Average price for a safe?

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by Glockpotion23, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Glockpotion23

Glockpotion23 New Member

I will be looking for a safe but don't want to spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars for a safe. I know there are some or more that can or will but for me its not really in the budget. So, how much do I need to spend to get a quality safe? and where to look for one?

2. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Cabellas, bass pro , or stores like that are a great place to look. They have many on display so you can get a feel for it, plus see the inside. Hard to tell looking online.

3. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I got mine at Tractor Supply. They had the better safe for the best price around here.

4. AR10

AR10 New Member

Best deal on a safe, is second hand. They don't wear out. I own over a dozen safes, in several locations, and my best safes were free.

Safes get abandoned in buildings when business move.

Call several real estate agents asking them if they know of any. Craig's list is also a good source.

A 80 year old safe is made better than the imported box store version, hands down.

5. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

From what I have read, even looking at a safe doesn't matter, if you don't know what you are looking at/for. You have to know that, and be able to ask the right questions. See Gun Safes "The Truth" by weapons Education on YouTube. One of the better ones I've found.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  6. PSYCHOFREAK3

PSYCHOFREAK3 New Member

Same here, best price out of anyone and still a name brand current production safe.

7. BK3220

BK3220 Member Lifetime Supporter

TSC gave me the most safe for the money. There are sometimes cheaper ones online, but I question the quality and shipping costs are high.

8. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Safe or a gun cabinet with a combination lock?

Safe: $3500.00 and up.

Lockable gun cabinet: $1500.00 and down.

9. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Anything better than a sheet metal cabinet will probably keep out most of the smash & grab types. Plus, they're usually fire resistant.

10. SB777

SB777 New Member

Got a Liberty on sale at Lowes several years ago for about $350. It serves it's purpose but, any professional crook can get into any safe. The better quality safes just take a little longer to get into.

11. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Myself I have a big "American" brand safe that I spent a couple of grand for years back. Have always been satisfied with it. But after looking at a friends "Sentry" brand safe ordered thru Wal-Mart on line drop shipped / delivered into his house for under a grand, "Electric Key pad" entry heavy with some fire rating. I think It was a pretty good deal he got.

FWIW

12. CHIEF-GREATDANE

CHIEF-GREATDANE New Member

Yea id get one from Walmart... Not as good of quality but it will get the job done and for a much better price!

13. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

A few years ago I paid $550 for a Liberty Centurion at Gander Mander right after Christmas.

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Uhhuh. He got a good deal until those plastic parts in that thing slips, and he can't get into it without destroying it. Been there, not fun. As an interesting side note; mine was a smaller, square fire safe (but also Sentry Brand)with the electronic key pad. It took me about 8 min to get in with a framing hammer and a flat bar. (That included dumping it out, and throwing it out a second story window.) If it had been bolted to the floor, 1/2 the time.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I paid $800 for my safe. It is a Liberty. But it is from Cabelas and has their brand name on it. It is a good safe. Solid construction and good fire rating.

When you try to decide how much to spend on a safe think about what you are protecting. Are you trying to keep the kids away from 2 hunting rifles? Buy a stack on for $150. That is what I started out with. But now I have a collection worth over ten grand easy. $800 is a good insurance policy.

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I got a 48 gun Cannon safe from Tractor Supply (with keypad) on Black Friday.
    Safe, Delivery, and dehumidifier cost was less than $900.

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have Liberty safes. I know I can't keep out a professional thief but a liberty safe will keep out your average thief. Liberty has a good fire rating and service. A friends house burned down. A liberty tech was there two days later to retrieve his valuables. I like the sentry safes at tractor supply. They will stop a smash and grab robber. For under $200 sentry safes are well built. I don't like stack on safes. I can bust into a stack on with a lug wrench. Most thieves have a lug wrench.

18. mahall

mahall New Member

Geez I guess no matter wants to hear about my 150 dollar walmart special! It's small and only holds about 3 descent size handguns plus a decent amount of ammo!! It's probably not the best made but it works for me!!

19. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Every so often Home Depot has Sentry Safes on sale($479-$799 depending on size), not the very best but a 30+ minute fire rating(1200 degrees) and 16-20-24-30 gun capacity depending on size, that you can also expand with Many add-ons...

20. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Here's the link http://youtu.be/ltK-bDbADa8 I've had that one bookmarked too.

Buy bigger that what you need. I think most of us learned that mistake. You can get a decent combination safe for a small collection at decent price as everyone mentioned. This one is good if you don't have much or need something to get started due to budget - http://www.stack-on.com/categories/stack-on-safes/products/37

In not a fan of the keypads either. Tumblers have been around forever.