Auto sear legal to own?

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by moneymaker17, Aug 29, 2012.

1. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

i was at a gun show in md, and i saw a "auto sear m16 kit" i thought these things were illegal? and a BIG NO NO..

:confused:

2. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Legality, I don't know. But if I owned one I wouldn't tell a soul.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Not illegal with the right paperwork, tax stamp paid, etc.

4. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

so it would have to be purchased class lll?

5. m72law

m72law New Member

For study,no problem...

For copywriting,becareful:eek:

6. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

It would have to be a pre-86 registered auto sear in order for it to be legal for the general public to own.Then you would need to fill out the paper work along with a $200 check to the BATFE,and wait until they OK everything and send you a Tax stamp for the item.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

So what were they asking for it. I have seen these things at stupid prices

8. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Wait, if you did all the legal work, would it actually be legal to put one in a standard AR-15 to make it full auto?

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

U would have to do ur research. IL no way they wont even issue the stamp. :( unless its for a police dept. It varies from state to state. Lots of rules. Lots of time and money

10. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I'm sorry i have had a long day, but what exactly are you asking?

11. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

Is it legal, to own a full auto sear kit, in the package, not tempering with anything but just to own the kit and stare at it. period.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Are you talking about an auto sear for a semi auto rifle like the AR or the AK?

Well, I am not sure about "owning" but applying it to any existing non full auto and registered rifle/long gun is going to get you in a world of trouble I believe.

You can't "modify or manufacture" a machine gun without a ton of legal and federal regulations post the 1986 Machine Weapons Ban.

13. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Ooohh ok. I am may be wrong but i think you have to have the required permits and tax stamps to even own the mechanism.

14. m72law

m72law New Member

Dont buy from SEAR's they are to hi!!!:D

15. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Aaaaahhh, no

16. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

If it is legal in your state to own full auto weapons,and the sear is one that was registered by the 1986 weapons deadline,then yes,you could put it in your lower.But I believe you would have to have the lower marked (Selective Fire)for it to be legal.
    I have a friend that has 2 full auto converted AR's,he bought the auto sear kits back in the 1980's,and did all of the legal stuff thru a local Class 3 dealer.

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Have you ever seen the inside of a full auto AR lower? The cutouts are a bit more "open" than in a standard civilian lower for clearances of said "auto toys". ;)

I asked if I could post pictures of the two side by side at one point and it was discussed. As the pictures are not here, I think you can figure out what the concsensus was. :p

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Jon- please check me on this- you are the M16 guy- I just shoot them.

Ownership of the PARTS is not illegal IF you do not possess an AR that will accept them.

Most AR rifles CANNOT simply have parts dropped in, and become a functional full auto- a lie that is spread by the media. There are several parts, and NO PLACE FOR THEM TO FIT INTO.

IF you had a semi that you could drop a part into, and make into a full auto, THAT is considered to be "Readily convertible" and is already outlawed.

IF you possess an AR that HAS been modified, AND possess Full Auto fire control parts, THAT is considered "constructive possession" of a machine gun.

Pictures for you- http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/registeredreceiver.htm