Back in JAX

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by ScottA, Aug 10, 2011.

1. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Just arrived back in Jacksonville, Florida after a long two days driving via Chicago. Last time I was back here was '96. I'm looking to getting up to the alma matre (Jacksonville, Univ) sometime in between the conference sessions. I have to replenish my logo shirt and sweatshirt supply.

It's almost like being home.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Hey Scott, I'm only 5 hours south of you.

Drive down on your lunch break and we can do some shooting! :eek::eek:

3. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Scott, get down to St. Augustine if you have the time.

4. utf59

utf59 New Member

Hey, Scott, when did you go to JU? I graduated from there in '82.

If you want to get together for a shoot tomorrow (Friday) evening, let me know.

5. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

I landed at JAX late this afternoon, got rental car and drove to Lake City.
    I don't think I can survive here very long, heat/humidity unbearable to a western boy!
    I gotta do two weeks here, 9:30 pm and still unbearably hot outside the hotel!
    Hope I can acclimate!

6. ScottA

As much as I would love to take some time out to punch holes, I don't think my wife would find that to be a viable suggestion on this trip.

7. utf59

utf59 New Member

She would be welcome to come along, of course, but I totally understand. Give me a shout next time, though.

I'm still curious when you went to JU — we might have crossed paths.

8. utf59

utf59 New Member

Lake City's a bit of a haul...are you coming back through Jax on your way out?

9. ScottA

We were off by about 5 years. I got to JU in 87 and graduated in 90. I've been over to the campus, and it's changed quite a bit. Lots of new dorms and other buildings. Looks like they've been doing a good job expanding.

The golf course is gone. I remember teeing off on some off those holes and watching the ball splash in the middle of the "dry" fairway.

Haven't got to the bookstore yet. It's apparently still on summer hours and closed 5 min before we got there yesterday. I'll have to drop by before we head out on Monday.

About the only thing in the area that looks like it hasn't changed was Nero's. Were they doing all you can eat spaghetti on Wednesday's when you were there? Seemed like half the students at the college would fill that place on those nights.

10. utf59

utf59 New Member

I do remember Nero's, but I don't remember anyplace around there doing AYCE. If they had, I probably would have put them out of business. I went out there a few weeks ago to watch a Jacksonville Destroyers soccer game, and I couldn't believe how much the place had changed.

11. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been two hours to the west of you for 60 years, I have yet to acclimate.

12. redscho

redscho New Member

Acclimating is easier if you remember freezing your buns off for 6 months of the year and finding the high temperature during your summer vacation was 62º and raining for two solid weeks.

Red S. Refuge from upstate NY, land of perpetual recession. Just begining to thaw out after 30 years in N. Florida.