autoloader or pump?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by juststartin5272, Jun 2, 2013.

1. juststartin5272

juststartin5272 New Member

Not sure which my next venture will be. Would be my first autoloader if I went in that direction. What do y'all prefer and why?

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Automatic because it is automatic. :p

3. indy36

indy36 New Member

You have to have a purpose to answer this. Skeet? That's over/under. Home defense is pump. 3-gun competition is semi-auto. Bird hunting? Depends on what bird.

4. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

For hunting I like my over and under because the barrels are choked differently and I can reach out further with that second shot if I need to shoot again. Home defense its a pump since they are usually lighter than the auto but hold more ammo than my over and under.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Depends on your budget. Any bird that flies or struts can be taken with an autoloader.

6. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I do not like O/Us of any ilk, and for any kind of serious clay target shooting I would definitely get a gas semi auto. Before someone says you can do it all with a pump, you can, but It is not the easiest or preferred option. I would inquire how many really good clay shooters use one, other than for singles trap. You can drag race with a Yugo, but it's not quite the same thing.

7. jrobbins59

jrobbins59 New Member

O/U only holds two shots. Auto loaders will jam at one time or another. Only choice there is the best Remington 870. Never jam never misfire. Goes boom boom boom every time.

8. juststartin5272

juststartin5272 New Member

The gun will be used in a home defense/tactical shotgun role. The current candidates for me are the mossberg 590 and 930. Have lots of familiarity with tact reloads of a pump not too swift with a autoloader haven't shot them enough.