Avoid "Close-Minded" Syndrome

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by SGT-MILLER, Oct 22, 2009.

1. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

How many of you at some point immediately dismissed something because of the general popular view on that subject?

An example would be dismissing the use of a FMJ round for defense because of the general idea that the only good defensive rounds are hollowpoint or saying that revolvers are a poor choice for defense when compared to semi-automatics.

The worst thing you can do, in my opinion, when learning the how/what/when/where of defensive shooting is to blindly go with the masses without doing some research for yourself. Avoid becoming a "sheeple" at all costs. Use actual research conducted by others to help further your own opinions and knowledge, but make up your own mind in the end, and don't throw out ideas because they are mocked by large groups of other people.

Remember, at one point in history the idea of shooting a pistol with two hands was considered ridiculous. During those times a man shot with one hand and one hand only. Look at how the times has changed.

There is more than one way to do things in the world of defensive firearms. Learn from as many credible sources as you can, and use that information to make your own best judgements based on your own situation/envoirnment. If you have a preferred mindset towards something, and it works for you then stick with it. I encourage you not to immediately dismiss the ideas of others without researching the idea a little, though.

Keep an open mind and learn as much as possible. Your brain wins the fight, not your gun.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Very true SGT, as much as I hate the stupid stick hippies put EVERYWHERE in Asheville, minds only work when open. Being able to openly discuss is one of the best ways to educate yourself.
    When I was in college I would eat lunch a couple times a week with a girl who was my polar opposite. I don't think we agreed on ANYTHING, be it political, religious, social, environmental, anything at all. During out lunches we would discuss everything under the sun and I learned more about the opposing view point from our lunches then any other source. This was only possible because we could openly talk and listen to eachother without getting upset. Same applies here. Great reminder SGT!

3. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Good post and points, Sgt Miller.

Personal testing, research and experimentation will give one the true answer in understanding and the best solutions that may work for them, and not work for someone else.

Majority has been proven wrong or misinformed from time to time, because someone conducted their own test and liked their own results.

That's the beauty of personal freedom of choice, and whatever works for you, in any, and all situations and circumstances. :)

Jack

4. hydrashok

hydrashok New Member

Yeah, but...

JD said I shouldn't get Airsoft rails for my AR15, even though they look the same to me as the Knights Armament rails... and at a fraction of the cost. He said he would laugh at me if I put them on... :D

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Yeah, but he's laughing at you anyway just for asking...

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Of course, avoiding ridicule from JD is an excellent reason to avoid something.

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Seriously though, there was an article in Shotgun News 2 or 3 years ago about guys getting rails and such from Leapers and other airsoft suppliers before heading off to the sandbox because they could not get enough into the supply system. And they were actually holding up well in combat.

And to get this back on Sgt.Miller's orig topic, I agree. Anything that is too inflexible will eventually break. Training evolves because of the lessons learned by predecessors. Keep an open mind, and judge for yourselves if a certain tactic or philosophy has merit.

8. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Isn't that an oxymoron? :confused:

9. WDB

WDB New Member

I expect if taking advice from the masses includes people that have shot for many years, served in the military or in law enforcement. Yep those masses are EXactly who you should get advice from. It isn't so much "popular view" as it is real world experience. Imagine the qualified hands on experience to have a firearm to be considered good or bad. Not a single opinion but many people on on many forums expressing honest use of firearms and ammo.

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I do my best to keep an open mind. I'm not embarrassed to ask questions and to learn new things. In fact. I really enjoy learning new things and my ego is such that I don't have any issues listening to experts.
    However, I'm also of an age where I have acquired some wisdom and have some faith in my own judgment as well. It's a nice place to be. ;)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  11. Highpower

Highpower New Member

A cat that jumps on a hot stove quickly learns not to do that again.
    It also learns not to jump on a cold stove either.... :p

Just because an individual does something stupid once and gets away with it unscathed, does not mean that it will always be the case. There is strength in numbers. JMO. :)

I do try to keep an open mind, but I don't rely on that to guide my life - preferring to employ personal (and other's) experience and my internal BS detector instead. Those have served me extremely well over the years.

YMMV.

12. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Bravo! :D

That is where things go horribly wrong in most cases. Determining who is, and who isn't an "expert". :(

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  13. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

The point of the thread is to not follow blindly without research on your own.

Take the advice of seasoned professionals, and use that advice if it is credible. What works for one person will not work for another, though. Don't be afraid to do your own research.

Would you buy a pistol without handling it at all just because a group of people say that is the best pistol ever?

Would you buy a car without taking it for a test drive just because lots of people say the car is the best?

Would you vote blindly for a president because lots of other people say he's great, and will fix the nations problems?

Don't take the same attitude towards learning about self defense. Don't follow blindly without researching things yourself. Keep your mind open, research things, and come to your own conclusions. If you determine that using the tactics taught by Clint Smith are the best for you, and the best pistol for you is a Smith and Wesson Model 10 revolver, don't let someone tell you different.

With that said, be sure to research from credible sources. Credible sources are professionals in the defensive firearm world. Use google and search the following people/places:

GunSite

Thunder Ranch

Tactical Response (I don't like the guy, but there is some good stuff in his lesson plans)

Clint Smith

Jeff Cooper

In fact, don't even take what I say on this forum as gospel...... I have no real credibility, so I encourage you to take anything I've said with a grain of salt. Do the research. It's worth it.

14. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Even still, that source is not always accurate in its conclusions.

Perfect example: the 9mm pistol round. Anyone with military experience knows that that round is not an adequate stopper... but there is always the unmentioned, vastly important detail that military rounds are FMJ. They don't use today's hottest, heaviest, and furthest-expanding loadings we have available as civilians, which have proven themselves much much more successful.

Not to turn this into another pistol cartridge flame fest, just giving an example to support the original point.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

when i try to make my mind up about a certain product i will look at buyer responses and weed out opinions of folks who most liekly are just trolling and try and go by previous experience with a given product. one of the things i almost discount out of hand are endorsements by people in the industry or who work for mass media organiziations or who run a business in that industry. it is just hard for me to trust some one who is getting paid to endorse products or write articles for media sources that get paid to advertise products.

the closer an information source is to the product i am interested the less weight their opinion carries for me.

when i was looking at getting my Ruger SR556 i was reading all i could about it all the opinions i could find. most of it was pretty much worthless as it devolved into "gas piston is bad bleh nyah!!". it was a little difficult to make up my mind since it is a new product and there isnt a lot out there on it. so i read a lot of opinions and using my previous experience i went looking for one to see it in person. i knew that some of the greatest battle rifles including the M1 Garand were a gas piston design the SR556 really intrigued me. when i saw it and held the weapon and inspected it in person i bought it.

anyway for me there is no hard and fast rule i just get as much info as possible sift out the BS, haters, trolls, and paid to endorse junk to get to the few nuggets of info that will help me to decide.