I'd consider my 1911 or M&P as backup for my AR or 870. Otherwise, under normal circumstances, one gun with a double stack mag should do.

6. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I find it troublesome to carry an AR or 870 all the time.

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

yeah for some reason the local PD frowns upon me walking up the street patrol style... still cant figure out why.

8. Dionysus03

Dionysus03 New Member

Thanks guys. Haha yea I'd agree with the backup to the AR. But I think people would frown seeing me with an AR on my chest and pistol on my thigh. Not quite the same here though lol.

9. Dionysus03

Dionysus03 New Member

In the end this has a lot to do with weak side draw. I generally carry at the 4/5 o'clock which is great for right - terrible for left. Looking for the backup to position as a weak side. Seems like most people carry a different caliber.

10. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Before my father in law claimed it, I carried a Beretta Bob Cat .22 in my left front pocket as a backup and my primary at 3-4:00. Now it is just the primary gun with 2 extra mags in .45, .40, 9mm depending on which gun I am carrying.

11. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  12. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

When you hike in the woods, you will most likely encounter bigger things with teeth and claws than I will here.

Mostly raccons and coyotes, but my son did have two cougar sightings on my property.

.45 ACP should stop these little critters.

13. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Wow, I've never thought once about needing a second gun. If I'm in some sort of situation where my shooting hand isn't available to grab for it I'm already taking care of business up close and personal - gouging out eyeballs, biting off noses, kneeing nads into flapjacks, and screaming extremely graphic, muderous things like a crazed, blood thirsty banshee.

Might attempt an ankle holster at some point, just to see if it can be pulled off. I guess it would behoove me to place it on the weak side, as you so asutuely point out.

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Hell when it gets so bad I need more weapons than a B-Western cowboy?? I will just hire a Seal Team to follow me around.:D

15. Dionysus03

Dionysus03 New Member

I look at it more as having the strong arm being in use for some other purpose - holding something is the best example. Or in a position where weak side draw is faster and more practical.

Better to be prepared for that contingency and practice for it. It adds another layer of safety and comfort.

16. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  17. Donn

Donn Active Member

True, somewhat over the top. Circumstances would dictate all that ordinance. Normally one gun, one spare mag is what goes with me.

18. phildenton

phildenton New Member

I hear you on that, when im working in seattle and i know i have to go to/through certain areas, i will carry a pocket backup gun (either in pocket or small of back) and a backup knife (actually my primary knife becomes a backup and i will carry a fixed blade as primary). The are near gary's market (if its still there) is one of those places that you would be better not to visit with anything less than a squad of armed men.