Auschwitz

Discussion in 'History' started by ShagNasty1001, Jul 14, 2012.

1. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Im in Poland as part of a school study abroad trip and we got to go to Auschwitz today. Very depressing but very very amazing at the same time. If you guys ever have the chance to go, do it. It will change your life forever. The pictures with the big brick buildings are from Auschwitz 1 and the open areas are 3 kilometers away at Auschwitz 2. Also the picture with the single chimney is one of the two I believe remaining gas chambers. The others wee destroyed before the Russians invaded

Attached Files:

2. marc29th

marc29th Member

Thanks for sharing, least we forget the evil man can do.

3. KalashnikovJosh

KalashnikovJosh New Member

May I add one more picture to your work?

[​IMG]

4. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I have always wanted to go, but I doubt that I will ever get to. I do intend to see Dachau though.

5. jujutsuka

jujutsuka New Member

There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men.
    - Edmund Burke

This is precisely why 2A exists, and why we must not forsake it.

6. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

7. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

I went to Dachau when I was stationed in Germany. They recreated the camp. The original had to be torched due to disease & infestation. The phrase "Never Again" is prominently displayed there as well.

Yet, Europe did nothing during the Bosnian War or Rwanda. I would hate to have my life dependent on the United Nations. It's primary purpose seems to be giving diplomats free parking & freedom from parking tickets in New York.

8. fireguy

fireguy New Member

My wife just came back a few days ago from a 4 day course at the Holocaust Museum in D.C. The course was structured to help teachers to cover the Holocaust in their classrooms. After the first day when she got back to the hotel she couldn't stop bawling. It was a horrible event that we need to make sure isn't repeated.

9. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I went to the museum in DC with my students years ago. It was heartbreaking.

10. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Here are a few more photos. The cattle box car is actually an original, but it isn't sure if it were used for deportations or other utilities but it was used in WW2

Attached Files:

11. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Thanks for sharing these photos shag nasty just seeing them makes me want to go see it the pic with the shoes gave me chills

12. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Oh it's my pleasure. Some of the stuff they have on display and let you go through will give you some of the most sickening feelings ever but it's such a good experience at the same time. Like walking through the gas chamber (which I was surprised we were allowed to do) they turned off all electronics and asked us to be quiet as we made a loop from that to where the furnaces were. Most chilling feeling ever. If anyone gets the chance to go or offered a chance to go in the Kraków area, take it as it is only an hour bus ride and well worth it

13. Vincine

Vincine New Member

One of the best responses to the holocaust I've heard.

One of the best responses to the holocaust I've heard is this story about Dolly Parton.

Not having received the benefit of thorough education in the back hills of Tennessee, she didn’t know much about a lot of things, including WWII. After she had some of her early success, she took a trip to Europe. She went on a tour of one of the concentration camps. When the tour guide explained what it was that happened there, her response was; “YOU DID WHAT!?”, and she took the next train out of Germany.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  14. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

We were actually told a story by our guide while at Auschwitz 2, which was the larger of the camps, that I believe he said Mengele's son came to visit 45 years after the war and recognized his dad in a picture selecting the people and had no idea he was part of it, yet alone that famous for it

15. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

When stationed in Germany, got to see Dachu in 2004 and in 2007 went to Buchenwald in the former East Germany.

16. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

The collection of shoes is what brought most of my students to tears.

17. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I read the story that Glenn Beck put up on his site after his visit last year, he had several pictures also... The feeling that you get in the pit of your stomach is indescribable, I can't imagine being there.:(

Assuming I have the opportunity, I am going to France for the 75th anniversary of the Normandy landings. I'll make it a point to get to one of the camps.

18. willshoum

willshoum New Member

The cost of war......

Adolf Hitler paid for his military and suplies through the jews, what ever he could steal, and forced labor fed the German war Machine.....Till this day there are people that swear that the irradication never occured........:mad:

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A good friend (Dale) and his wife were semi-retired, ran a local used book shop. Very laid back kind of man, usually stopped in to have a cup of coffee and a cigarette with him, BS for a while.

As I was walking up to the shop on afternoon, door flew open, young man came (literally) flying out, followed by Dale- who was livid, "Get out of my shop. I don't want your business, and I do not need your business. If you ever set foot here again I will KICK YOUR ***!" Subject was up, scrambling, and running.

Asked Dale what in the world was going on- was he OK? Still red in the face, he told me that the youngster had come in the shop, and started to berate him for having a few books about the Holocaust- it never happened, it was all a fake, etc etc etc.

Told Dale- look, there are always an idiot or 2 around that thinks they no what no one else does. Dale- a WW 2 combat medic- said "Yeah. I know. But I know what I know- and I was there at Buchenwald when General George Patton was puking on his boots."

(report was that conditions at Buchenwald were so bad right after liberation that Gen. Patton vomited at the sights and smells)

20. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Now that I.....

Can believe, along with every other man in the unit......I just love to watch the films of the German citizens having to go thru the camps and seeing what they have done and to remove and bury the dead.......We should have removed the German race from the face of the earth......Along with the Japs........How many did Stalin kill and blame on the germans..........10 million ???????????:mad: