Auto Ordnance?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by SafariSam, Apr 30, 2012.

1. SafariSam

SafariSam New Member

can anyone tell me about the quality of Auto Ordnance 1911s? i'm looking for a 1911 that looks exactly like what the military used to use and i haven't seen one that looks more authenic the ones by Auto Ordnance.

2. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

Their are mixed reviews/thoughts on many forums. Some say the older versions were crap and the newer versions better and vice versa. I had one of the older versions and can't remember much about it other than it always went 'bang'.
    I got a Remington 1911R1, plain jane on impulse. It looked the part, however no lanyard. It has the plain wooden/checkered stocks/grips. Shoots very well and never looked back.
    Did you take a look at the Springfields or the Rock Islands?

3. alxltd1

alxltd1 New Member

I bought two when they first came out years ago. Gave one to my brother and the other remains in my rack. They both have functioned well and serve their purpose. I cant speak to the "newer" ones or that I am aware of any differences between them.

4. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

The Auto Ordnance is a good Mil Spec 1911. I have owned some of them in the past and have never had any problems with them. I have also used them as a base gun in some custom builds. The AO should serve you well if you get one..

Jim...........

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I too had a older one-
    Don't recall any problems with it--
    Guess it didn't impress me enuff to keep it tho :eek:

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Have you looked at Colt?

My Colt Model 01911ANVIII;

[​IMG]

7. SafariSam

SafariSam New Member

yes and i don't think they are making anymore models like the one you have and if they were i'd get one as fast as i could. i do own a Colt Series 70 1911 though and plan on getting more colts in the future. but for the 1911 i want at the moment i want one that is as much of an authentic copy of the 1911s the military used during the WWII, Korea, Vietnam era. and i can't find any other that look more authentic than the Auto Ordnance models. another 1911 that i like very much is the Springfield Mil-Specs even though they don't look as much like the real deal as the Auto Ordnance.

thanks very much to everyone else here for helping with info as well.

8. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

Springfield has a GI model that very authentic. Hard to find but very close to the old military models

9. rifleshooter474

rifleshooter474 New Member

When a handgun Mfg. wants to get their products sold in the USA, they get a lot of Advertisement out to the firearm buying public. They get their products reviewed in the major firearm Mags. How they get good reviews is to cotton up to the reviewers, meaning giving them things to make them happy reviewers. They surly understand they need to grease the gears and wheels to get things rolling in their favor. A good example is Kimber they leave no stone unturned in getting good reviews, even as their quality is failing. So we don't see a lot of real coverage for the Auto Ordnance 1911s, even as A.O. is a top firearm Mfg. on a smaler scale then Kimber Colt and S&W also Springfield Armory. So it's up to the people who have bought their products to stand up for their 1911s.;)

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  10. NickySantoro

NickySantoro New Member

As others have noted, reviews have been mixed. Reportedly, the newer AOs (Kahr owned) are better than the older West Hurley AOs. FWIW, I've had a West Hurley AO for over 25 years and after replacing the junk mag that came with it and polishing the feed ramp, it's been 100% with every ammo type I've tried. In my experience the majority, likely not all, of the bad mouthing of the AOs comes from couch commandos who never saw, much less owned or fired one.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  11. SafariSam

SafariSam New Member

thanks for the info! it seems most of the reviews here have been positive for the AO 1911s.

12. Browningauto

Browningauto New Member

1911a1 wwii pkz series 80

Son replaced a SA 1911A1 that was stolen with AO pistol and had all kind of feed problems. Brought it home and field stripped it, polished the feed ramps w/extra fine grit sandpaper and it shoots like a champ now. It appears that on the bottom of the barrel feed ramp there was a minute piece of metal chipped away by the cartridge case trying to feed. It could have come from the factory this way I don't know. Didn't get a look at the internals before it was shot and malfunctioned. Had one stove pipe, but other than that I works fine now. Not quite sure what he paid for it, so I don't know if he got a good deal or not. Don't know if I'd use it for a carry gun, but for a handy gun around the house it would probably be ok. Personally I carry a Glock 23.

13. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

I just got by 1911 back from Kahr and I havent been very impressed so far. I won the gun in a raffle in Aug.and after shooting it a few times the front sight flew off. After I got that fixed I started having feed and eject and problems. After tryng different types of ammo I finally returned it to Kahr for repairs. amoung other things they found that the frame was out of specs and needed to be replaced. They also apparently also had to replace the ejector. I have only had time to shoot a few rounds and it seems to be working. I would not expect this many problems with a gun that costs as much as these do. I do not think I will be doing anymore business with Kahr.

Ken

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I know SafariSam hasn't posted here for months but just in case he's lurking or more importantly, for you C&R holders, this is from my latest Shotgun News.

Old canebrake just may buy another Colt. (Well, a "near" Colt.) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Hey, send me the details on that ad if you wouldn't mind. I'd love to pick up a Sistema for a project gun.

16. Ruger52

Ruger52 New Member

Just wondering. Can you buy the old government models. Does anyone see them for sale. I carried one for 20 years in the army. Damned if they didn't make me turn it in when I retired. LOL

17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

See some on auctions at times-
    They don't really give them away :eek:

18. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

I live in the town right next to the city, Worcester ma, that the factory is in.