back packing stoves

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by purehavoc, Aug 12, 2012.

1. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I used to have a MSR a long time ago and it always gave me problems, This was before the self cleaning jet age . so I sold it shortly after I got it . Anyway just getting back into bail out mode and looking for another stove , I would like it to be a multi fuel stove . I do still have my trusty ol back up which is a home made jobby, " jet stove" , now called the super cat on the I net . I can burn denatured alcohol, rubbing alcohol 91% , and Heet in it without issues . Boils rougly 2 cups of water in a little over 4 min . I would like another commercial stove that will work equal or better than my Jet stove and work well with the same fuels, White gas is ok but I cant use this in my home made stove and I would like them to both be capatable as much as possible , I still have my old alum fuel bottles so packing fuel isnt a problem . Keep me light weight , small and fuel capatable for my needs .
    Thanks,
    PH

2. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

There will be a lot of brands of gas stoves thrown at a question like this, but unless you can fiel a stove with even stuff you fin on the ground, you are shackled to a fossil fuel or processed fuel. I'd like to suggest something like this link for true preparedness. Please read the short paragraph with it.

http://www.littlbug.com/

This is not mine and I do not profit from its sale in any way.

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Very nice , I have seen similar versions of this but not this particular brand , Something like this would be great because if there is wet wood and leaves , alcohol could still be used .

4. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

you'll definitely like this link and youtube vid then. a little long, but it shows how to build a jet stove out of materials you prolly have around your house...........called a "hoop stove."

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWaZ96zYVvQ&feature=related[/ame]

and the BOIL TEST:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MCZ-s86zG8&feature=fvwrel[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have one of these in the works as we speak , I had most of the stuff to do it besides the up draft tubes and the JB weld , I had some wicking material , circle cutters , cans , stainless steel spokes for the legs , etc
    I cant wait to get it finished and try it , However its very ingeneous but I dont think it will boil water near as quick as the cat stove , but it will burn longer and has a more controlled flame and I believe it will burn less fuel . very portable ,quicker warm up to full burn and more durable . it will have its advantages for sure , now someone needs to come up with a way to control the flame up and down ;)

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have built 3 of these and Carbon wick wasnt available locally so I went with a regular oil lantern type wick , It works but it soaks up alot of fuel and makes it burn really rich which you can see from the orange flame however this stove fires up and has almost instant flame out of the jet holes , the other 2 are from full size alum cans and I used steel wool for wicking which works much better and doesnt allow it to run so rich , all of them will boil 2 cups of water is rougly 4 minutes which is outstanding and the leaner they burn the harder it is to see any flame also keeps your cookware cleaner . I have also found that straight holes produce a tighter flame pattern if your using smaller cookware

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  7. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

I make something similar, a bit more archaic than the hoop stove,but it does work very well. Its called as Penny Stove, based on a aluminum can conversion or KIWI tin con verstion, plenty of HOW TO'S on Youtube
    ST~

8. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

the orange, tall flame on the left, is the lantern wick???

i would suspect that you could leave a small lip on the outer edge of the center opening to receive a piece of round (a size that's a lil larger than the center opening), flat (or convex, or concave up :D) aluminum with a hole in the center to "regulate" your flame. just make multiple "regulator caps" with various hole sizes in each. that way you can constrict the amount of burn and the size of the flame. u can even cut or punch, maybe, pencil-sized holes (or smaller) around a center hub instead of a center hole.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  9. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have not updated this but I cut out a little larger center and placed it over the hole and it slowed it down a bit so its not so rich and it slows the other ones down to a simmer.

11. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

good deal!

i have not assembled one yet, but it just looked to reason that one could slow the rate of burn and intensity of the flame that way. if you get a chance, would you make another "larger center" and cut a smaller hole in it's center and see what it does. if you don't mind, could you try different "larger centers" with different sized holes in the center of them, and/or multiple smaller holes around a center hub as i suggested from my earlier post.

it would be much appreciated.

i plan on tryin to assemble one in the near future.

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Will do this one just had one single hole in it about 1/16"
    . I will cut one with a 1/2" hole and go from there. If u use steel wool as wick or copper scrub pad material so it won't rust it shouldn't be a problem with running too rich. The lantern wick material just pulls so much more fuel and because of this it doesn't burn as hot :(

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Update , I put the center in and it still feeds too rich . I dont recommend the cloth type lantern wicks. I suggest using the copper scrub pads for wicking material , rust resistant, and it will do the same job as the steel wool only last longer :)