Baby Browning

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Chainfire, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I made the mistake of hitting my favorite pawn shop today, and they hit back.....It is a nice little piece that will keep some other Brownings company.

I just couldn't resist a pistol that I can carry in my shirt pocket, my ball cap or my sock.....
    Made in '66. I fired two mags through it with no problem. I am light on .25 ammo..... now I need to take it down for a cleaning. I saw, in the photo, what I did not see with my old eyes. A couple of spots of rust that have to go away.

Attached Files:

CMAB2SA, Oldoutlaw, towboater and 9 others like this.
  2. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Very cool Chainfire! Great find

3. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Sweet ! Haven't seen one in a long time.

Rifling82 likes this.
  4. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I doubt I could pass one up.

Rifling82 likes this.
  5. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Well-Known Member Supporter

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Chain
    Very Nice little Browning Pistol.
    My neighbor stopped by to visit today and coincidentally he said come to the truck I have something I want to show you. He showed me what they named the Colt Pocket Pistol in 380 cal. It belonged to his Dad and was still in good shape. It had no hammer but had a Slide Safety and a Grip Safety since it was specifically built to literally be thrown in your pocket.
    Colt Pocket Pistol.png
    They made some fine Pistols back then!

7. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

had a 25 many years ago. a cheap Raven.
    when I went to buy a box of ammo, it cost as much as 45 ACP ammo. This was around 1979 or so.
    I then went out and bought a REAL 45 auto, A colt LW commmander (serial number was LW xxxxx... a PRE 1968 model with the alloy frame).
    I then went out and got a Hornady/Pacific 007 reloading press and things have never been the same since!!
    The Raven gave up the ghost on the first magazine or so.
    and so it goes.

8. Chainfire

Ravens really aren't that bad. They have a bad habit of breaking firing pins, but there are cheap, new production SS pins for them that make them work well. A few years ago I bought three Ravens, nearly new, for a hundred bucks at a pawn shop. I gave away two of them and still have one left. It is a reliable Saturday Night Special; not one I would bet my life on, but for $33.33 for a working firearm, you can't complain.

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  9. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Well-Known Member Supporter

There is no comparison between the Raven and the Browning.
    The Browning is tiny and made of steel. The Raven is much larger and made of zinc.

10. Chainfire

Of course not. The Baby Browning is first of all a Browning design (more or less) . A quality pistol that just happens to be tiny. The Raven is a cheap Saturday night special. It is like comparing a Corvette with a Corvair.

BillDeShivs and RKB like this.
  11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

VERY nice little pistol. Picked one up a little time back when I was in my LGS, and had too much money for my own good. 6 months later, picked up its mate wearing mother-of-pearl grips. Yeah, I know what Patton said- this was a lady's gun.

The Babies will chew thru a mag of .25 without a burp- as reliable as a good clock. And while everybody poo-poos the .25 ACP- have not found anyone volunteering to get shot with one!

Oldoutlaw and BillDeShivs like this.
  12. OldManMontgomery

OldManMontgomery Active Member

I found a Baby Browning in a pawn shop just over two years ago. It fit right in with the old Beretta (418 or something, no model number I can spot) and the Colt Vest Pocket 1908 Model. I need to find an FN 1905/1906 (the original John Browning design) to finish that line of thinking.

Those are made so lovingly...

Rifling82 and c3shooter like this.
  13. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

It's nearly the size of Franklin's head on those newfangled "fathead" $100 bills.

Nice little rig. Hopefully it'll end up being a reliable unit.

14. Chainfire

I picked up an FN 1910/22 a couple of months a go. I have been on a Browning roll.
    DSCN1155.JPG

Rifling82 likes this.
  15. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I'd bet that FN has a few "notches" on it...;):cool: Historically speaking.

Both nice pistols. The little Browning looks like a gun from an old spy movie.

Rifling82 likes this.
  16. Chainfire

Thanks!

The 10/22 appears to be an early post-war piece as far as I can tell, so maybe no notches. It is hard to find good information on these. The reason I think that it is early post war is the wooden grips, and that it has no Nazi markings. I believe that it was made with left-over wartime production parts. Not long after the war ended they started shipping the pistols with plastic grips. I have not been able to find information about the serial number that would give an accurate date. If anyone knows, I would appreciate input.

17. Chainfire

Sniper, there is one of those in a pawn shop 35 miles from my house; been there for about three years. The old man who owns the shop won't put a price on it because he is afraid he will sell it too cheap....He probably got it for a $50.00 loan.

This shop is interesting because it combines pawning with bail bonds. Mom and pop pawn shops always walk a fine line between greed and fear. The greed wants them to sell it for cash, but the fear of selling it too cheaply keeps it in the case. This shop does not have a computer and I doubt that the owner would know how to turn one one, so his view of current prices is limited.

18. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Chain

That would be a good deal if you or someone could get a good deal on that pistol in the Pawn Shop!
    The Colt Pocket Pistol is a collectors piece and is bringing good money.
    The 380s are bringing around $1000 or more and the 25s are bringing around $500. in good condition. So condition and caliber of them determines their market value at the present time. I have seen the 380 cal. pistols up to around $1500. They are a very safe little pistol for the pocket since they have a Grip Safety and a Slide Safety on them. Both would have to be deactivated for the pistol to accidently fire.;)

19. superc

superc Active Member

It is an amazing coincidence. Last December 2019 around Xmas time I too visited a local pawn shop based on a tip and I found this Baby Browning in there for only $200 because it was missing a magazine. Hello Triple K (gosh I wish they would reprint their old paper catalogue with sketches of every pistol, I kick myself for giving it away. Who knew PDF was coming? LoL) Magazines Company. That done, the FN Baby Browning works flawlessly with no stutters. So unlike the junky Bauer I bought back in the 70s. The durn Bauer was actually less reliable than the Jennings .22 that replaced it. :)
    20191117_171404.jpg

20. Chainfire

That one looks great! Mine has considerably more wear. I just got a smart phone belt pouch that fits the baby fine.

superc likes this.