automotive grease?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by savageshooter1997, Nov 25, 2012.

1. savageshooter1997

savageshooter1997 New Member

I have a couple rifles that i dont do much with when its not deer season and i was wondering if i could coat them in a thin layer of automotive grease to protect them before and during season? And if it isnt good for the rifles what cheap alternative are there? Any feedback is appreciated

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

No need for grease! Just clean them and leave a light coat of good gun lubricant on them. And be sure to run a patch with lube through the barrel and then run a dry patch through it "one time" to take out the excess. If they are kept in a dry area that is all you need to do.

3. savageshooter1997

The gun lubricant is what i was wondering about replacing. I normaly use rem oil or wd 40 when i run out of rem oil but i get tired of paying such high dollar for that stuff when i have a full grease gun sitting in my garage.

4. Sniper03

Just a hint! You should never use WD-40 on a firearm. If there is any residue left in the chamber area since it is a penetrating oil. It can get into the primer pocket well on the round and cause them to have inadequite or no ignition. The other issue is RemOil. Even though it is good lubricant for the right application you realy need something a little thicker with a little more lubricity. Example "Breakfree!" But be sure to shake it up before using. It will seperate if left on the shelf for a long period. G-96 is great stuff. But if you are on a budget and want to make some excellent lube. Go to Walmart or other store and buy you one of those real small 2 cylcle gas cans that will hold at least a Quart and a half. (Usually Red Plastic) Then buy 1 Quart of 5W50 Mobile One Synthetic Motor Oil and 1/2 Quart of Mobile One Synthetic Transmission Fluid. Mix the Quart of Mobile 1 Oil and the 1/2 Quart of Transmission Fluid together in the small can. It will make you a whole quart and a half of great lubricant. Pour it into a small spray dispenser to apply to a patch or part. We have been using it at the Academy for around 10 years in our AR-15/M-16 Rifle Program. And if you were buy that much lube it would cost you a bunch.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  5. savageshooter1997

Thanks bud! I did not know that! I ussualy use the wd 40 on my bolt but i will quit using it now! So is it any synthetic oil or is it strictly 5 w50?

6. RaySendero

RaySendero Member

I use WD-40, but not as a lubricant. Its great for cleaning out something in the barrel that other cleaners don't get. Its also great for rust prevention as it dries leaving a protective on the surface.

But Sniper03 is right about not leaving it in the gun barrel OR the trigger works - If you use WD-40 you should be careful to not get it in or make sure you get it out/off of some places.

7. savageshooter1997

Should i remove it from my bolt? How would i do that?

8. RaySendero

RaySendero Member

LOL yes! Get it off and out of the bolt.

If you can disassemble the bolt and clean it then that's best.
    If not try blasting it out with Gun Scrubber or a similar product (Winchester markets a good one). Even carb cleaner will do.

THEN re-lubricate all these parts.

9. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

That is a myth. Here is an experiment on that issue.

The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 2

[EDIT]
    I've used automotive grease as a firearm lubricant and rust preventative for over 30 years.
    [/EDIT]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  10. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I use Mobile one to lube guns with. Grease just traps dirt.

11. savageshooter1997

Thanks! I was kinda starting to freak out about it. Im still gonna remove the wd40 tho just because i dont care for the thinnes of it and how it tends to "creep" and get to places i dont want it to.

12. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

BS!

any light petroleum distillate AKA wd-40 will seep into an unsealed case mouth or primer pocket. Regardless of what some Guy said on YouTube.

Wd-40 and Rem oil are inadequate options for firearm lubrication.

Automotive grease has perfect applications for firearm lubrication. Bolt lugs, frame rails... anything that slides. If it rotates, a quality oil is needed. Militec, G96, CLP, Triflow, etc.

13. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

You do realize the irony here? You are the one simply making a claim; the Guy on YouTube came with evidence.

14. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

You assume I came to FTF to learn. Maybe you assume im some schlub when it comes to guns.

Either way, this is not the case.

I am extremely versed in all things guns, especially ammo. I have also done extensive ammo testing. Something as simple as leftover lube or solvent in a cleaned chamber or breech face is enough to have degrading effects on primers or powder charges.

I speak from first hand knowledge. Nor from what I heard someone else say.

15. Sniper03

Savageshooter,

Reference the viscosity of the oil (Grade) we use the Mobile 1 Synthetic 5X50 due to the fact of its consistency and the fact it is thick enough to lube the working parts and exterior and stay on the rifle or parts. In extremely cold climates one might want to consider a lighter consistency like 5W30 for example in those periods. But it works fine and is inexpensive for the amount of lubricant it makes. As far as the W-D 40 there will never be any used around my weapons. Were the primers in the YouTube test crimped primers, sealed primers who knows. But I do know that if you have a bolt or fastener which is rusted solid in a part that WD-40 being penetrating oil for which it was designed gets down inside the threaded hole if allowed to be left on the part. So no gambling on my part! Only takes one time! I would not worry about my bolt too much. I would just set it up in a vertical position locking lugs on the bench and let it set overnight or for a day or so. If there is an abundance of WD or other lube in the inside of the bolt it will run out through your firing pin hole and it might then be wise to disassemble your bolt. If it does not run out there is not enough in there "if any" to hurt anything.

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

17. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Not trying to be argumentative, but anything not dry will attract dirt, be it oil, grease, water, etc.

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If a gun is locked in a safe, in a case or both dust shouldn't be an issue. In a safe rust shouldn't be an issue. High end safes have a dehumidifier built into them. If you have a cheapo gun cabinet/safe you can put a small light bulb in it on a timer so it only runs a few hours a day to control the climate in your gun cabinet/safe. If you clean your hunting rifle and use any popular gun oil it should remain rust free for around 6 months. I hope you get your hunting rifle out for a little plinking at least a couple times during the summer. Then you wipe it down before putting it back in the safe.

I am fond of slipstream weapons grease. it's expensive it costs about $16 a year to grease all my guns. If I am going to cut corners it's not going to be on the maintenance of my guns. Yes, auto lubricants will keep your gun rust free and operating under controlled conditions.

But when you travel you might forget to pack your auto lube and borrow some high tech gun oil from a friend. When you mix the two products you have some form of slime running out of your gun for days. This slime will not leave you a happy hunter. It is easy to justify the cost of gun oils to prevent one incident similar to what I just mentioned. I bought my guns to make my dreams come true. I hope everyone here owns a gun for the same reason. Your dreams being smashed by improper maintenance is not a good experience.

19. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

Usually, when I store my guns for a long period, usually winter, I use a lurking wheel bearing grease and apply sparingly with a q-tip. When I take the gun out again I clean it with Breakfree CLP before shooting it.

20. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I would not consider WD 40 or Remoil to be gun lubricants at all. Remoil is one of the most useless things ever marketed to gun owners.

Mobil 1 5W30 is damn good at lubricating guns. Castrol Syntec is pretty darn good too. Neither is the best at rust prevention. I use the silicone wipe from Senty Solutions for exteriors.

WTS, the BEST gun lube I have ever used is Machinegunners lube from Sprinco. I have seen Sigma trigger pulls reduced from 12 lbs to 8 lbs by detail cleaning and proper application of that stuff!