B.C. Hunter charged by wounded moose

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Rocky7, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

Crazy stuff....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwF02n-015s[/ame]

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Bring enough gun!

no offense and none taken

3. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

That's crazy & he is one lucky dude!

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If that idiot invites me to go hunting I'm staying home.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

5. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

I think he probably had enough gun, alright. The mistake? I'd guess he shot at "the brisket". Moose are a big target and a hunter who gets a tad glassy-eyed will just shoot at it or shoot at the shoulder - or the brisket. Nope. Shoot at the heart when they're face on. This has always been true: "Aim small, miss small."

Second, he fired one shot and left to walk up on it. Nope. You get another load up the pipe and stand there. Wait 2-3 minutes at least. If it gets up, put another one into it right now. Too many times a hunter will shoot once and then wait for an animal to drop/die. That's not a good idea, specially with moose.

Awesome video, tho.

I'd hunt with him in a minute. He seems like a slightly crazy sob who is not full of himself and not afraid. There'd be stories to tell for sure. :)

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If any large animal is down where I can see it I am going to wait at least 10 minutes, maybe 15 before I approach it. I almost lost a nice buck by approaching it to quickly. I shot the buck right in the shoulder with an SKS, waited about 5 minutes, then approached it. The deer jumped up and ran into a thick cut over. I came home to get a dog. I released the dog where I shot the deer. In 10 minutes the dog had bayed the deer. I had to get a brush ax to get to the dog and deer.

I miss that old dog. Once he smelled blood you had to put a pincher collar on the dog and literally drag it off the trail.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

A friend in Alaska shot a bull moose and 3 cows treed him. I would have liked to see a video of that.

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but what was he charged with and how the heck does a moose get the legal authority to charge anyone with anything????

9. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Oh... never mind.

10. jasonvdb

jasonvdb New Member

Yup shot placement is key, knowing how many rounds are left in your gun, and waiting it out for 5-10 mins is the right thing to do. He is lucky he didn't get trampled.

Sent from my HTC One using Firearms Talk mobile app

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Where is a brisket vs. a heart shot. I don't like when the animal suffers. :(