B&C Medalist

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by AusLach, Apr 4, 2011.

1. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

Well I just ordered a new Bell & Carlson stock for my Weatherby .223 :cool:

I chose the black and gray spiderweb Weatherby style Medalist, as I like the shape, balance and feel of the factory stock, the only problem being it flexes unbelievably, especially when I carry it with a sling. The aluminium bedding block in the Medalist should prevent this, making the rifle more accurate and easier to shoot with a sling as well as a bipod for when we go spotlighting (yes, it's legal here :))

The price will probably floor you guys, it will end up costing $410 shipped however as evidenced by some of my earlier posts, the prices down here for anything firearm-related can only be described as extortion :mad: Even so, I'm happy with my purchase as it'll improve shooting as well as dressing up a pretty plain (if workmanlike) rifle. And don't worry, I'll make sure I post pics as soon as it arrives!

Link - shooters.com.au - B&C Medalist Stock

2. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Ouch! $410?! You do not want to know what they cost here. Ha.

But it is a great stock. You will love it once you get it set up. Are you gonna bed it? (hint, hint)

3. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

I've seen what they cost there! :mad:

I'm thinking I will bed it m14s, only after a flurry of PM's being sent I'm sure! My only worry is whether the glass bedding on top of the aluminum block will be worth it though.. :confused:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations Aus. :cool:

How are folks recovering down there?

5. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

Thanks CA, everything's going well.. Our national budget is going to be back in deficit for a couple of years, although by all reports we should be posting surplus budgets again by 2013/14..

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

I loves me the spiderwebs!
    [​IMG]

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

and this one.

Attached Files:

8. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

Beautiful rifle brother :cool:

Did you glass bed on top of the aluminium bedding block Lon??

RE the other picture, if I could've found the black stock with red spiderweb I would've jumped on it, my mate has a custom Weatherby with one and it looks amazing..

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

No, I didn't glass bed, bro.

10. fixxer

fixxer New Member

Bell and Carlson makes great stocks.

They are local to me but they don't have a show room so I bought my B&C Tactical from an outfit on Gunbroker (called direct and got a Harris swivel bipod too). This is went on my Rem 700 AAC SD project:
    [​IMG]
    I'm still waiting on optics to arrive and drawing up a Legal Trust for the suppressor is starting in the works. So far the stock feels very nice by most importantly it locked up and bedded solid when I torqued it down. The full length aluminium bedding is FAR better quality than the OEM craptastic Hogue Ghille Green stock that flexed at the forearm when I held it... Talk about junk... The only downside could be that they are heavy; which for me is a +. Anyway, enjoy your stock and rifle (from across the pond). I know I'll enjoy mine for ages.:)

11. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

Mine still hasn't shipped yet :(

It said to allow 10 days when I ordered it but don't they know how impatient I am!? :p

12. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

Well my stock has finally shipped (they debited my account, so I hope it has!), so I should have a brandspankin Medalist within a couple of days. Only problem is, I don't know when I'm going to be able to get home next to shoot :( I work over Easter, and with five days being public holidays I can't really afford to take them off.. I'll just have to wait I guess :rolleyes:

13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Auslach,Don't you just hate waiting for a new toy.

Hopefully it will be just what you want,when it arrives.

14. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

I hate it with a passion! Even worse will be the fact I probably won't even be able to fit it to the rifle for at least a couple of weeks :mad::rolleyes:

15. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

Checked in at the post office today, guess what I found!? (Please excuse the crappy iPhone pics)
    [​IMG]
    Initial impressions out of the box were good, the stock felt light in my hands but still very sti... rigid at the same time. (I know where that was about to end up!) It has no checkering, however the stock's texture should still provide a firm grip in all weather conditions. The B&C does not have the same 'give' in it compared to the Weatherby factory stock, and feels firmer. There is absolutely no bend or flex allowed in the forearm.
    [​IMG]
    The spiderwebbing is tastefully applied over the top of the synthetic finish and although you can feel some of the larger globules, I think it just adds to the texture.

One thing that surprised me was the finish inside the stock where the bedding block was. From the factory the cutout is obviously sanded away, and the inside of the stock looks almost hollow, exactly the same as an 'Aero' chocolate bar.
    [​IMG]
    The bedding block looks as if it should fit perfectly, although I'll have to wait until I'm home next to check the fit, hopefully it'll be within a couple of weeks :(
    Uncle Mikes sling swivels are installed, as is a Decelerator recoil pad (not that the .223 kicks much anyway!) The stock shoulders nicely, and the extra give in the pad allows for a very steady hold.

Initial impressions have me very happy with my purchase, it should hopefully tighten up the groups on what is to be honest a pretty accurate little rifle already, and dress it up a bit at the same time.

16. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Nice, really nice. It'll take you about five minutes to swap it out.

17. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

How long is that in metric time?

18. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

About the same amount of time it takes to slip another shrimp on the barbie.

19. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

I knew it. Time goes by faster down under. So a Metric minute is roughly .62 of an American Standard minute.

20. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

Exactly, its the same 5-to-8 ratio that we use to convert miles and kilometers... Oh and BTW Lon, the 'shrimp on the barbie' thing is just the same as the Fosters beer myth; no one down here drink that sh!t or calls them that..

They're prawns :p:D