auto ordinance

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by mountainman13, Sep 23, 2012.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Been getting a lot of complaints about their 1911's. Actually have to go test fire one today. The kid brought it back due to FTF and fte. I'm guessing it was his ammo but I'll run a box through it anyway. Anyone have experience with these guns? What do you think of them?

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Kahr took over AO in 1999 and the general consensus is that they have made improvements. Given that, there's enough remaining negative feedback that it's old, bad reputation is slow to end.

Of all the cons I've heard about the AO, the supplied magazine seams to be the center of most issues. The unanimity is that they're junk!

The second complaint that may contribute to your customer's problem is that a significant number of AO's require some extractor tuning. (Typical of unmodified ejection port 1911s.)

Does the owner's manual really require the owner to "...use only ball (FMJ) ammo..."?

Good luck.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Well I ran a box of ammo through the gun. Couldn't get through a single magazine. I'm gonna polish the ramp and try it with a different magazine.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Bought one in 87- was shooting some matches that required a "rack issue" quality pistol. Polished feed ramp, got some decent mags, shoots OK. Quality of machining is not the best. Really likes cheap aluminum cased Blazer.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Ok cool. I'll add trying blazer to my list. Thanks.

6. StukaJU87

StukaJU87 New Member

The Kahr mags are questionable at best. I had some issues when I first got mine, swaped the factory mag with a cheap 7rd mag I picked up at a gun show for $10 and bingo, problem solved. A few hundred rounds later, still not one problem. The only time it acts up is if I try to use the factory mag.

Try different mags first! It's always the cheapest and easiest solution.