Awsome find today

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by t_humm, Dec 11, 2013.

1. t_humm

t_humm New Member

I was helping clean out a back room in my high school today and found this.
    DoD and Civil Defense booklet on building bomb shelters from 1962.

Attached Files:

2. SB777

SB777 New Member

Great time capsule type subject. I remember the drills in elementary and middle school diving under your desk to protect from the nuclear blast.

3. t_humm

t_humm New Member

I agree. Unfortunately they all had water damage, this was the nicest one. As all of the information is online there no value there, but I think that it shows just how close we came to mutual destruction.

4. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Thats pretty cool my old high schook still had the old metal sign in the back that says nuclear fallout shelter on it. Still a cool find

5. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Very cool. A middle school in my area still the the fallout shelter sign beside the main doors. There are several older businesses in my towns square that still have the fallout shelter sign. Very cool relics from the past and you're correct, reminders on how close we came to becoming dust.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I recall those days as well. It reminds me of the more current "Global" Warming scare. The fear was created the Cold War and the conflicts with the Communist such as the Korean War. And like Global Warming we discovered the fear was unfounded.
    When the Wall came down and the outside world was allowed into Russia it was a joke. The Reds ran a Damn could bluff that is all. Most visitors to Russia remarked? We were afraid of these poor Bastards?:rolleyes:

7. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

They were poor because they spent all their money on nukes. If the nukes would have started flying, it wouldn't have been good for anyone.

8. TLuker

TLuker New Member

They didn't spend it all on nukes. They also bought a lot of tanks and small arms that would have been tough to stop in Europe even without the nukes. :)

9. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

Iirc my estimated lifetime in an all out war with Russia with the job I had in the army was 13 seconds

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I was in Frankfurt, Germany during the Cuban Missile crisis.

We thought the Soviet tanks were going to come through the Fulda Gap at any moment.

But there was no in any of our minds that whether we personally lived or died, the USA was going to kick their ass.:mad:

11. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

hells yeah we can still kick ANY nations ass no matter what even though the military is being gutted yet again don't they ever learn these lessons of history

12. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

If you can find it, read the book "World War III"(1984 or 5). I was once honored to attend a lecture at Ft. (Mother) Rucker given by Lt. General Hal Moore, who had just read the book for the editors, and said it was the most realistic scenario of what a Tank & Airmobile war with the Sov. Bloc in Europe would have gone down...I was there for my 3rd airframe transition in 7 years...

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You have no idea how close we came. Look at the Doomsday Clock sometime. The closest listed time is 2 minutes to midnight in 1953. Not on the record but we came a lot closer than that in the cold war.