B s a 303

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by alabama, Aug 3, 2013.

1. alabama

alabama New Member

I have a question about a old BSA 303 and a sealed ham can of ammo maybe somebody can help with. ON THE STOCK IT HAS THE NUMBER 1687. THEN STAMPED IN THE METAL ABOVE THE TRIGER IT HAS A SMALL CROWN AND G R, BSA.02, 1918, SHT LE, TTT (AND A STAR LOOKING PICTURE). THE AMMO CAN HAS A STICKER ON IT SAYING 05-76-11 320RD .303 BRITISH 174GR FMJ PRINTED ON CAN IS HARD TO READ IT ALL BUT SAYS 7.62 24 WITH A LINE UNDER IT AND 53 UNDER IT.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

pictures are very helpful for us to help you identify your firearm and ammo.

BTW, welcome to the forum and stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello!:D

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Welcome! First please turn off your cap locks.

THAT IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING

And make it hard to read.

Yes, good pics help a lot! Well lighted, plenty pixels in focus. Also- uh- what is your question? Have not asked one yet.

In the meantime, your rifle is the classic SMLE Mk III. Later known as Rifle #1, Mark III. Markings? Made by Birmingham Small Arms (BSA). All military arms in Britain were the property of the monarch (GR is George Rex, or King George) and it was made in 1918 (you have a WW 1 veteran) Ammo is correct for that rifle.

Here is a TON of reading for you. http://www.surplusrifle.com/smle/index.asp

One of the best battle rifles ever built.

4. hoovco

hoovco New Member

image-1663017639.jpg

Ha ... I don't have anything constructive to add to your conversation, but this is funny. Sorry.

5. alabama

alabama New Member

Bsa 303

Thanks for nothing. If caps is all yall know anything about looks like i come to the wrong place to ask questions. Strange thing is i dont hear any shouting when i see capitol letters. Lot easier for me to read to. That said i bid you all a good day. I wont be back in this site again.

6. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Alabama, you didn't ask a question. You just spat out some specs with no photos to help us out. C3shooter gave you plenty of helpful information. Sounds like you got your monies worth.

7. hoovco

hoovco New Member

If you're gonna get all butthurt easy, you're probably not gonna have a good time here anyways.

8. HILLTOP

HILLTOP New Member

I have some info on the 303 and ammo. I will look it up and post it. Dont pay no attentions to the people on here that cant read and need something to fuss about. Any info you get from them would be useless. C3shooter did have some useful info and the caps didnt bother him

9. IDVague

IDVague New Member

Way to welcome a new poster.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Hmmmmmmm...........he did mention the CAPS!!!!! maybe you have a hard time reading.

and the guys were just yanking his chain a bit. if he got his feelings hurt over that, then he probably won't enjoy this site very much. having a thick skin and the ability to also laugh at yourself is required here on this forum.

BTW, welcome to the forum and stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello to everyone.

11. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

O Well !.....................

12. xring3

xring3 Member

I recall getting a not so warm welcome from a 30-40 Krag site. My question was fairly simple and probably could have been answered on any forum. Nevertheless, keeping a thick skin and getting your question answered should be your bottom line. Discretion is the better part of valor.

13. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

alabama; If you can`t take some ribbing, you probably don`t want to be here anyway...............

14. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

I once owned a
    1953, B S A, B-34

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  15. xring3

xring3 Member

I too once owned a BSA 1965 spitfire. Ran fast as long as you could keep it together. I think the rifles are more reliable than the motorcycles.

16. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Great,
    Not too many people today know about the other BSA
    Sadly
    the quality went to hell in later years.
    Sure would like to have that bike today.

17. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Very simple bikes. I did rebuild them along w/ Triumphs and Nortons at on time.

18. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Nothing wrong w/ a little chain pulling and sarcasm and I do it a lot. However, we should not jump all over a guy on his first few posts. Very few people on this forum agree with my line of thinking and that's ok. I have had things said to me that would have had guys banned on other forums. But, I just throw it right back. I am a grouchy old liberal curmugeon who doesn't give a damn what people think of me. I have been here for several years and I am still here, and in for the long haul. I have been thinking about making a list of all of the things I believe in and posting it, but too many guys here couldn't handle it and sparks might really start to fly.

Anyway, I don't know much about British .303's but they are neat rifles and I have thought seriously about getting one someday. The problem is I can barely keep up with the different calibers I have already.
    ct

19. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

Just do it buy a SMLE and embrace the smell of ambience, cosmolene and old oil and take it shooting.
    There are some blokes here in Australia that use them on deer and pigs and they do that job very well :D and with a 10 shot mag you can carve up a mob of pigs or kill that nasty paper target out to 600yds if your good enough with open sights.