Australian Cyclone

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by falseharmonix, Feb 1, 2011.

1. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

Any of our Australian members going to be affected by this storm? It sounds nasty.

SOURCE

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Saw this in the news earlier. It sure sounds like this is exactly what our friends down under do not need :(

3. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

4. AusLach

AusLach New Member

It's going to cross the coast between 10 and midnight tonight... Z, Morgo and myself are well out of harms way, but this tropical cyclone is going to be much worse than the one that hit on Monday. The eye of the storm is 70 km (almost 50 miles) across! Mother nature is definitely not on Australia's side at the moment :(

Thanks for your concern guys.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  5. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

Well, certainly keep us posted. Mother nature doesn't seem to be on anyone's side recently.....

6. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Indeed not; you get frozen and we get either burned to a crisp or blown away...

[​IMG]
    Manhattan

[​IMG]
    Cyclone Yasi. Be very afraid - look at the size of it now.

All prayers to those up in QLD. The Army advised 40 000 people to get out of Cairns last night, although if they have left it too late where they'll go I don't know now as the roads have been closed. Evacuations of hospitals etc by military choppers have been the largest in history. Unfortunately its sheer bad timing that means it will hit at high tide, producing a storm surge of at least 2 metres - so that's increased the likelihood of tsunami conditions. Some poor bastards haven't fully rebuilt since Cyclone Larry in 2005-06 :(

Hottest week ever on record in Sydney, topped 41* yesterday god it was like a blast furnace, and predicted to continue into next week. Naturally some idiot has been lighting bushfires out west, smell of smoke was very strong all last night.

But I have little to complain about at all compared to the impending hell which is about to be unleashed on Queenslanders.

Like Aus, I thank you guys for your concern.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

All of you and yours stay safe.

Prayers and kind thoughts on the way for your countrymen.

8. zhuk

zhuk New Member

[​IMG]

A very sobering comparison

9. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Storm surge is expected to reach 4.5 metres. That's a tide of almost 15 feet above sea level :eek:

I heard about those fires Z, how close are they to where you are? Jeez I'd like to get my hands on whoever started them :mad:

10. zhuk

zhuk New Member

I know it unnerves me just contemplating what they're facing and I'm more than 1000 ks away...

Yeah they caught some teenagers setting fire to scrubland out in the western subs (pity we got rid of chain gangs a century or so ago, huh) and another fire around Lane Cove National park, in the north. So not near me at all but I couldn't have opened the windows last night, even if it had been cool enough. Pretty strong.

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Damn guys! Stay as safe as you can and don't be afraid to stock up a few supplies if you can in case you need to last a few days without support.

We will keeping you in our thoughts and hoping you and your families escaped unscathed.

Good luck and Godspeed!!

Please check in when you can and let us know how you are doing if at all possible.

JD

12. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Update

The tropical storm is now bigger than Tasmania, one of Australia's states. The storm surge is now expected to be 6 metres (over 18 feet) above sea level, and this will also coincide with tonight's high tide. Constant winds are predicted to measure 260 km/h (160m/h), with gusts reaching 400 km/h (250mph). The energy released from the storm in the past two days would be enough to power the entire planet for the next year :eek:

Hopefully no lives are lost :fingers crossed:

13. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Un-freaking-believable when you read about it isn't it. On the evening news it was reported that the storm was the size of most of North America (huh?) which seemed incredible, until I found this overlay

[​IMG]

and Euro comparison

[​IMG]

Supposedly they are in for a 3 hour thrashing then 1 hour of calm eye then another 3 hours. The pressure differential could be enough to cause lighter structures to implode...

I wait with growing foreboding for the late news reports :(

14. AusLach

AusLach New Member

I know, we're going to be hearing and seeing some pretty ugly reports come morning I'll wager.. Poor bastards will be copping it hard.

I heard Bligh on the news imploring people to stay under cover for at least the next 24 hours, she's worried everyone will come out after the first side has hit and think the eye of the cyclone is the end of it.

I tell ya, she may have been under fire over the past couple of years from the QLD public but after her performance during the past month I reckon she'll be in Federal politics by the end of the year. She has really personified the Aussie fighting spirit, I think it's a credit to her :eek:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  15. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Hey I agree with you Aus. She's done her State proud...a whole lot better than Gillard's wooden "deer-in-the-headlights-I've-got-a-rod-up-my-arse" performance. Or is that just me lol

I suppose its best to spell everything out. Bligh calmly told everybody "not to panic when your roof blows off", which while true, might be being a little optimistic heh.

But some people have got that 'eff-you' sense of humour I see...classic :D

[​IMG]

16. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

You folks really need to do some serious sacrificial appeasing to Mother Nature for whatever transgressions you may have committed! :eek:

That storm is an absolute monster :eek: I sure hope the folks along the coast have prepared themselves as best they can.

Good luck and prayers and thoughts are with you.

17. AusLach

AusLach New Member

18. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

Zhuk, that overlay is mind blowing......ive got a couch you're welcome to.....

19. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Very encouraging Aus. No reports as yet of deaths or even injuries, and although they haven't got into some smaller communities which are cut off and it's still early that's quite something, considering.

Let's hope it stays that way.

Some photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]