Back in the Reloading Saddle and could use some help finding bulk bullets and primers

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Dzscubie, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Well, I'm back in the saddle again!

Bought a Dillon 550B and she is now set up and rolling out 223’s for Glass and me.

Now, understand that it has been quite a few years since I’ve done any reloading so I’m a little rusty and am taking it slow and easy. Because it has been awhile since I’ve done this I have a few questions I would like to put out to my friends on the forum.

So here goes:

Where or who would I need to go to to order bulk bullets at the best price and quality. Now I understand this is subjective to the individual but I kind of need a jumping off point. I’m looking for FMJ for the 223 (I had a few Winchester 55 gr FMJBT I’ve used), 38 lead round nose (cowboy action shooting), 45 ACP FMJ and lead semi-wad cutter,
    7.62 X 36 FMJ.

Also where can I get primers? Seems they are far and few between nowdays.

Thanks for your help guys.

Scubie

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2010
  2. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Welcome back to the fun world of reloading!

I ususally check a few different places for reloading supplies.
    I try Midway USA, The Sportsmans guide, when all else fails........I have been using Powder valley Inc to find primers when everybody else is out.

I would reccomend ordering as much as you can afford at a time, the Hazmat shipping fees for powders and primers is very expensive.

3. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I second the use of Wolf Primers, I was worried at first.....but they really do work great!

4. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Thanks guys this is what I'm looking for.. well, time to spend some more of Glass's money. :D

5. budman46

budman46 New Member

Dzscubie,

cpttango is giving you the straight stuff...wolf primers were $18/1000 last week and if you buy 5k they'll cost you about $26/1000 delivered ($25 hazmat and shipping, sorry!) check if powder can be shipped under the same hazmat fee...if so, look at hp38/ww231 for .38 spl loads.

cast bullets...laser-cast has a great reputation and their prices include shipping...Home

as a lament, 5 years ago, these bullets cost about half today's prices...i cast, but i still feel the pain.

budman

ignorance is its own reward

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Powder Valley will combine powder and primers. There is a limit, one hazmat fee for up to 48 pounds is the limit.

7. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Thanks guys, I'm trying to assess all the great information I've been given.

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Powder valley are great people and a great place to shop.

The only thing I don't like about them is they don't tell you the shipping total till after you buy everything. But shipping is reasonable.

9. csaw44

csaw44 New Member

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I love me some midsouth shooters supply. Mainly because they have THE BEST customer support in the business. I made a mistake on an order and I called the next day while they were getting it ready. The nice lady with the super sexy voice said give me a good number to get you at in about 30 minutes.

She took down what I wanted changed and got up and ran down to the floor stopped my package got the item out and put the new one in the package. Came back called me and told me what she did. You can't beat that with a dam stick in my eyes. Plus they are a little better on the shipping over midwayusa. Now I love midway. They have a walmart like selection and great customer service and support. My wife went to order me some birthday presents with my input. Well the flyer had the wrong price and my wife called them and asked which one is the right price. The nice young man said "Well which one is cheaper?". My wife told him and he said "Well then that is the right price". He then said the flyer has a warning that prices may change without notice. But filled the order with the lower price anyways.

I have used

midwayusa
    midsouth
    powder valley
    natchez
    wiedner

Excellent customer support from every single one of them.