Augmentations

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by unclebear, Oct 4, 2011.

1. unclebear

unclebear New Member

my older brother has been playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, for those of you that don't know it's one of those government conspiracy shoot'em up games. But the giant topic in the game is human augmentations to make people faster, stronger, able to see through walls...etc.

The biggest thing on my mind was if you could get augmentations for anything what would it be or would you just not go with it, or do you think it's an horrible idea and should never happen?

Personally I would go for it, I got a bad knee and a bad back, and my eye sight isn't as good as it use to be. But I would keep it within limits, unlike most people now a days with plastic surgery. If I could afford it I would go with it.

What do you guys think?

(please keep it clean!)

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Intertesting concept- would you mind if we rachet this up a notch? You can have augmentation X, but it will cost you Y.

ie- you can have double the strength of an ordinary mortal- at a price of half the lifespan. You can read minds- at the cost of premature senility.

So.....what's it worth to you?

Me- I have grown accustomed to the short dumpy person with assorted aches and pains. But the ability to regenerate a lost body part would be worth thinking about........ but at what price?

3. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I like that idea. Much like modern medicine, a lot seem to be oblivious to the side effects, which sometimes seem worse than the illness itself.
    I'm used to my aches and pains by now, so to me, the idea of dropping them to gain a benefit, only to acquire a different problem, offsets this.
    I think I'd have to just stick to what God gave me and go from there.

4. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I think if medicine advances to a stage where we have this tech then it could help, while true if it shortens ones life span that's a down side. But lets say theirs a man that was in an accident and couldn't walk, but he could get augmented and it would cut 20 years off his life span but he would be able to walk for the rest of his life.

I think there would be a place for such tech, but the little voice inside of my head is telling me that people would abuse it much like plastic surgery now a days, or they would get it to help them commit crimes and what not.

5. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

I would increase my brains ability to process information.

I don't think I would give anything up for it though.

6. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

No joke. I forget everything anymore. I ordered one of those memory improvement courses but forgot where the hell I put it...

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had cataract surgery in both eyes (new lenses). That augmentation fixed it so I could see. My wife had the same surgery. She has to wear hearing aids which are another augmentation. Without them she would nearly deaf. A woman born deaf just had an implant installed that allow her to hear for the 1st time. Hips, knees etc. Augmentations are great.

8. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Ignorance is Bliss

...I know too much already. :D