Auto for Home Defense

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by BigMac10, Aug 2, 2007.

1. BigMac10

BigMac10 New Member

What auto would you use for home defense and why?

2. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Look left.

A nine mm should be enough for HD, but I have more than that available. It's backed up by a .357 and long guns/shotgun.

3. Gearguy10

Gearguy10 New Member

Whatever you are most comfortable with and know very well. The key is knowing how to operate it under stress and disorientation, both of which you'll experience when you're sound asleep and your back door gets kicked in.

Personally I keep a .38 snubby revolver with +p rounds within reach from my bed and my Kimber 1911 .45 within a couple steps. Once I have the .45 my wife gets the .38.

4. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I like to keep a Springfield XD45 with SureFire X200B on it with a SureFire M3 close at hand. My wife keeps her Sig P220 or my other XD45. Plus there is a combat shotgun close my.

5. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

I live deep in the woods, so usually break-ins/home invasions are ugly and brutal in my neck of the woods, because there's no witnesses and neighbors are so spaced out that no one hears anything. I have a shotgun loaded with 00 Buck next to my bed and a .40 cal in my nightstand's drawer which I leave slightly pulled out. The wife sleeps with her .38 Spl in her nightstand's drawer.
    Too much fire power? I think not...it's survival.

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

No such thing as overarmed. :)

7. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

+1 agreed!! ;)

8. more forty fives

more forty fives New Member

Would have to be a .45acp because that's what I shoot the most.

9. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

My Auto home defence weapon is a Winchester Super X2 Practical Tactical .12 guage shotgun loaded mostly with 00 Buck and a couple or so slugs. With 2-3/4 shells it holds 8 in the tube and one in the chamber for a total of 9 rounds. It'll also chamber 3" and 3-1/2" shells. All other weapons are kept locked up in safe.

The GF as of the last several months has nicknamed it "Ol' Painless"

10. Angrypoonani

Angrypoonani New Member

M&P .40 in the top of my bunk with an extra full mag just in case I can't hit anything:p

But shotties are probably the safest and simplest to use cuz they don't go through walls super well and they have a good spread on them if you have a short barrel without a choke, you never know you may miss once.

11. Stealie

Stealie New Member

+1 and the same goes for ammo.

12. CCW357

CCW357 New Member

Kimber Ultra Raptor ,and my 870 Remmington close by for backup

13. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

My bedside handgun changes occasionally. Sometimes it's a revolver and sometimes it's a semi. My wife always has her S&W model 60 loaded with .38 HP's in her nightstand.

There's also a Mossberg 500 short barrel loaded with 00 Buck within arms reach on my side. We both have small Surefire flashlights in our nightstands as well.

If that doesn't work, I have an AC130 orbiting overhead at all times. :cool:

14. mangy

mangy New Member

I like the 45 with rail for my light/laser:)

15. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I've got my S&W 686 on me all the time, since .357s is what I shoot best and I've got a wheelgun fetish.

I do keep two semiautos in the bedroom, a Para 14-45 and a S&W M&P 9mm. I got the M&P because my girlfriend can't handle my revolvers or the big double stack 1911, but she is reasonably accurate with the M&P (getting her to the range is close to imposible).

16. Buff

Buff New Member

Glock 23 with Gold Dots. Just got a Bersa 9 High Capacity Pro. Will shoot it first time tomorrow morning. Also a couple of Bersa 380s in the closet with Powerballs.

17. davewilson16

davewilson16 New Member

I use S&W M&P 9mm with the Nightwatch Mag Clamp system. Keep it in the nightstand with the spare mag right on the gun.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR4-8Pgb_Pg]YouTube - Shooting the Nightwatch Handgun Magazine System[/ame]

18. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

Colt 1911 5" on my night stand along with a glock 17 with 33 rd mag. OH YEAH!!!

19. hawkman1

hawkman1 New Member

full size baby eagle 40 s&w stays in a portable gun safe next to my bed. I would also have a 12 gauge coach gun if I could afford it but buying a Kimber.

20. Seal

Seal New Member

My cop friend has a g17 with two 33rd mags. I have to say it looks really gangster :).